I do fine until dinner it seems? NEED HELP

Options
Today for example I was doing great on Cals until dinner- Of course its just an estimate because i cant find nutritional info for the Pizza joint im getting, but still. Same with yesterday except snacks put me over.

How do you balance everything and not feel hungry?

My diary is private but to give you an idea:
Honey Nut Cheerios 3/4cx2
Minute Maid OJ 8oz

1 hot w/ketchup,mustard,relish (all 1/2 servings) on bun w/watermelon chunks (1c)
water

dinner will be 2 slices of pizza with 2 breadsticks with a mt dew

so no snacks today and im over :(

Replies

• frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    What's your daily calorie level? Also, having more protein will help you feel full. Cheerios plus OJ = rapidly metabolized, will make you hungry quickly. Adding protein to breakfast will help level out your blood sugars.
  • nkturner11
    Options
    If you stop drinking your calories, you'll have more left over for food. I never drink juice or soda, especially regular soda. Increase protein and vegetables to feel full longer.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Your cals seem low if that is putting you over. But, if that's what you want to remain at, exercise more and earn more calories! Or, swap the high cal carbs for fruit, veggies, low cal dairy (cottage cheese, yoghurt etc)
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    What are your cals set at? Also if you choose healthier foods you would be surprised at how much you can eat and still be under.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Replace the sugary cereal and the OJ with things which offer better "value" both nutritionally and in terms of fullness for those calories, is what I'd say. Then you won't be so hungry cone dinner time and you'll have more calories to play with.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    What helps a LOT is to pre-log your food as much as you possibly can. Sounds like you could be eating too little and and not enough veggies! Fill up on them and eat lean protein with every meal if you can. Lots of water. I wouldn't be eating cheerios and OJ, wasted calories but OK now and then. Try oatmeal or other healthier cereals, wholegrain toast with nut butter/eggs smoothies with protein powder and fruit/ chia/ veggies/almond milk or dairy etc etc.. Eat some yogurt without added sugar everyday it's good for you and a good snack. Two serves of fruit too.
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Is that a typical day's food? Hot dogs and pizza aren't the most nutritious choices. No vegetables and only watermelon chunks and OJ for fruit. Cutting the Mt Dew with dinner is an easy way to lower today's calories.
  • caseysexton5
    caseysexton5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    2 scrambled eggs in the morning will keep you full longer, and with less calories. instead of a hotdog, do a whole wheat pb&j, instead of pizza have a nice chicken caesar salad.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I agree with frosty, I think the way you eat will make you hungry. The refined carbs in breakfast and lunch will spike your blood sugar with a subsequent crash and you'll be starving for snacks and eat tons at dinner.

I do better when I get some protein and complex carbs at breakfast, and snack on a small handful of almonds if I get hungry. Letting myself get too hungry is a big problem, so I have almonds stashed everywhere.

I obviously couldn't see your diary, but what you showed didn't show much in the way of vegetables, they provide a lot of fiber and make you feel full.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 cals for a year plus exercise cals to lose my weight.

I can not remember the exact foods that I was eating...but here is an example day

breakfast
    2 rashers of bacon and 1 egg
    mid morning snack
    slice of toast with butter
    lunch some chicken and ham with apple
    afternoon snack
    cheddar biscuits with some cheese
    dinner
    pork chop with veggies
    supper
    some peanuts & glass of wine
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the above posters: your choice in food is not ideal to keep you full throughout the day. I eat oatmeal pretty much every morning for breakfast - it keeps me full. I LOVE cereal, but I don't eat it often and only as a snack not a full meal. It doesn't fill me up and it's high in carbs and calories.

Filling your meals with fruits and veggies and less processed foods will keep your calories low and you'll be surprised at how many calories you'll have left at the end of the day. I would add "sodium" to your macros if you haven't done it already, because from what you are showing that you're eating you're probably close if not over your sodium level for the day - which will make you retain water, feel miserable, and prevent you from seeing a big difference on the scale.

Also a tip to controlling your appetite: drink your water. I don't know how many cups of water you're drinking, but if it's just the one you need more than that. If you're drinking the recommended 8 cups a day it will also help keep you feeling satisfied.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/foods-from-dominos/7143/2

This link might help you find some general ideas on calories.

I did the math and if you had a hot dog with no bun you're only hitting around 1263 kcal's which isn't a lot of food. I used the dominoes pizza on the site to guess at eating two slices and guessed at the bread sticks. You may be eating too little and worse yet, you need to improve the nutritional content of your food. I would suggest you move to eating chicken, pork or beef that could be cooked on a George Foreman's and add some vegetables into your diet. A hot dog is definitely not exactly nutritional. Veggies and some fruits like berries will fill you up. The pizza is always a big issue. Two slices from Dominoes was a little over 500 calories. Basically, that's why pizza is a poor choice - too high in calories. You could improve it by topping with tons of veggies like banana peppers, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions. That would improve it on nutrition.

