what is the latest time i should eat?

Options

Replies

• nazish17
    nazish17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I guess there is no harm having between 100-250 calories before bed if i am still not over my calorie goal (:!

i was just abit confused as i am trying to lose weight was worried i would pile more on instead!!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    not after midnight, otherwise green ugly versions of you will pop out and try to take over the town.....no water either, and avoid the sunlight if at all possible
    Gremlins.jpg \m/
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    i have heard from a number of sources that you gain weight if you eat after 7-8. how true is this?
    does anybody avoid eating late, does it help?
    #

Thanks

If it were true than my husband and I would both be overweight. We typically eat dinner at 8:30pm and snacks after (we go to bed around 11pm)

i tried your method. and gained weight.

Only if you were going over in your calories. I am one that has to be more thoughtful when I eat after dinner because I start getting lazy and stop weighing or will get the noshy binges. However, just because I'm more likely to binge after 9 doesn't mean I have to stop eating after 9, I just need to be mindful of what I'm doing.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you eat. You should eat protein and no carbs for dinner.

I respectfully disagree.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you eat. You should eat protein and no carbs for dinner.

I respectfully disagree.

I agree with your disagreement.

There is no valid reason why you should not have carbs at dinner?

I am not being pedantic or nasty...it really is cals in and cals out and if you want to improve your body shape then exercise also?
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My 5AM training is much better when I eat a lot right before bed.

In general, I don't recommend eating after you go to sleep. It could be a choking hazard.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry.
    Personally, I avoid a heavy meal right before bed, just because I find it hard to sleep. But, I will snack right up till I go to bed if I am hungry.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Whatever is the latest time that you feel hungry. If I don't eat a night time snack I am starving at bedtime and can't fall asleep. If I manage to fall asleep I usually wake up so hungry I would consider chewing my arm off. This concept would not work for me. I managed to lose weight eating all day (I do specifically save calories for night snacks), nor did I restrict carbs at night or any other rules...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    i have heard from a number of sources that you gain weight if you eat after 7-8. how true is this?
    does anybody avoid eating late, does it help?
    #

Thanks

If it were true than my husband and I would both be overweight. We typically eat dinner at 8:30pm and snacks after (we go to bed around 11pm)

i tried your method. and gained weight.
    You gained weight cause you ate over your maintanance. People need to start taking personal responsibility. You caused yourself to gain weight, NOT the time of day.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    As soon as I got home from work, this morning, I ate some casein protein pudding with an oatmeal pie crust, and some lite Cool whip. Then I brushed my teeth, and went to bed. I still woke up weighing a pound less than I did yesterday.

It doesn't matter what time you eat, as long as you eat fewer calories than you consume, you should lose weight.
  • johnieC
    Options
    i tend to give myself 3-4 hours between the last time i eat & when i go to bed, no real reason for it i guess, more just a mental thing
  • girlfighter1990
    Options
    Not True, Unless you eat like crap all day long....

Eat Clean and you can eat anytime of the day or night

Good Luck
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Not True, Unless you eat like crap all day long....

Eat Clean and you can eat anytime of the day or night

Good Luck
    Not true at all.

You can eat whatever you want, as long as you're under your maintanance.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I am asleep. If you are withing your calorie range, eat whenever you want to!
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Time of day doesn't matter in terms of weight loss. I try to stop eating at least an hour before bed, if not two. I sleep better and feel better in the morning if I have time to digest a bit before laying down. But, I also had reflux for over 12 years and learned to eat early in the evening so the reflux didn't interrupt my sleep. After I had surgery to correct that, I kept up this timing of dinner. Doesn't mean I won't have a late night snack on a weekend once in a while though.

As others have said, what you eat and when don't have an impact unless its above your daily limit (weight wise) or if its affecting your sleep (general health/wellness wise).
  • Kimestry101
    Options
    I don't eat after 10pm, I might have a low cal, low fat snack (ie. 100 calorie snacks) before midnight if I'm having a long day.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories 'available', I eat whenever I feel like it. I work out in the evening so often don't eat dinner until after 8 pm, sometimes later. I also know that I prefer to eat more in the evenings than earlier and since I'm trying to adjust my lifestyle to a way that works for me, I try to eat lightly for breakfast and lunch and snacks during the day. This has worked for me.

I would say it only matters if you tend to get heartburn that will prevent you from getting a good night's sleep.
  • Stop trying to make things over-complicated. Eat when you're hungry, and don't eat when you aren't.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've been steadily lowering my body fat and i eat anytime of the day or night. sometimes i even wake up in the middle of night, stumble to the fridge eat a piece of cooked chicken and then will go back to sleep . as long as you are under your maintenance it doesnt matter what time you eat. your body uses calories 24 hours a day 7 day in order to keep itself running. if it were to stop doing that then you would be dead, not asleep or resting :laugh: