HIIT and heavy lifting?

Options
Normally when I am going to do some heavy lifting, I spend about 10 minutes on an elliptical or treadmill, walking and jogging a little over a mile to warm up. Would it be best to replace this warm up with an actuall HIIT training session (~20 minutes)? Most people I see on here do the HIIT and the lifting on different days, but I usually don't make it to the gym more than 2x a week.

Secondly, if I have time, I usually swim laps for 10-20 minutes to cool down and stretch out the muscles after lifting, but I am still very sore and I think that I should do an actual cool down stretch instead. Anyone have a link for a good after-lifting stretch? Or think that I don't need it?

Thanks!

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Well I guess I am just going to go try it. Any thoughts would still be appreciated.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    HIIT is very hard on your central nervous system as is heavy lifting (deadlifts and squats). I wouldn't do them on the same day. Honestly I think HIIT is overrated. If you don't have time for it, you don't need to cram it in. But you can also do them at home doing things like burpees, jumping jacks, jump squats, etc.

How long have you been lifting for? I find that the soreness goes away with time and I really only get sore again if I take a week off, or if I add in a new move. I'm don't stretch after lifting. I feel like I probably should even though I haven't read anything good that says I should.
  • brazerbramon
    brazerbramon Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually spend about twenty minutes on the treadmill before my workouts, alternating between HIIT and longer slower paced runs. I think changing it up now and then is good for the body. After this run, my body is extremely warmed up and I feel that I get more from my lifts.

As for stretching afterwards, I think most people put it off. A little soreness is okay, your muscles are breaking down heavy lifting, it hurts sometimes. But stretching is still a good idea. I hardly see anyone at my gym stretch after their lifting sessions. Huge mistake. Flexibility is extremely important in lifting and everyday life. It only takes a few minutes to perform a few post lift stretches. Focus on the body parts that you lifted with that day. Swimming afterwards is a great idea too. I'm sure it feels so good to jump in that pool after you've been sweating for over an hour.

For the last couple of years, I have been doing yoga a couple days a week. My flexibility, range of motion, and overall body awareness has increased considerably. I highly recommend it. I'm sure it will help with your overall soreness as well.

:smile:
    I'm actually new to this page. I would love to be friends. I will try to motivate where I can, and any return motivation would be much appreciative.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT and heavy lifting on the same days.. but HIIT AFTER lifting. I usually run a half mile or jumprope for 5 minutes before.. then lift, then do HIIT for 15-25 minutes, sometimes on the treadmill, sometimes plyo based circuit stuff...
  • brazerbramon
    Options
    I do HIIT and heavy lifting on the same days.. but HIIT AFTER lifting. I usually run a half mile or jumprope for 5 minutes before.. then lift, then do HIIT for 15-25 minutes, sometimes on the treadmill, sometimes plyo based circuit stuff...

I've been wanting to start some sort of cardio/plyo after my lifts. I just cant seem to find the energy. I super set and triple set all my lifts, sometimes quad set, so I suppose my workout is somewhat interval based.

How do you keep your energy up?
  • FitandFab33
    Options

I've been wanting to start some sort of cardio/plyo after my lifts. I just cant seem to find the energy. I super set and triple set all my lifts, sometimes quad set, so I suppose my workout is somewhat interval based.