Oops. I forgot to say I agree with the above poster - avoid drinking your juice. You'd be better off eating a real orange for breakfast so you at least get fiber. You could do water or add a flavoring for your breakfast drink. :) You could also puree berries in milk and make a strawberry drink and just eat your cereal as a hand snack. I'd go with half the cereal and throw in some nuts as well and you might feel more filled.
  • 2012Brenda
    Options
    I had to make huge changes to what I was eating, so I have been there.

Agree with other poster; protein will help you stay fuller longer and there are many proteins that are low in calorie which will help you keep your numbers low. Protein with every meal.
    egg beaters, turkey dogs, chicken, low fat - low sodium lunch meat, tuna fish, other "dinner" type fish, tenderloins, ect.

Find a way to get snacks in, even if a 60 cal yogurt, hand full of carrots, cucumber chunks, baby bell cheese triangles, 14 almonds, protein shake (powder & water or almond milk; add frozen fruit and blend for different flavors), ect.

Whole wheat carbs are good also. Not only sliced bread but bagels, english muffins, taco wraps, flatt-out sandwich wraps, premade pizza crusts, crackers. I love Special K Plus Protein cereal for breakfast 1 or 2 mornings per week.

Play with your food diary and enter different variations of food to see what would be better for you for the day. What would it look like if you cut down to 2 pieces of pizza, no bread sticks, veggie sticks and some dip for them? Get rid of the dew--just my opinion. How about 1 piece of pizza, 1 bread stick, with an apple and measured out 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter for a snack before of after dinner.

These are changes I have incorporated and have made a difference. Play with your food diary and see what other changes and healthy choices you can make. Best wishes
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Cut out PROCESSED and eat clean and up the protein. Protein will drive those hunger pains away.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Skip the cheerios and juice and have protein for breakfast. It will keep things stable longer. Same with dinner. Load up on the protein, and it will help signal you brain that you a full. Half my body weight in protein every day is the only way I keep from blowing my calories in the evening.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Today for example I was doing great on Cals until dinner- Of course its just an estimate because i cant find nutritional info for the Pizza joint im getting, but still. Same with yesterday except snacks put me over.

Minute Maid OJ 8oz

1 hot w/ketchup,mustard,relish (all 1/2 servings) on bun w/watermelon chunks (1c)
    water

Wow! You must be on really low calories. Maybe try to figure out how to burn more calories each day to be able to increase that? Also, try to skip the juice and soft drinks. They are a lot of calories without much satiety.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Minute Maid OJ 8oz

water

Also! Your ticker says you only have 30 pounds to lose. You probably have too large of a deficit. With such a small amount to lose, change your MFP settings to 1 pound per week, and you can eat more.
  • merkuri22
    merkuri22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Before I started using MFP I used to hit a blood sugar low around lunchtime if I didn't snack in between breakfast and lunch. This wasn't just craving food - I would actually start shaking and felt really weak. I've been using MFP for over a month now, lost 8 lbs, and I have not hit that same blood sugar low since then, even with no food between breakfast and lunch.

Both before and after MFP I ate the same thing for breakfast - cereal (usually cheerios), soymilk, and tea. The difference was that after I started with MFP I measured out my cereal and soymilk so I was having exactly 1 serving of each. I wasn't measuring before, so I can't be positive, but I feel that I'm having less cereal and *more* soymilk than before. And I think the soymilk is the key to me not being hungry.

I also realized that if I ate exactly 1200 calories (what MFP recommends for my activity level) I usually felt hungry, so I started doing more simple exercises, like walking or going up and down my stairs, and I'd eat back those calories. It kept me from being hungry, and I found I'd be more inclined to exercise if it meant I could have a snack later. Some people will tell you not to eat the exercise calories back, but exercise has health benefits other than weight loss, so you still get something good out of exercising even if you eat those calories back.

So exercise more, and go find foods high in protein and fiber that you like to eat. Start noting in your food log when you feel hungry and when you don't, and eat the non-hungry foods more often. You can eat hot dogs and pizza, but try to put them on different days and eat more filling things for your other meals those days.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    well i ended up skipping mt dew for diet dr pepper, 1 breadstick (plain) and 3 slices of cheese pizza. I know not the biggest change.

Im trying. Pop is my biggest thing. I will try more protein at each meal. Thats not a typical day. Well breakfast is typical but lunch is usually Soup or Sandwich and dinner isnt usually Pizza.

Ill plan out my diary, thats a good idea to the person that suggested that- i bet it would help! Also my exercise right now is jogging up the stairs and walking our 4 dogs around the block (1 dog and i at a time, its 1/2mi around so that times 4) but i just started, like today.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Pizza itself isn't going to help--save it for a once in a while treat, and try to limit to one piece. my diary is open--feel free to take a look. Doesn't seem like you're eating a lot in the way of good, filling food during the day, so you're probably pretty hungry for dinner. Feel free to friend me!