Banking Calories

Options
I have a question about banking calories. I have been following the advice of most people here and have been eating all of my calories every day, including exercise calories. When I previously did Weight Watchers and a part of the plan is that you have extra points that you can have during the week and you can also bank activity points that you earned for days when you eat more than normal.

My question is, does anyone think it might be worthwhile to bank calories for the week using this program, to account for days like Thanksgiving, or is it best to eat all of our calories every day and know that you will just go over your goal on "splurge" days?

Thanks! Hope this makes sense.

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do something like this, but in reverse. If I am going out one night and know I will go over my calories by a significant amount, I will quick-add the extra to upcoming days. So, if I went 500 over, I will quick add 250 to the next two days and thus eat a little less on those days. I still have some non-logging days, when I just have whatever I want and don't think about it at all, but if I want a treat and I am out of calories for it, I find that doing the quick adding works pretty well. It all averages out over time.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    For me it's not a matter of banking calories, it's eating when I'm hungry and not when I'm not. Some days I'm under, some I'm over. Very rarely am I right at plan. I look at the overall average for a week or two rather than the day to day. Yesterday we went out to dinner & movies and I was way over. Today, will likely be less than plan.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't normally bank any calories or splurge too often but I was working out my weekly cals and I was under so I allowed myself a brownie and 2 dark choc coated macadamia chocolates yesterday. I am happy I was able to have my little chocolate fix.

Do what works for you.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't bank them ahead; I do good to go day by day.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    For me it's not a matter of banking calories, it's eating when I'm hungry and not when I'm not. Some days I'm under, some I'm over. Very rarely am I right at plan. I look at the overall average for a week or two rather than the day to day. Yesterday we went out to dinner & movies and I was way over. Today, will likely be less than plan.

This is basically what I do also. That said, if I look back at the previous 5 days and see I was around 200 under goal (this happened recently) for a total of 1000 calories under goal, if I want to splurge a little, I do it with no worries whatsoever. I don't even consider that a cheat day. So you could say I'm banking calories in that sense.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes do whatever works for you. Lots of people will write off a big day which is a good idea for special occassions and I have done it a few times but mostly if I know something is coming up I'll bank up some calories the week before and exercise more and if it was a really big blow out maybe keep doing it for the week after too. Best of luck! It just depends on if you are ok with it taking a little longer or not in which way you go.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    You could calorie cycle, eat less some days of the week and eat more on the others, making sure the 7 days averages out to your calorie goal.
    You could eat 2 days a week at 1,800 calories and 5 days at 1,200. Your week average would be: 1,371 daily. Not too shabby eh?
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes I bank them. Some days I am so busy at work that I can not think about food too much so on those days I'm having extra calories. These I can expend when I want to, like I will on Thanksgiving. But I'm making sure that I know what and pretty much how much I'll eat. I do not plan to splurge and just go crazy and eat whatever as as much as I would have in the past. I'll control portions still, but I'll have pie and other things too. This is where my banked calories will be used. I don't bank for more than a week though because it's to hard to keep track of so if I don't use them they are gone and I start anew the next week. I'm 54 so I do not have the energy of the young people (or the free time it seems!) to exercise heavily everyday. I'm on 1200 and I do eat less than that if I can---these are my banked calories, that I can use for something I love--like cake or pie! I exercise by dancing, raking, treadmil, walking, gardening (in the spring and summer of course), and cleaning my house. I also sing and am learning how to play the piano. Not what yopu'd call high impact exercises but this is my life and I love it. 1200 calories is enough for some people like me who are older and less active.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I look more at my weekly average than I do my day to day average. The app is great for this, as it will give you a nice chart to go off of, as well as give you how many calories you are under for the week. With my being pregnant, some days I eat alot, others not so much. So looking at the week, as long as my weekly totals are close to what they need to be, I don't worry as much.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I don't "bank" calories, if i exercise that day, I don't mind eating those back, but never eat them back "just to do it" only if i feel hungry. I never go back and count previously low calorie days and think, "well I'm going to eat all those today". I'm not saying it's wrong to do that, I have a friend that sort of does this. I don't. I've been really happy with my results so far.
  • rosesigil
    Options
    I sometimes do something like this, but in reverse. If I am going out one night and know I will go over my calories by a significant amount, I will quick-add the extra to upcoming days. So, if I went 500 over, I will quick add 250 to the next two days and thus eat a little less on those days. I still have some non-logging days, when I just have whatever I want and don't think about it at all, but if I want a treat and I am out of calories for it, I find that doing the quick adding works pretty well. It all averages out over time.

This is a good tactic also and so is banking which is what I do; this would work like on an unexpected splurge too like going out on the spur of the moment.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I like this idea. I had a really bad day yesterday and am going to try this this week to help level myself out from yesterday!
  • rosesigil
    Options
    I look more at my weekly average than I do my day to day average. The app is great for this, as it will give you a nice chart to go off of, as well as give you how many calories you are under for the week. With my being pregnant, some days I eat alot, others not so much. So looking at the week, as long as my weekly totals are close to what they need to be, I don't worry as much.

Hi, what app is it that does this? Tells you how many calories you are under for the week and the chart? That would be great for me what with banking and all.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I try to work day by day and not bank calories, and try not to eat a significant amount of my exercise calories back (I may eat a few back if I feel like I want to eat something - but something good like fruit etc not sweets or fatty foods).
    If I go over a day etc then I don't let it bother me.
  • goonas
    Options

Hi, what app is it that does this? Tells you how many calories you are under for the week and the chart? That would be great for me what with banking and all.

Umm, the My Fitness Pal app!!
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    totally. do it.
    just don't be so extreme that you're starving on any given day, because you might just set yourself up for craving a high calorie meal.
    My nutritionist and I talk regularly about how one of the most valuable skills one can have for lasting weight loss is planning ahead and letting yourself have those high calorie days, in your and WW terms, "banking".
    It's best to bank ahead of time as opposed to after the fact. And banking could easily just be 50-100 calories shy of goal a day for 3 days before your planned event. That's 150-300 extra calories! (then I try to burn extra calories to make up the rest)
    It's a good plan for special occasions, but I try to do it even for when I PMS. I know I'll need eat more calories for a couple days, so I'll try to "bank" a hundred or so a day for 2 days before I expect the PMS to strike.
    Weight loss only happens with calorie deficit over time, so bank away and use your savings within the week.
  • rosesigil
    Options

Yeah but I mean where on this site is that info?
  • goonas
    Options

It on the My Fitness Pal App ! (not the site.)

And looks like this
    0FA442BB-E54D-49B0-B562-11EFC899851F-6711-0000037A2AAFCF6E.jpg
  • rosesigil
    Options

It on the My Fitness Pal App ! (not the site.)

And looks like this
    0FA442BB-E54D-49B0-B562-11EFC899851F-6711-0000037A2AAFCF6E.jpg

Oh! :blushing: OK, thanks!
  • cbon924
    cbon924 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! That helps a ton!