Calling all cardio vs weights know it alls ;-)

Options
124»

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Actually, in power lifting you should only used mixed on the last set or so and only if you need it. Not sure about crossfit though - probably makes sense as its higher reps so your hands would get sweaty.
    It's actually not all high rep, those are just the workouts that people tend to make videos of for some reason so people have the impression that every workout is a million reps. Usually we spend about half of each hour doing 5x5 or 5-3-1 stuff. I think the workout shown in the photo was a strength training workout so she was using a mixed grip for a heavy, low-rep lift.

For the high rep workouts, I've seen both mixed and overhand grips, so I guess it's personal preference, but I'd say overhand is more common.
    Here's a video of the same athlete doing a workout with high rep deadlifts using an overhand grip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZ-nmzraVI
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Actually, in power lifting you should only used mixed on the last set or so and only if you need it. Not sure about crossfit though - probably makes sense as its higher reps so your hands would get sweaty.
    It's actually not all high rep, those are just the workouts that people tend to make videos of for some reason so people have the impression that every workout is a million reps. Usually we spend about half of each hour doing 5x5 or 5-3-1 stuff. I think the workout shown in the photo was a strength training workout so she was using a mixed grip for a heavy, low-rep lift.

For the high rep workouts, I've seen both mixed and overhand grips, so I guess it's personal preference, but I'd say overhand is more common.
    Here's a video of the same athlete doing a workout with high rep deadlifts using an overhand grip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZ-nmzraVI

Makes sense - that's youtube for you :-). I do overhand for my DL or rack pull assists which are slightly higher reps (10).
  • nailtechbec
    nailtechbec Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it, I think I'll stick with the zumba and DVDs for a couple of weeks until I've improved my general fitness levels ( I can pick up milk but can't do a proper push up ) and when I feel ready move on and incorporate some weights !
    If anyone is on a similar journey to me or finished a similar journey ( I'm 5'8 190lbs with a goal weight of 154ish and want to try and get there by my wedding day 3rd may ) then feel free to add me ! I'm now 100% committed to this and I will get it done with all your help and advice !
    Thanks again x x
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Your plan sounds great! Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll hit your goals :)