Replies

• alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    quoted the wrong thing, see next post
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ender's Game. (In case you couldn't tell by my screen name :P) Loved it since I was a kid. It has a chemistry that can't quite be explained. Plus, playing laser tag in zero gravity would be pretty awesome, don't you agree?

Did you read the prequel that came out this summer? Earth Unaware?

Favorite book of all time: Frankenstein and 1984
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I am a Stephen King fan, my absolute favourite book is Bag of Bones be SK.

Me too! I looooove Bag of Bones. It's a wonderful story and I fell in love with the main character. I listened to it on CD and Stephen King read it, so that made it so much more special. When I get pregnant, we're hoping for a daughter so we can name her Kyra.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The Shack.

I just think it really opened up some things when I was going through a hard time 3yrs ago.
  • daniel7121
    daniel7121 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be cliche and say the Hunger Games. What can I say, it was an awesome trilogy. Just hope the rest of the movies aren't as botched up as the first one was..
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    The Phantom of the Opera - best character ever!

Anything by Edgar Allan Poe

Harry Potter and Hunger Games Series
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    The Bible.

I have never read a book that has given me such a roller coaster of emotions.

I have quite a few favorite books, The Bible is number 1.

Number 2's: Playing God, What Cops Know, Decision Points (George Bush), Men Of Zeal, Born On The Fourth Of July.....there's more, but my mind is slow right now.....all these books because of the non fiction aspect, as well as the intensity.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter. It's an amazing series and it was extremely enjoyable. I felt like I was part of that world. The Mortal Instrument series is also quite entertaining. I also enjoyed the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. In case you can't tell, I like weird and magical stories.

Have you checked out the Narnian series? Very good.

I've liked Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series (there are more books to the series that I haven't read yet), as well as the series on the Harper Hall.

Speaking of unusual, you'd probably like McCaffrey's Crystal Singer series.
  • ericaknight95
    ericaknight95 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hands down, "The Time Machine" by H.G Wells. Love that classic Sci-Fi! I read a lot of stuff by him and Jules Verne.

I've been getting into Kurt Vonnegut lately.

I just finished Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut recently. Very interesting story, if you haven't already read it, I recommend it.
  • Beckett93
    Options
    The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Skulduggery Pleasant and The Song of Fire and Ice Series. I love magical stories! Also some of the Star Wars books are pretty good. Han Solo is Awesome!:love:
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Life of Pi because to me, it is all about the power of positive thinking. I have probably read it 3 times and it doesn't get old. I can't wait to take my daughter to the movie on Wednesday.

Can you,or anyone, tell me.........is there any bad thing that happens to the tiger? I haven't read it, many people have recommended it, but I am afraid it's going to be "Me and Marley" all over again (where everyone tells me it's great and then the dog dies). I am very sensitive to anything relating to harm coming to animals....I had a VERY hard time with Water for Elephants, as a book, and didn't watch it.

Lucky, if you liked "Marley and Me", then you'd probably like a book that I've seen in Target's paperback section. "Oogy" is about a rescued pit bull who is adopted by a couple who had previously adopted twin boys.

Reassurance? Or should I just stay away from this book/movie?
  • ericaknight95
    ericaknight95 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My favorite book is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It exposes the corruption of an extravagant, materialistic lifestyle, and the effect lust and obsession can have on a person.
  • xxTAMxx
    xxTAMxx Posts: 614
    Options
    The Power Of One & Tandia - Bryce Courtenay
    The Bride Stripped Bare - Nikki Gemmell
    Desert Flower - Waris Dirie
    Scar Tissue - Anthony Keidis
    Butterfly - Kathryn Harvey
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to choose just one book. I love a lot of those mentioned. Ender's Game and that entire series. The Harry Potter series. The Hunger Games series. A Song of Fire and Ice series.

Most of the books I read are for teens. I love John Green's books. I also really love Carrie Ryan's books.

In school, I loved Catcher in the Rye, The Martian Chronicles, A Clockwork Orange, The Bell Jar, and Gulliver's Travels.

I met my husband online because we are both fans of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I also love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. As I'm trying to narrow it down, I keep coming up with more books that I love, like Matilda by Roald Dahl, or The Giver by Lois Lowry, or Stardust by Neil Gaiman, or The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I give up, I can't narrow it down.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    - Cien anos de soledad (One hundred years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez, magical realism)
    - Roll of thunder hear my cry (young adult, changed my life in grade school)
    - most of C.S. lewis's books: the chronicles of narnia series (fantasy), the space trilogy (fantasy), Til we
    we have faces (fairy tale), The great divorce (allegory)

Great thread!
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be cliche and say the Hunger Games. What can I say, it was an awesome trilogy. Just hope the rest of the movies aren't as botched up as the first one was..
    I thought the movie was way better than the book. At least in the movie, some of the characters were likable. I would have made some different casting choices, but during the movie I didn't spend the whole time wishing that Katniss would just die. I guess I don't understand the hype. I thought the story was a little tired and the writing was abhorrent.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Law fiction: John Grisham is good.
    Travel: Bill Bryson is excellent, very funny.
    Non fiction history: David McCullough & Stephen Ambrose, both tell a very good narrative
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    The Perks of being a Wallflower. It was such a great book. I think I liked it so much because I'm a really shy person and having the main character,even though he had some things mentally wrong with him, be a wall flower going through high school made me feel connected to him. Interesting story over all though.
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Greatest revenge tale ever.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Infected or Contagious by Scott Sigler.

Bioterrorism, CIA coverups, military invasions, esp, extreme violence, and shockingly accurate science.

Great books, and the third on the way.