Do you cheat?

Options

Replies

• IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you have to "cheat," then you're not doing it right...
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    No I don't cheat. If I decide to have a treat I log it and move on.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I plan on eating something that isn't the greatest, I workout. I never had a super low calorie goal so there haven't been a lot of days that I couldn't fit something in. Everything in moderation for me.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I plan my treats, but do have the occasional 'oops' but I track it and move on. Its easier for me to not think of any food as off limits or a cheat.
  • HananYako30
    HananYako30 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    YES I DO WHEN I GO OVER MY SISTERS HOUSE
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Not really but I don't stress if I go over my calories on occasion. It will work out on average.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes, my 'cheat' day is Sunday because my weigh in day is Saturday and if I feel good enough, I allow myself to relax a little the next day and even if I gain a pound, I still relax. It isn't so much to eat whatever I want, it is more so to not worry about logging or going over and just having a day off, I feel that if I didn't have this, I most likely wouldn't be still making this change. I've been on here since July 21st 2012 and I've had every Sunday off since I started and I've lost a total of 18 pounds and I feel good about that, I could be losing faster and all that but this is better for me, slow and steady, along with still being able to enjoy a few things people consider as to be 'naughty' or that you shouldn't eat when you are working on a lifestyle change.
  • Mlp082
    Options
    Nope, I don't do cheat days or meals. I just eat what I want within reason. That way I don't feel like I'm being deprived of anything. If I want something extra, I work out more to balance out the calories.
  • mrwalker80
    Options
    I do but I don't think of it as a cheat day and I never plan for it. I've found it is best for me to look at things weekly anyway. Some days I want to eat more than my allotment, a lot of days I eat under. As long as by Sunday I am under my weekly limit I don't care.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    No I just fit everything into my calories. Why cheat? You can basically eat what you want as long as you are tracking and it all fits into your daily allowance.
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a "cheat" but I give myself a break from logging occassionally - usually my dinner on Friday night. The longer I do this (MFP), the more aware I am of what I'm eating, so I'm not going totally crazy. I just like to once in a while enjoy a meal without pre-planning it or trying to recall each tsp of food that went in my mouth.
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't as I know myself too well and would see that as an open door back to my lifetime of bad eating habits! On the other hand my daughter (she's not on here) started a get fit/lose weight 18 months ago and has lost 25 kgs (about 55 lbs) since then through 6 days low carbs and one cheat day a week. (she also took up running and recently completed her first marathon
    Her cheat day is usually Saturday...she eats/drinks absolutely whatever she fancies throughout that day...it's been interesting to see that as time has worn on she's been less and less extreme on the cheat day as her body has adjusted to the new lifestyle, but what it does give her I guess is 'permission' to go off track and let loose a little. Good luck with your plan whatever you do!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you have to "cheat," then you're not doing it right...

I can see where you're coming from but it depends on what your definition of cheat is. Is it cheating to eat yummy things that fall within your macros? No. Is it cheating to stuff yourself with 2 pounds of chinese food? I'm going to say yes. And it's fun... in moderation. Even on my chinese food orgy days, I'm only going over a little under 1,000 or so in calories. One pound of fat is 3500 calories. In fact, after I eat like that and weigh myself two days later, I often see a loss from what I weighed BEFORE the chinese food.
  • Kryxx
    Kryxx Posts: 34
    Options
    Cheated on my right hand, with my left hand :(
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The word cheat is a negative word and implies that I am willing to do bad things to myself contrary to my health goals. Why would I do that? Since this isn't a diet but a lifestyle, I plan my food and life activities together. So yes, I ate Kansas City barbecue, cake and ice cream on my dad's 80th birthday. But I planned for it, enjoyed it immensely, and did not experience guilt. Over time I have looked forward to my new food choices and not regretted for an instant the foods I mostly have chosen not to eat.

That said, I have wine with my friends, have small amounts of chocolate every day and savor every bite of the fruits, veggies, grains, meat and daily I eat. I plan for social events and stay in my calorie levels. I know myself: if I went out and bought Doritos, donuts, and a large pizza and told myself it was for the "cheat day," pretty soon my healthy eating would disappear and I would be back where I started.
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As for cheating, I have decided to give myself permission to modestly overeat my calories during Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. No regular or scheduled cheat meals/days, though.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Nope, if I want it I plan for it.
  • lrcross
    Options
    No, I do not cheat...I eat what I like, that includes my healthy foods, some fired foods, and dessert. I like dessert after dinner, and it fits within my calorie count. I put it on my log too...

I have to keep my cals up anyway, so I don't have to cheat. :happy:
  • stassi09
    stassi09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do but I don't think of it as a cheat day and I never plan for it. I've found it is best for me to look at things weekly anyway. Some days I want to eat more than my allotment, a lot of days I eat under. As long as by Sunday I am under my weekly limit I don't care.

This is exactly what I do! I just focus on the weekly limit so that if I go over one day its not the end of the world.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Just playing Monopoly. I put a few $500s under the board. But never with food.