I went into the big boys gym survived! (question for lads)

Options
First let me say, I realise both men and women work out in the weights only heavy weights part of my gym... it's just tonight, my first time in there with a trainer, it was all lads. I would say there were 20 there and probably I was the oldest person there by at least 10 years (I'm 43)...

I was in with my trainer who is a cute female in her late 20s I'd guess.

I felt really really uncomfortable training there as they don't really chat and we were talking (because she was training me and it was my first time) and self-conscious. Not that I'm flattering myself into thinking they were looking at me, as I'm sure they have their own ****e to think about and working out is something you need to be focussed for...

but... what do lads think of unfit women in the big weights gym?

I'm hoping that I can go back there again to train and not feel so incredibly out of place, unfit and frankly frightened. It's not like they were going to gang up on me and make me do the plank but I was still so nervous...

any tips from girls who've done it and any lads who have a comment, please, enlighten me and say things that will make me want to try again!

PS I actually got a great workout in terms of form and effort because I felt like I was on the telly!!

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    You are fine in my opinion. We are all there for a reason, and you have every right to be anywhere in the gym that your membership covers. I think its cool for girls / women to lift the weights and not just stick to the cardio equipment.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    just keep it up. when you find yourself lifting heavier than some of those skinny legged youngsters, doing bicep curls in the mirror, you'll feel amazing (and quite smug)
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    just keep it up. when you find yourself lifting heavier than some of those skinny legged youngsters, doing bicep curls in the mirror, you'll feel amazing (and quite smug)

I'm so unfit I cannot imagine a time that could ever happen?!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It can be quite intimidating though I'm quite lucky because my gym is very small and all the users are a good bunch. Sometimes I've watched guys and though 'come on man, I lift heavier than that' then keep on watching and see them double the weight. Doesn't pay to be smug. One guy commented that a girl doing deadlifts is sexy no matter what the weight is - that really cheered me up.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

It makes her 35% hotter, not that you should care what I or any other man thinks.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    You are fine in my opinion. We are all there for a reason, and you have every right to be anywhere in the gym that your membership covers. I think its cool for girls / women to lift the weights and not just stick to the cardio equipment.

I know they probably aren't thinking anything of it...but it's a first timer kind of thing!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

One thing I realised quite quickly is that females generally underestimate how much they can lift. Sweat, swear, grunt if you need to but definitely go hard!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

It makes her 35% hotter, not that you should care what I or any other man thinks.
    ^Bingo.

Edit to add: You shouldn't care what any other woman thinks, either. Are you doing this for them? No. You're doing this for you. Your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters.

GOD. Double edit. Shouldn't. You *shouldn't* care what other women think. Not should.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Ding! :smokin:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I wanna do the plank... and Lea.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

I think "bravo"

Especially if she's wearing compression tights and has a nice *kitten*.

But that's by no means obligatory.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You will be surprised how quickly you will progress and how comfortable you will become in the free weight area.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    I wanna do the plank... and Lea.
    How YOU doin?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I feel like a badass when I'm the only girl in the free weight section honestly.

Just do your thing, ignore 'em.

If they bug you with awful comments, say something like "I'm getting strong so I can punch out jerks like you"

=D

Keep liftin'
  • LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was going to start lifting as well, but I couldnt force myself to go to the gym alone.. I just felt as if all the guys would stare at me, and look at all I did wrong.. And I would just be to awkward..

But, I have the best friend in the universe, and she agreed to follow my lifting plan, and now we do it together.. And it makes it so much easier.. it isnt awkward at all..
    Do you have anyone who could go with you?
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I loved (and now miss) working out with heavy weights at the gym (I have a home gym now). It is REALLY encouraging to DL and have a guy point and say"whoa". haha.. Stick with it- you're there for you and getting stronger. I don't know of too many guys who would dissent to that, and the ones that would- touch nookie, cookie!. :-)
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options

^Bingo.

Edit to add: You should care what any other woman thinks, either. Are you doing this for them? No. You're doing this for you. Your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters.

Well, call me a weak person, I do care what others think of me... most people do... I am doing this for me, but it's like putting a man into a beauty salon...it's totally fish out of water stuff...some people don't care what others think of them and some do. That's life. I'm fairly sure this is what people mean when they say, "horses for courses."
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen in the weights area at my gym which is like a meat market, some of the guys will approach the hot girls to bother them, but everyone else is usually focusing on themselves. They might take notice if you are putting up some heavy weight, but mainly they don't care.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I feel like a badass when I'm the only girl in the free weight section honestly.

Just do your thing, ignore 'em.

If they bug you with awful comments, say something like "I'm getting strong so I can punch out jerks like you"

=D

Keep liftin'

Yes, I will continue and it's not the type of gym where people would say anything TO you, just behind your back. :) I don't really mind then... just wondered what ppl thought of newbies who are unfit lifting.

In any case, not for long! I shall overcome! I did hear a guy at the gym tell an older woman (my age) that she was really looking great and to keep up the good work and he wasn't a trainer and he was HOT!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

^Bingo.

Edit to add: You should care what any other woman thinks, either. Are you doing this for them? No. You're doing this for you. Your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters.

Well, call me a weak person, I do care what others think of me... most people do... I am doing this for me, but it's like putting a man into a beauty salon...it's totally fish out of water stuff...some people don't care what others think of them and some do. That's life. I'm fairly sure this is what people mean when they say, "horses for courses."
    I offer helpful advice, and somehow you interpret that as me calling you weak?

*note to self* Stick to sarcasm from here on out.