I went into the big boys gym survived! (question for lads)

Options

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I understand how it could be intimidating. I felt the same way and just slowly progressed my way over there. You have as much right to be there as they do though! Get to lifting and you will soon feel awesome. Apparenlty now I'm known for my routine since I had someone come across the weight room to me the other day to let me know he would be finished with the squat rack soon since he knew I wanted to use it. :laugh:
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    From what I've seen in the weights area at my gym which is like a meat market, some of the guys will approach the hot girls to bother them, but everyone else is usually focusing on themselves. They might take notice if you are putting up some heavy weight, but mainly they don't care.

I could be many of the lads in there's mommy! :) I probably know their mum!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Well, call me a weak person, I do care what others think of me... most people do... I am doing this for me, but it's like putting a man into a beauty salon...it's totally fish out of water stuff...some people don't care what others think of them and some do. That's life. I'm fairly sure this is what people mean when they say, "horses for courses."

That's not weak - that's called being human.

You will get looked at but really it's more a novelty thing rather than a negative thing. Do your thing, be courteous and you'll be golden ;)
  • chicco57
    chicco57 Posts: 298
    Options
    having been in " the bigs boys gym" as you put it when being unfit when I started out...I like you was unsure.. and mainly stuck to the cardio at first...then slowly worked on the weights side of the gym... and hey I'm still here to tell the tale! lol

To be honest I found it hard to get on the machines at times...... but men found that too... but just waited my turn...and if I needed help with a machine ...I asked and they were only too willing to help...no they don't talk much to females...not in my gym anyways...but thats because they are all focused on their own workout and not bothered what anyone else is doing and that includeds other males. That includes me when im there I'm only interested in my workout as you will be...and we are all there for the same thing... to get fit! So get in there and enjoy and get fit!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    There are other people at the gym?
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Sarcasm greatly appreciated and I know that some people think caring what other people think is a weakness. I personalised. I don't know you or your sense of humour so took it at face value.

And thanks for the advice...maybe along with getting fitter I can learn to care less what others think...but with spandex involved, this will remain a challenge.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    if anyone gives you grief, tell them to f- off.

My view (as a strong guy who definitely needs to lose about 50lbs) is that anyone who is out there trying to get healthier needs to be ENCOURAGED. Not told they aren't in shape enough to be here.

Just accept that most of us (not all, but most) are focused on getting in, doing our work, and then leaving. I never like to spend more than 90 minutes in the gym so when I'm lifting I'm doing my exercise, timing my rest and then getting done as quickly as possible.

that said, if you need help with anything I guarantee that people will help if you ask (such as needing a spot, etc.)

Good luck and keep it up!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Half of them are trying to figure out the best way of saying hi. They're most likely to hurt themselves trying to impress you. They're all sucking in their gut. :flowerforyou:

Oh yeah, they're going to stop talking about musicals and macrame in your presence and switch the conversation to quads, reps, and cars. anything to butch it up. :tongue:

seriously, you belong there as much as they do. Go find yourself a nice Channing Tatum look-a-like dude to spot you.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sarcasm greatly appreciated and I know that some people think caring what other people think is a weakness. I personalised. I don't know you or your sense of humour so took it at face value.

And thanks for the advice...maybe along with getting fitter I can learn to care less what others think...but with spandex involved, this will remain a challenge.

FWIW, I'm flat out afraid of the gym at all... lots of people are. You're going. Step one accomplished, so Kudos to you! It's not abnormal to feel self-conscious.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    having been in " the bigs boys gym" as you put it when being unfit when I started out...I like you was unsure.. and mainly stuck to the cardio at first...then slowly worked on the weights side of the gym... and hey I'm still here to tell the tale! lol

To be honest I found it hard to get on the machines at times...... but men found that too... but just waited my turn...and if I needed help with a machine ...I asked and they were only too willing to help...no they don't talk much to females...not in my gym anyways...but thats because they are all focused on their own workout and not bothered what anyone else is doing and that includeds other males. That includes me when im there I'm only interested in my workout as you will be...and we are all there for the same thing... to get fit! So get in there and enjoy and get fit!

thanks for the encouragment! :) yes, the funny thing about my gym is there are weights machines cardio in one room and in another room which has a fancy name like 'advanced training' there are just weights and boxing thingee and a few other things that I don't know what they are but appear to be instruments of torture :)

I'm going back!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    First let me say, I realise both men and women work out in the weights only heavy weights part of my gym... it's just tonight, my first time in there with a trainer, it was all lads. I would say there were 20 there and probably I was the oldest person there by at least 10 years (I'm 43)...

I was in with my trainer who is a cute female in her late 20s I'd guess.

I felt really really uncomfortable training there as they don't really chat and we were talking (because she was training me and it was my first time) and self-conscious. Not that I'm flattering myself into thinking they were looking at me, as I'm sure they have their own ****e to think about and working out is something you need to be focussed for...

but... what do lads think of unfit women in the big weights gym?

I'm hoping that I can go back there again to train and not feel so incredibly out of place, unfit and frankly frightened. It's not like they were going to gang up on me and make me do the plank but I was still so nervous...

any tips from girls who've done it and any lads who have a comment, please, enlighten me and say things that will make me want to try again!

PS I actually got a great workout in terms of form and effort because I felt like I was on the telly!!

