What is your favorite book & why?

Options
My absolute favorite is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I like love stories, and Wuthering Heights isn't the traditional 'happily ever after', ' girl finds her prince charming' love story. And it's a classic!
The 2009 movie adaptation with Tom Hardy is excellent also. Mainly because he's hot ;P

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Life of Pi because to me, it is all about the power of positive thinking. I have probably read it 3 times and it doesn't get old. I can't wait to take my daughter to the movie on Wednesday.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Great Expectations, Charles ****ens. For two reasons:

1. I love the idea that anyone can make something out of themselves, no matter where they come from.
    2. Everyone has an Estella.
  • shell22holmes
    Options
    I am a Stephen King fan, my absolute favourite book is Bag of Bones be SK.
    Jane Eyre is second.
  • shell22holmes
    Options
    Great Expectations, Charles ****ens. For two reasons:

1. I love the idea that anyone can make something out of themselves, no matter where they come from.
    2. Everyone has an Estella.

Lol @ the fact the bleeped D*ckens
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter. It's an amazing series and it was extremely enjoyable. I felt like I was part of that world. The Mortal Instrument series is also quite entertaining. I also enjoyed the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. In case you can't tell, I like weird and magical stories.
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. I have read it almost 10 times, I always get more out of it.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Definitely George Orwell's 1984.

I love dystopian fiction and this was by far the most spine-chilling rendition of a dystopian society that I've ever read. =)
  • Enkibean
    Options
    "Stranger in a Strange Land," by Robert Heinlein
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    God Is In The Tough Stuff. It's an inspirational book that has helped me get through some really rough times in my life. I love it.
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite....
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Love the character Atticus Finch so much that I named my dog after him...always believing in the good in people and not letting others bully him into their way of thinking. He was a fare man and what a great dad. Teaching his children and loving them as all fathers should.
    And the bond between Scout and Jem is forever, the way it should be!
    And...the villain turns out to be the hero!
    What's not to love?
  • Enkibean
    Options
    Definitely George Orwell's 1984.

I love dystopian fiction and this was by far the most spine-chilling rendition of a dystopian society that I've ever read. =)

Man, love that one too...
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    "Stranger in a Strange Land," by Robert Heinlein
    This is on my "to read" list.
    The list has about 30 books on it so could be a little bit before I get to it lol =)
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I second the Harry Potter series. I bought them to read to my kids, the first 2 books anyways, and I got so hooked. By the time Prisoner of Azkaban came out I was at the store at midnight, and read the book by 9am...stayed up all night. I miss the Potterverse....I wish there were more.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. I have read it almost 10 times, I always get more out of it.

You are the only other person I have seen that has read this book. It was crazy but I really loved it.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Fever Pitch. Love the theme, the voice, the humor.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The Power of One by Bryce Courtnay and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and How Green Was my Valley by Richard Llewellyn. All three books are incredibly well written stories of coming of age in interesting times. Peekay in pre- apartheid South Africa, Scout in the deep south of the 1930's, Huw Morgan in coal mining Wales

Great reads each of them....
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, I don't feel I need to explain why!
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, I don't feel I need to explain why!

This, but I also have many other favorites. It's too hard to choose just one.
  • cmotting
    cmotting Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all of Jane Austen's books, but my favorite has to be Persuassion. It is such a beautiful story of love,and I am a sucker. I also love The Giver by Lois Lowry. Brilliant.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter. It's an amazing series and it was extremely enjoyable. I felt like I was part of that world. The Mortal Instrument series is also quite entertaining. I also enjoyed the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. In case you can't tell, I like weird and magical stories.
    Harry Potter for me as well! I've probably read each book 10 times, just because/if I have nothing else to read. <3