I IF and work out fasted most mornings and then do my HIIT. I also use supersets and giant sets, and sometimes active rest (think jump squats or walking lunges between squat sets). Lifting usually runs 60-90 minutes, then HIIT. I really hate steady state cardio, so I only do it on off days like Sat or Sun if I can't find something more fun to do. I don't really have a problem with energy... are you eating enough? Getting enough protein, water, fats? I also eat what most would consider low carb as I'm somewhere between 60 and 100g on a given day.
  • dj8052
    dj8052 Posts: 15
    Options
    Any cardio before a weight training session would be less energy before weight training. A 10-15 mins slow walk on the treadmill before hitting weights is fine. If you do an all out sprint or hiit before weights you have no glycogen left in your muscles. Now, you will be using your muscles for energy with no gains or fat loss either. But if you wait an hr between both sessions with some fuel (protein source and some carbs like powder and oatmeal) you will have more energy and get the most out of both workouts.+1 on busylady406, do hiit sessions 2-3 times a week max. Throw some jump rope sessions in 30secson/30secs off for 10-20 sets, a great fullbody compound exercise and more effective than slow walks on a treadmill for off gym days. Hope that helps and good luck.
  • brazerbramon
    Options
    Any cardio before a weight training session would be less energy before weight training. A 10-15 mins slow walk on the treadmill before hitting weights is fine. If you do an all out sprint or hiit before weights you have no glycogen left in your muscles. Now, you will be using your muscles for energy with no gains or fat loss either. But if you wait an hr between both sessions with some fuel (protein source and some carbs like powder and oatmeal) you will have more energy and get the most out of both workouts.+1 on busylady406, do hiit sessions 2-3 times a week max. Throw some jump rope sessions in 30secson/30secs off for 10-20 sets, a great fullbody compound exercise and more effective than slow walks on a treadmill for off gym days. Hope that helps and good luck.

Thanks, that makes absolute perfect sense.
  • brazerbramon
    Options

I IF and work out fasted most mornings and then do my HIIT. I also use supersets and giant sets, and sometimes active rest (think jump squats or walking lunges between squat sets). Lifting usually runs 60-90 minutes, then HIIT. I really hate steady state cardio, so I only do it on off days like Sat or Sun if I can't find something more fun to do. I don't really have a problem with energy... are you eating enough? Getting enough protein, water, fats? I also eat what most would consider low carb as I'm somewhere between 60 and 100g on a given day.

I'm new to the tracking of my diet, so as far as enough proteins, water, fats, I'm learning and working on it. I don't eat meat, so I am making some changes to cut out some of the carbs and focus a little more on the protein aspect of things.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think it's redundant. HIIT is more like lifting than cardio in the way it affects the musculoskelatal system and hormones. So, you're going to drain your energy for whichever you do second. I could see doing it before upper body lifting, maybe, but I don't think it's a good idea to do HIIT and then, say, squats. I doubt you'll be able to lift as much weight safely, so you won't be able to maximize your lifting. I think HIIT has it's benefits, but it doesn't fit neatly with everyone's goals...I think it's sort of become a buzz-word and everyone seems to think they're missing out if they don't do it. Check out this article for a different perspective:
    http://stronglifts.com/hiit-interval-training-fat-loss/

Like the author, I'm not against HIIT. But I am against people putting it in their program where it may not belong.
  • FitandFab33
    Options

I'm new to the tracking of my diet, so as far as enough proteins, water, fats, I'm learning and working on it. I don't eat meat, so I am making some changes to cut out some of the carbs and focus a little more on the protein aspect of things.

Are you vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian, ovo, lacto? I studied nutrition, and trained as a sous chef... :-) I'm a foodie on a mission.. hah
  • brazerbramon
    Options

Are you vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian, ovo, lacto? I studied nutrition, and trained as a sous chef... :-) I'm a foodie on a mission.. hah

This is quote central. I love it.

I am a lactose intolerant pescetarian, who owns a couple of pizzeria's. Go figure, huh. I can barely eat the food I sell. I do love food though. Actually, I'm still in the process of learning to love vegetable. Mushrooms have recently entered my diet. And I'm recently getting over the carb loading lifestyle that I blame on my Italian mother.

So there you have it, the current status of my foodie life.
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    I think it's redundant. HIIT is more like lifting than cardio in the way it affects the musculoskelatal system and hormones. So, you're going to drain your energy for whichever you do second. I could see doing it before upper body lifting, maybe, but I don't think it's a good idea to do HIIT and then, say, squats. I doubt you'll be able to lift as much weight safely, so you won't be able to maximize your lifting. I think HIIT has it's benefits, but it doesn't fit neatly with everyone's goals...I think it's sort of become a buzz-word and everyone seems to think they're missing out if they don't do it. Check out this article for a different perspective:

Like the author, I'm not against HIIT. But I am against people putting it in their program where it may not belong.

I don't think it's for everyone either, but this is an article about one guy's opinion. Providing anecdotal "evidence" or "averages" (based on?) doesn't exactly drive me to alter my routine.