I don't care WHAT the big boys think!! I still have 30# to lose before I cross the line from obese to overweight...then another 20 or so to be *healthy*

I have wanted to go in the big boys room for a while. One day I was doing the machines and I saw a lady over there leg pressing. I made a comment to her about wanting to do that *someday* and she showed me how!! The bar alone was 118lbs, and I actually found it to be EASY. The next time I leg pressed, I asked the trainer ( early 20s guy, super cute) to help me load the machine. he put 90# on there ( for a total of 208) and I did it fine!!

I keep hearing that squats are awesome, and the trainer is a big advocate of using weights vs machines...so a few weeks ago I decided to try squatting again ( I tried it like 6 months ago and was SUPER sore, so I quit) and asked the trainer to watch me to make sure my form was good. I can squat a measly 65# right now, but am hoping to be close to 100# by Christmas.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I always say to fake it until you feel it.

Walk in there as well if you belong and with time it will come naturally.

I love lifting and really feel at home in the free weight part of the gym.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Half of them are trying to figure out the best way of saying hi. They're most likely to hurt themselves trying to impress you. They're all sucking in their gut. :flowerforyou:

Oh yeah, they're going to stop talking about musicals and macrame in your presence and switch the conversation to quads, reps, and cars. anything to butch it up. :tongue:

seriously, you belong there as much as they do. Go find yourself a nice Channing Tatum look-a-like dude to spot you.

I love it! :)
    Actually, the reason I felt so self conscious was that my personal trainer was with me, being all sweet and cute and encouraging...like dealing with someone standing on a ledge :)
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    First let me say, I realise both men and women work out in the weights only heavy weights part of my gym... it's just tonight, my first time in there with a trainer, it was all lads. I would say there were 20 there and probably I was the oldest person there by at least 10 years (I'm 43)...

I felt really really uncomfortable training there as they don't really chat and we were talking (because she was training me and it was my first time) and self-conscious. Not that I'm flattering myself into thinking they were looking at me, as I'm sure they have their own ****e to think about and working out is something you need to be focussed for...

I'm hoping that I can go back there again to train and not feel so incredibly out of place, unfit and frankly frightened. It's not like they were going to gang up on me and make me do the plank but I was still so nervous...

any tips from girls who've done it and any lads who have a comment, please, enlighten me and say things that will make me want to try again!

PS I actually got a great workout in terms of form and effort because I felt like I was on the telly!!

I don't care WHAT the big boys think!! I still have 30# to lose before I cross the line from obese to overweight...then another 20 or so to be *healthy*

I have wanted to go in the big boys room for a while. One day I was doing the machines and I saw a lady over there leg pressing. I made a comment to her about wanting to do that *someday* and she showed me how!! The bar alone was 118lbs, and I actually found it to be EASY. The next time I leg pressed, I asked the trainer ( early 20s guy, super cute) to help me load the machine. he put 90# on there ( for a total of 208) and I did it fine!!

I keep hearing that squats are awesome, and the trainer is a big advocate of using weights vs machines...so a few weeks ago I decided to try squatting again ( I tried it like 6 months ago and was SUPER sore, so I quit) and asked the trainer to watch me to make sure my form was good. I can squat a measly 65# right now, but am hoping to be close to 100# by Christmas.

That's some accomplisment! Well done!! I will go in there do my bit and go...I'd imagine one day if I'm all lean and strong and tight some of them might call me a MILF. It happens sometimes already when I'm clothed. I'll know I'm fit when it happens in work out clothes too haha
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's great. Makes the place more balanced. But if you and one of the "lads" start chatting while I'm waiting for a bench to be released I'll toot in your general direction, too.

In my humble experience the women that I know that lift are more serious on the floor than the guys.

(sorry, pissed off today at the barbell grunting monkeys in my gym.)

There is no reason you should ever not feel comfortable and welcome. Do your thing! Enjoy the place, bust it out!
  • Kryxx
    Kryxx Posts: 34
    Options
    My honest (and possibly) shallow opinion; I just think "good on you, your going to be a fine piece of eye candy in a few months!"
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    You are fine in my opinion. We are all there for a reason, and you have every right to be anywhere in the gym that your membership covers. I think its cool for girls / women to lift the weights and not just stick to the cardio equipment.

this. more power to you if you're expanding your comfort zone
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to anybody else in the gym. I go there to do what needs to be done and get out. This morning I talked to one of the other guys only because he asked me if he could work in a set in the squat rack. I'll sometimes watch the trainers with newbies, only because I might glean ways to improve my form, but I only do so in as inconspicuous a way as possible.

Sure, guys will notice if women are present all of a sudden. But for the majority, it would only be a minor interruption before going back to doing whatever they were doing.

Short Version: They were almost certainly more concerned with what they needed to do than what you were doing. Just do what you need to do.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options

If I see anyone in the free weights area, provided they're using correct technique then big amounts of respect goes out to them.

Form over weight, all the time.

So so SO many people seem to believe lifting big in the free weights area is the only way to go, but in reality more than 75% of the people doing it in there lifting big weights are doing it _all_ wrong.

As long as you're keeping your form good, then keep it up! You'll find plenty of people watching you - mainly because they'll be impressed!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Most (99%) of the guys there will just be checking out your bum when they reckon you're not looking.

The other 1% will be gay :bigsmile: