Do you cheat?

Options
Does anyone have cheat days? What do you eat, is it for the whole day or a portion of the day? And how often is it! Mines will be the Saturday after Thanksgiving going to freeze my dinner that night of Thanksgiving.

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I don't- I plan for treats and whatnot. I realized that with a "cheat day" mindset, I wasn't improving my mental relationship with food. Food shouldn't be bad (unless there's an allergy, intolerance, etc...), just enjoyable. I've found it a lot easier to stay on track this time.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    No, not really.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day, I just east what I want and make sure I stay within my calorie goals.
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day, however Saturday seems to be my bad day everytime.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    NOPE. Cheat on what? This is a lifestyle change. Not a diet. There is nothing to cheat on. You know (or should learn) what is good and bad and make your choices from that.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Nope.. i go over sometimes by 100 cal or so but it doesnt affect my weightloss. If I know I'm having a big meal I allow for it in my calorie goal or "earn" it with exercise.
  • slobkitten
    Options
    I used to but they never worked out for me as i craved more of the same the following day. I have what I want if I can squeeze it into my daily allowance, if not well I won't die if i don't have it :) learning to control myself!!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    yup, i have to say i do have a cheat day or meal every week... i have a hard time resisting certain things...
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh and IF you are considering it.. have a CHEAT meal instead of a day.. much more unlikely to do REAL damage with one meal!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If I want a "cheat" meal, I eat less earlier in the day to stay within my calories.
    But generally I don't have to because I don't consider things "cheat" foods, it's all just food some things need to be in smaller portions though.
  • MaryBOP
    Options
    Thank you someone who cheats like I will. I feel that if you're discipline you can cheat on different occasions and lose weight. I knew I wasnt nuts!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It isn't a cheat . . . it is part of the plan!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, I have one cheat meal like once every two weeks. Usually a chinese food orgy. It's fun to stuff yourself with abandon once in a while and I happily do so... but I don't do it often. I have however talked to multiple people who have lost 100+ pounds and they all said that they frequently had a cheat meal, some as often as once a week. It's worked for me so far, in three months I've lost 60 pounds. Of course, I also run 5 days a week now thanks to c25k. Good luck!
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My idea of cheating is when I eat something and dont log it:ohwell:
  • MaryBOP
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, I have one cheat meal like once every two weeks. Usually a chinese food orgy. It's fun to stuff yourself with abandon once in a while and I happily do so... but I don't do it often. I have however talked to multiple people who have lost 100+ pounds and they all said that they frequently had a cheat meal, some as often as once a week. It's worked for me so far, in three months I've lost 60 pounds. Of course, I also run 5 days a week now thanks to c25k. Good luck!

Thank you
  • merctech
    merctech Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You have to have a cheat day every so often. Your body get's really good at breaking down the food you consume. Especially when you are dieting and tend to stay with familiar foods. Cheat days are a way to keep it on its toes.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are not practical for me. I would rather have what I want to have in moderation.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I did and it eventually led to more and more cheat days. Still trying to get on track. Once I am, no more cheat days :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I had plenty of "cheat" years pre-MFP. I figure that would just be cheating myself and my new eating habits that will hopefully continue for the rest of my life. I have not gone over my calorie goal since I began. Thanksgiving will be the first time in over 8 months that I will go over and I will not consider that cheating. I will not overindulge to the point of gluttony, but I will have a taste of everything, and a glass of wine. Since I am the cook, I am making some healthier side dishes and a dessert I can feel comfortable eating as it is only 100 calories, pumpkin swirl mini cheesecake.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Nothing to cheat on, since we can eat anything we want as long as we stay within caloric intake guidelines. If you mean days you go over your limit, that can happen ocassionally, but it should be the exception and not the norm.

An example of an exception might be a holiday meal such as Thanksgiving. Traditional holiday meals are hard to resist.