To the people in relationships

Options
13»

Replies

• ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is pretty much not supportive even though he is full of compliments - he's the one who says "you look great to me, why do you care so much? you are getting obsessed. Here have a bite of this, we won't tell anyone". He also discourages me working out because in the limited free time I do have, he'd rather me hang out with him and he will not go to the gym no matter how often I ask.

He has plenty of weight to lose but doesn't really care. I work longer hours than him so by the time I get home, he usually has already eaten (and often it was Domino's or McDonald's). On the weekends, I work out a lot more to get exercise calories for the meals we eat out or any desserts that end up in the house. I used to just give up and have "cheat weekends" which explains why it is taking me so long to lose weight and stay on track.

I think I am better off when I just don't talk about it to him, which is hard because I do think about it constantly. It's just another challenge to overcome and I am doing well so far.
  • pocostef
    Options
    My hubby won't eat anything either - it was hard to cook for him when I wasn't dieting, so now I pretty much gave up! He doesn't eat veggies, or anything whole grain, or any fish - just meat and potatoes. Pretty much, I eat healthy, and he eats Taco Bell. I wish he wouldn't but I really don't want to nag, so I have to let it be and hope he doesn't turn diabetic.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My husband is semi-on board. Most days I cook for everyone but just measure out my portions. If I make something like mashed potatoes or rice I will make enough only for my daughters and scoop it all on their plates so there is no leftovers. My husband is like many others.....you can have just a little bit, you don't have to go to the gym you went yesterday, blah blah which will just cause a relapse on my part.

Tuesday he called and said I got Popeyes Chicken so you don't have to worry about cooking...I already knew that I only had about 400 calories left for the day and I didn't want to spend it on fried chicken. So I complained over and over about how I didn't need it and the first thing he said was you went to the gym this morning so you can have a little more....So I ate a chicken wing and rice....I poured salt all over the biscuit and other chicken and he looked at me like what the hell are you doing....I told him don't bring anymore fried chicken home or I am going to pour milk over everything. It was a bit extreme but he henders me sometimes lol
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My solution is you eat what I cook, if you dont like it starve!

Or make your own - I'm with you!

My husband needs to lose weight worse than I do but he isn't motivated. I feel sad about this, but I can't force him. He either wants to do it or not. I'm just hoping that one day he'll see the light and follow my example.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My husband does not work out with me. But he makes it so I can work out early in the morning without having to take the baby into the gym with me.

When it comes to eating. I cook and he eats it. If I cook something he just doesn't want to eat then he will fend for himself. But he usually eats it.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me, my very supportive husband never notices that I sneak tofu, extra veggies, etc into his meals.

He loves the fact that I'm trying to lose some weight, because I've taken to having sex with him whenever I get the urge to eat when I'm not truly hungry.
    Not only does it keep me from eating out of boredom, but it does wonders for my self-esteem...and I've never heard him complain! It's been great for our marriage!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    My hubby is very supportive of the changes I have made with meals and what not... He also has no problem with me going to the gym when he gets home from work... that means he is by himself with our two little rugrats :smile: He even stopped buying coke for him to take in his lunch to work because I have struggled with giving them up... He didn't want a 12 pack of temptation sitting in our fridge... That was a HUGE help to me...
    He does however snack.... A LOT!! I make us smaller portions and "lighter" meals... He will eat what I fix, but in an hour or so, he is rummaging in the cupboards to find something to snack on... He eats a lot of cereal :laugh:
    Anyway, thankfully, he has been supportive of me... He just likes to EAT :happy:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Luckily for me, my very supportive husband never notices that I sneak tofu, extra veggies, etc into his meals.

He loves the fact that I'm trying to lose some weight, because I've taken to having sex with him whenever I get the urge to eat when I'm not truly hungry.
    Not only does it keep me from eating out of boredom, but it does wonders for my self-esteem...and I've never heard him complain! It's been great for our marriage!

:laugh: :laugh: I may just have to try this the next time I get the munchies!
  • KatySteele
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't keep any food in his house. He eats out on a regular basis and stays slim. We have a long distance relationship, so when I go for the weekend... it's constant restaurants and temptation!!!!! Not to mention, I am away from the gym when I go to his place. THIS IS A TERRIBLE COMBINATION! Maybe that is part of the reason I make him come to visit me more than I go there!!!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I second this! We have made our normal meals into healthy ones! Lots of fat free, sugar free, low sodium, reduced fat, whole wheat, vegetables & lean meats in our house! By doing this you feel as if you are not depriving yourself, which is key to making this a habit & lifestyle!

We make "friendly" chicken/turkey lasagna, fajitas, etc., by using fat free cheeses, lean meats, and whole wheat noodles/tortillas. Even the ricotta & sour cream are fat free! Really helps out with calories :) My husband sees how much happier I am with myself, and how hard I worked, so he tends to makes it a point to let me know that he uses fat free or low cal ingredients when cooking!

My suggestion for you would be to make recipes that are harder to distinguish whether or not "diet" things have been substituted. He'll learn to love em', especially when he sees the mental & physical results! Also, if he has to have something junky, make yourself something separate!

I make the same meal for everyone in my house and try to sub in healthy ingredients wherever I can (like whole wheat pasta and tortillas vs. the "white" kind, lots of salads to accompany meals). It feels less like a punishment and I feel less resentful when everyone is eating (and liking, most of the time) the same thing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

OK, now I'm REALLY jealous.

I tried the same strategy with my wife (but, honey it helps resist the urge to eat..) but I didn't get anywhere. ....:cry:
  • klybarger
    Options

TOO CUTE - I think I may have to steal your idea!
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options

OK, now I'm REALLY jealous.

I tried the same strategy with my wife (but, honey it helps resist the urge to eat..) but I didn't get anywhere. ....:cry:
    You are hilarious.......
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    We have 2 refrigerators....I don't even need to say anything more. :laugh:

The only true struggle that we have is about Salmon. Yes, Salmon. I eat it probably 3 or more times a week. I love it! Not only will he not eat it but he will follow me around and make this huge production about how it stinks up the house. It doesn't stop me...just open a window dude! Sheesh!
    I hate that I am laughing this hard....but this post right here made my day.....LMAO
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    My hubby is a very picky eater, but he is very supportive of me and my lifestyle change. He has never had a weight problem and has no health problems so he can eat whatever. The only meal I fix by myself is dinner for the both of us. He is very open to trying to healthier foods so I slowly introduced them into the menus. I recently found out that I can't eat red meat because of my digestion issues, he loves steak but he compromised so that I would not have to fix two separate meals each night. We used turkey meat instead of beef and if we go out then he can have beef and I can eat healthier. When it comes to sides I decided to compromise, since he was so supportive, so I fix a side for me(usually veggies) and a separate one for him(usually some kind of potato with butter and cheese). Communication is key and if he is willing to compromise you should be ready to compromise too. You may have to have a healthy main dish and make sure he has his favorite types of food to.

As for being tempted, that just comes down to will power. Just because I can't eat certain foods does not mean he can't and he is alot happier if he gets potatoes!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    ,,,I've taken to having sex with him whenever I get the urge to eat when I'm not truly hungry.
    You are hilarious.......
    Go ahead, laugh at our pain. :cry: