No kids here, but if you do, I have a question for you.

Options
I am not judgmental, I am just seriously curious. Do you count your child's calories?, or watch over there calorie intake?. I'm not referring to grown children, no longer at home, but if you still have little ones at home, how do you decide what to do, and what factors go into your decision making?

Once again, I'm not hear to judge, I'm just curious!

Thank you.

Replies

• JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Opps, deleted this from my homepage, wanted some friends to see it as well, ie, I'm responding.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Ohh-hell no! The last thing I want is for my kids to have eating disorders:( I give them healthy meals. They eat what they want from the meal. I never use the clean your plate or take another bite tactic. If they say they are full they are excused. The food goes in the trash. They are offered something healthy the next time they are hungry. I let them eat junk food too because I want them to learn how to eat it moderately now. I make sure they get a lot of exercise. We play outside a lot, go to the park, jump on the bed, and dance. Teaching them a healthy lifestyle so they don't have to learn the hard way :) ps My selfish reason for breastfeeding each of my children for their first year of life was to protect them from obesity. Good question. I'm interested in the other answers.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    Never, but I do make sure to only offer healthy choices the majority of the time. No better time for them to learn what treats are, what healthy choices are, and when you should choose one over the other.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Um no. My kids are athletes (gymnastics 3-4 hrs/day)... If they're hungry, I let them eat and they stop when they're full. If anything I encourage my son to eat extra cause he needs to bulk up some.
  • monkeys_mom
    monkeys_mom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    To a degree, yes. I offer a good, healthy plate, with age appropriate serving sizes. Seconds on anything on her plate, as long as she's partially eaten a fruit or a veggie (that she likes, if she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to have it).

If her day has been not so balanced (like if we had fast food, a once a week occurrence), then dinner and bedtime snack will be healthier. I also allow junk, and candy but try to teach moderation.

I don't worry so much about calories, but focus on healthy. That being said, my dd is tiny (3 years old, and weighs 24 lbs and is 33 inches tall). if my child was over weight, then yes, I would serve leaner meals, and watch ballpark calorie intake. I however would not let my child know any of this. I don't want her worried about calories, or even weight but health. It's my job to be worried about her caloric intake. As a daycare provider, I'm seen what children eat at home, and it's crazy unhealthy and too caloric for their little bodies.

If you serve a balanced, moderate diet to your child, you shouldn't have to focus on calories. Just my two cents. I also encourage outdoor play, imaginative play, and reduced tv time.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I never worried about my kids, there is no history of obesity or anything in either families. But I did offer them healthy choices for food and didn't make a big deal over 'treats' (ice cream, candy, etc) They just naturally got the taste for the healthier stuff because it was always there.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Nope. And I'm fairly horrible at ensuring they eat consistently high quality food too.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    nope...........they dont eat much though, they are lean and mean........
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No. Never.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Considering my son is only six and very small, no I do not count calories. I do give him portions suitable for his size, but if he wants more then I give him more. He's not old enough to emotionally eat, so he knows when he's full.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I make sure my son eats healthy. Some days he wants to eat all day (like today) and some days he doesn't want to eat at all. I make sure plenty of fruit, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains are in his diet. I do have some junk food for his lunches, (a pudding cup here, a bag of chips there) but I make sure that most of what he puts in his mouth is healthy food.

He is 5 and in Kindergarten and growing like a weed.

Cyn
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    No. Not at all.
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Nope, I agree I don't want them to have a eating disorder. if they are hungry they eat but I make sure they have some good choices( fruits and veg low fat low calorie snacks) and if I can do low fat with out them knowing I do that as well. I dont make them eat everything on there plate if they are full then thats fine throw the rest away. In addition if they dont come to me and say " I want something to eat" I dont make meals other than dinner every meal time. I figure if they are hungry they will let me know. I come from a morbidly obese family I am trying to make meal time different than when I grew up...
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    No. It's a horrible idea. I should know. My mother did that to me.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No! Not even without his knowledge!! My youngest is 14. He's 5' 10" and weighs 138. He eats when he is hungry and stops when he is full. That is something I've never had the ability to do!! My eating has nothing to do with hunger and I only stop when the food is gone. He does it the right way and I'm not going to mess with that!!
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    NEVER.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Lolwut?

No way. Never ever. .
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No - we talk about portion controls though. My middle child (14, boy) is overweight but it has never been a big deal at all. He plays football, baseball, and also is in the downhill ski club. He's active, but loves food. My oldest (17,boy) was overweight until he was 14, then thin, then overweight a bit again and now he's at his perfect size/weight. My youngest- man I wish I could get her to eat MORE (22 months, girl).

Counting their calories is extreme. Helping them make good choices is better, but not easy. Healthy food isn't exactly geared toward enticing children.