No kids here, but if you do, I have a question for you.

Options

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I would never count calories for my children.

I make sure they get enough healthy choices at every meal. They don't get seconds unless they eat their vegetables and dessert is a rare thing here.

However, we do have conversations about which foods are the healthiest. We have "all the time foods" such as chicken breasts, vegetables, cheeses, milk, fish, etc and "sometimes foods" such as candy, cookies, and ice cream. They both (3&5 year old girls) know that when they're hungry they can definitely have an all the time food but the results will be mixed for a sometimes food. Oh and they love helping me cook and picking out foods on their own.

That being said, they're very active and sometimes have to be made to sit still to eat. It's not that they aren't hungry it's just that they would rather do something else than sit at the table and eat their dinner. So, yes sometimes I have to tell them to eat X more bites. I sincerely hope that I'm not setting them up for any disorders but right now they're both underweight and need the nutrition.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Nope..
    I keep my son active and he eats till he's full.
    He had an operation in march this year and we had to bulk him up so I just gave him bigger dinners and a complan meal drink before bed.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    No.

IMO you can do more damage than good. Especially while they are still growing. Sometimes kids just need a crazy amount of calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No, I do not count my kids' calories. They eat breakfast and lunch at school and they have nutritious dinner.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I monitor what my kids eat, not how much they eat. I do try to make sure my youngest has calorie dense food though because he only eats one good meal a day (refuses to eat most meals most days). All meals are healthy, most snacks are healthy. Calories never really come to mind when I'm feeding two over active boys. Lol.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Kids grow at a phenomenal rate and have very different dietary requirements than an adult trying to maintain. If anyone is thinking of controlling their kids calories in the MFP way, they really aught to do their research and get it right.
  • higgsbeth
    higgsbeth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My (almost) 3 year old is over weight (44lbs 40"), always has been big since birth and it's been a constant stress for me trying to keep her calorie consumption down. I dont count her calories per se, maybe I should, just try to stop her eating too much. She will literally spend all day every day begging for food and i'm constantly having to say no it's a nightmare. It's very hard to explain to her why she can't be eating all the time though, she's not old enough to understand why i'm saying no.

29861244.png
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Mine is still on milk for now... But my sister-in-law ALWAYS offers healthy choices and explains the choices and how it helps their bodies to grow. My nephew even asked one day "is this snack better than that snack for my body aunty?" And they love water!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, but try to help them to make healthy choices. I also only allow desserts on weekends. They have picked up on much of what I do (mine are 4 & 7)
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No, my daughter is 7. She is 4'4" and only 46 lbs. She is a bit underweight. We pretty much only keep healthy stuff around for snacks and meals, and she will only drink water and milk (I give her 2% for the extra fat), but she gets to grab a snack when she wants (just nothing an hour and a half before dinner or she wont eat), and if she wants seconds, I let her. She is scrawny and runs and plays. She has asked me why I don't get seconds, and I told her that because I don't run around as much as she does, and I am done growing, I don't need as much.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I make sure they have well balanced meals and I control their intake of sugar. Basically the only drinks we have in our home are watered down apple juice and milk. Also, My doctor did suggest that i keep an eye on portions, we they have the colorful portion plates. It helps my son who has autism not freak out when his food touch.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    No...nor will I ever. Like it was mentioned before, I don't want my children growing up with complexes or eating disorders. Now, that being said, I don't allow them to just eat and eat and eat. If they're hungry between meals, they get snacks...sometimes healthy, sometimes not....both of our boys are extremely active, so if they tell us they are hungry, we feed them.

ETA: Our boys are almost-9 and 4, they are both very lean and active. IF one or both of them were overweight, then I would definitely be more attentive to everything they eat, however I would still not count calories. I agree with teaching children about healthy vs. non-healthy foods. They see me making changes and, as a family, we are all eating better and becoming more conscious about our food choices.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I do not count calories for my kids. They are 4 and 6. Some days they eat like birds, other days like sumo wrestlers. They are learning the 80/20 split for food though - some food is just not the main part of the diet and there are better choices than others. They eat mostly healthy foods, mostly home prepared, but they also get snacks, ice cream, fast food. That stuff just makes up a very small part of their day.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I don't count there calories. I do try to give them healthy food and junk only in moderation. I want them to grow up and make healthy choices but still enjoy food. I believe I have found the healthy balance and that is what I want to teach them!
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i was fat at 8 years old. wish i had been taught a thing or two!
  • coastie_wife07
    Options
    No & I don't think I will unless she becomes obese which I never see happening since she is so active.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do not count my child's calories. She is 4 years old and there is no need for her to be calorie concious.

I do however, talk to her about healthy choices. For example, if she asks for a snack I let her chose between 2 fruits. And I give her water to drink and we talk about why water is good for you. Of course she gets treats and candy and some junk food (even the occassional Happy Meal) but she knows that they are only treats and not all-the-time foods.

I also keep her active - plenty of outdoor play time, active Wii games, limited screen time, family walks, organized sports.

Between making good choices and activity, there will never be a need to count calories.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    <--no kids

But when I was little, my parents fed me healthy, but normal food. Snacks were sometimes chips and cookies, but we had fruits and veggies as snacks too. Neither me or my brother had any weight problems as kids. We never counted calories.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I know roughly what they should have in a day and just give it to them, if they are hungry they snack on crackers or fruit and at weekends they get sweets if they have behaved during the week. They are interested in what they eat so I tell them whats in it and what it does to them to make their body run (eldest is autistic and information hungry ALLLL of the time) but I dont worry about treats or cakes or calorific values.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    We have a 7 year old kid ... We have 'Red, Yellow and Green' foods, pretty much as taught in school.

She knows what to eat a lot, sometimes and as a treat.

Doesn't mean she does though :)

Calories? No, I hope she never knows too, impossible probably in today's world ...