The big draw to HIIT is the proposed increase in resting metabolism POST workout, whereas steady state cardio doesn't lead to any additional calories burned. And finally, for me, HIIT is challenging, quick, and kind of fun. I am not a cardio lover- never have been. But HIIT I can do, and stick to.

More friendly reading: http://www.simplyshredded.com/fit-with-hiit-science-is-dropping-the-hammer-on-endless-bouts-of-steady-state-cardio.html
  • FitandFab33
    Options

This is quote central. I love it.

I am a lactose intolerant pescetarian, who owns a couple of pizzeria's. Go figure, huh. I can barely eat the food I sell. I do love food though. Actually, I'm still in the process of learning to love vegetable. Mushrooms have recently entered my diet. And I'm recently getting over the carb loading lifestyle that I blame on my Italian mother.

So there you have it, the current status of my foodie life.

Mmmmm... you'd be a dangerous friend to have. hah Guys have a better carb:fat burning metabolism than women do, so you're not sunk. :-) And with seafood beans and legumes you'll be able to rock out on the protein intake, no prob. I have a cajun mother, and cajun grandparents.. there was ALWAYS a pot of rice hanging around (which is actually a bacteria nightmare that still freaks me out but that's neither here nor there). What I mean is, I get it.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    I see what you mean about the glycogen stores. My benchpressing, assisted chinups, deadlifts, bent over rows, shoulder presses, and hanging leg raises (abs) were not noticeably affected, but my squats were.

I did 15 minutes of walking, of which about 4 minutes was sprinting. Not as intense as it could have been, but it felt right. Then 30 minutes of weight lifting, then 20 minutes of swimming laps at which point I was about to drown. I did some stretching while sitting in the hot tub to finish up.

I hurt so good.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I don't think it's for everyone either, but this is an article about one guy's opinion. Providing anecdotal "evidence" or "averages" (based on?) doesn't exactly drive me to alter my routine.

The big draw to HIIT is the proposed increase in resting metabolism POST workout, whereas steady state cardio doesn't lead to any additional calories burned. And finally, for me, HIIT is challenging, quick, and kind of fun. I am not a cardio lover- never have been. But HIIT I can do, and stick to.

More friendly reading: http://www.simplyshredded.com/fit-with-hiit-science-is-dropping-the-hammer-on-endless-bouts-of-steady-state-cardio.html
    Didn't provide it to try and talk you out of it....just provided it as an alternate viewpoint. Your reasons for doing it are as valid as anyone elses. Do whatever works for you. My point is that it gets suggested a lot for people who already have effective programs, and people need to treat it more like a lower body leg lifting routine (for sprints) than just subbing it out for cardio. It's not regular cardio and can't really be subbed in 1:1 without affecting other aspects of your program. Like, for example, you can do cardio every day, but you need a recovery period after HIIT like you would a weight workout. If you sub it in everyday, you're shooting yourself in the foot, and will get diminishing returns from the HIIT. Or if you do it before squats, you're going to see reduced performance in your lifting. I have no desire to talk you out of your program- I just think people should educate themselves with different and opposing opinions on training philosophies, and use that as a jumping off point to do your own research. Often you will get a very one-sided viewpoint from the forums on HIIT- that it's super fat burning and fast and fun. meh. To each their own.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Going again tonight. See if I can quantify the difference in my squats with and without HIIT. Even if there is a difference (I expect so) wouldn't I be in the same spot since I went to exhaustion? What wasn't done with the higher weights in squats should have been covered by the HIIT right? In addition to its other benefits.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

HIIT does more than just give you some additional EPOC. Losing weight may simply be about calories, but improving body composition is not. If you want a good body composition, then you'll want to do exercises that encourage your body to burn primarily fat and spare muscle while also eating at a calorie defecit. Resistance training is the best way to do this, but HIIT has also been shown to give a very favorable hormonal response that increases your body's tendency to oxidize fat and burn it.

So it's not just about the calories, it's about actually targeting fat for burning rather than muscle. Ironically, the "fat burning zone" leads to a much less favorable hormonal response and once the exercise is done, it can lead your body to try and hold onto fat.