• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    def need to buy me some coconut oil!!
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.

I started taking one teaspoon of coconut oil a few days ago and have noticed a drop in my appetite.

I'm really hoping the claims are true that it can have an effect on my metabolism and underactive thyroid.....because so far the standard medical approach of treat the symptoms rather than fix what's gone wrong in the first place hasn't worked for me.
  • forasmallerass
    Options
    Bump
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I adore coconut oil! I basically use it wherever I would normally use oil (I use it for stir frys, baking, etc). I also add a tablespoon to my coffee in the morning.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I cook with coconut in some dishes (Asian ones).

For the most part, I use it for my skin. I started using a tiny amount as a face moisturizer and then started using it all over. My skin is so soft, clear, and has a nice glow! :)
  • dionne_williams
    Options
    bump
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I fully endorse it, and MCT Oil, for nearly everything: tremendous pre-workout energy source for those on ketogenic diets, exceptional skin and hair care product, oil pulling for gum and dental health, and cooking.
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use it on my skin too especially before and after a run x
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    don't usually cook with it(except fish), but take it by the spoonfull prior to workouts
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have read many good things about coconut oil. I do cook with it, but if I have too much it gives me acid reflux. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Yes, it will give me reflux sometimes, but usually only when I exceed 2T per day or if I have it too late at night. And it's not the only oil that causes that problem for me.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I prefer to cook with block creamed coconut where possible for the fibre and minerals as well as the lauric acid. Also purchased coconut flour for baking, still 8% fat.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For the Aussies looking for coconut oil, you can get it at Coles and Woolworths (look in the health food section or near the gluten free stuff) as well as most health food stores. Melrose is a common brand and we tend to get it in large and clear glass jars (it looks white).
  • droberts3311
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I saute my chicken in it. It's great for stir fry. It's great for any dish that requires high heat because it won't turn rancid at high heat like other cooking oils. It's fantastic on the skin as well. So many health benefits.
    I see people say all the time that coconut oil has such a high smoke point, but it isn't true. Refined coconut oil has a relatively high smoke point, but virgin coconut oil actually has a very low smoke point (under 350 degrees, lower than extra virgin olive oil.)

Not a bad ingredient to use, but I certainly wouldn't try with it.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Love coconut oil, reminds me i am out!!! :laugh:
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturalnews.com/036554_extra_virgin_coconut_oil_health.html

Interesting little article about coconut oil. I love using it for stir frying and popcorn.

Monica

P.S. Here's a local article for me about someone who claimed it helped her husband who has Alzheimer's.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/aging/article879333.ece
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I saute my chicken in it. It's great for stir fry. It's great for any dish that requires high heat because it won't turn rancid at high heat like other cooking oils. It's fantastic on the skin as well. So many health benefits.
    I see people say all the time that coconut oil has such a high smoke point, but it isn't true. Refined coconut oil has a relatively high smoke point, but virgin coconut oil actually has a very low smoke point (under 350 degrees, lower than extra virgin olive oil.)

Not a bad ingredient to use, but I certainly wouldn't try with it.

Very good info about the smoke point. I sautee with coconut oil as much as possible and I have to consciously remember to keep the temperature lower than I normally would. The great thing is though, even when burnt, the oil still tastes pretty good.

Another note, coconut oil stays good indefinitely, unlike most oils which have an expiration date.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The evidence that coconut oil is super-healthful is not convincing and these claims appear to be more testimonials than clinical evidence.

There is very limited evidence on disease outcomes, says Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, DrPH, of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health. "All that has been studied well is the impact of coconut oil on cholesterol levels and the findings are intriguing but we still don't know if it is harmful or beneficial," Mozaffarian says.

Neither the American Heart Association (AHA) nor the U.S. government's 2010 Dietary Guidelines suggest that coconut oil is any better or preferable over other saturated fats. Coconut oil, like all saturated fats, should be limited to 7%-10% of calories because it can increase risk for heart disease, according to the AHA and 2010 Dietary Guidelines.

"But even though coconut oil is cholesterol-free, it is still a saturated fat that needs to be limited in the diet and if you are looking for real health benefits, switch from saturated fats to unsaturated fats by using vegetable oils like soybean, canola, corn, or olive oil," says Kris-Etherton, a member of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines advisory committee and Institute of Medicine's panel on dietary reference intakes for macronutrients (which include fats).

(See WEB MD @ http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health)