The Twinkie Diet......interesting read. NOT suggesting it

Options

Replies

• frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    One) What exactly are twinkies? They're not widely sold in the UK so I don't know

Two) I couldn't do it xD
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Ive never had a Twinkie :sad:

Don't feel bad. They taste...umm....artificial. Because they ARE NOT FOOD!

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • Nighthawk4
    Nighthawk4 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Apparently the makers of Twinkies have gone bust now :noway:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Don't feel bad. They taste...umm....artificial. Because they ARE NOT FOOD!

Hollycat:flowerforyou:

News flash, they are food
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options

You're not missing much. The raspberry zingers are much better.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing this...but instead of Twinkies I'm eating a candybar a day and Mcdonalds Fish fillet and nuggets. So far...no weight gain. Just experimenting to see if I can maintain on a certain number of calories, no matter where they are from.

Yup.

I can.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This was a really interesting read!
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    I want to expound upon what I am doing is temporary. Just something fun to do while I am "MAINTAINING." Weight loss is one thing. Hypertrophy is another. And maintaining is a WHOLE other ballgame. Got to make it fun. I am not trying to lose weight. And currently not trying to put on more musculature at this time(later, but not now. Am HAPPY where I am at. ) I needed to make the holiday season fun. Usually I pack on the pounds. This season, I preemptively put craptastic yummy foods in. Keep it at a certain cal count and my temptation is gone. I am not gaining. Keeping my workouts to less than 10-20 mintues to prove it's calorie control not exercise that is the ultimate deciding factor in weight gain/loss.

I will end this experiment of mine end of Dec but until then...this is FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,948 Member
    Options
    I imagine that the blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose and micronutrient counts were all way off for the Twinkie guy...
    Nope, sans the micronutrients, they all improved, which doesn't prove much considering that's what happens anyway when weight is lost, but it did happen even with that diet.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    Just ate my lunch today. Entree? Candybar instead of a twinkie on my version of this diet. YUM!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Any calorie-restrictive diet will allow you to lose wait. But that doesn't mean it's good for ya! ;)

Weight, not wait!!! ;-)

[Note: I know this guy personally, hence why i am picking on him for this]
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Proves the whole thing of clean eating to be bunk... from a weight loss perspective.

When it comes to weight loss, yes. But when it comes to feeling good and having long-term health benefits, not bunk at all.

He wasn't trying to say that the Twinkie diet was healthy, he was doing it to disprove the notion that the poor are obese because their diet is crap foods and there's no way they can lose weight until they have access to better quality food. He proved that you could maintain or even lose weight eating crap--again, it's calories in vs calories out.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Proves the whole thing of clean eating to be bunk... from a weight loss perspective.

lol the theory of clean eating isn't about weight loss.
  • neanderthin
    Options

They didn't say it was, that's why they said from a weight loss perspective. Clean eating is also a matter of perspective, mine being very different from yours.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

They didn't say it was, that's why they said from a weight loss perspective. Clean eating is also a matter of perspective, mine being very different from yours.

that's all well and good... but clean eating doesn't really have different perspectives... either you're eating whole, unprocessed foods or you're not. Now, it's ok NOT to eat clean sometimes - there's nothing wrong with that - but that's what you're doing. you're not eating clean. don't fool yourself otherwise.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs the month of december experimenting with this. Granted this kind of eating made me crave chicken and turkey like nobody's business!

Did I lose weight. YES. YES!

But I admit I felt sluggish.

Thinner yet sluggish..

I am back to eating regular...and mostly good fats and proteins.

I discovered through my lil experiment that my body recomps in an awesome way by eating avocados...and eating yummy chicken.

So does eating twinkies(or in my case a candybar in place of breakfast, lunch and dinner work?) yup. As long as you fit it within your calorie requirements. But for some people eating like that CAN open the floodgates. I found for myself..eating a candybar was fine. For some reason eating chocolate cake for dinner? I wanted more.

I feel better eating whole foods. I admit. But I did prove to myself that eating candybar or cake here and there won't ruin your weight loss as long as it fits in your cal requirements and you do not reach for seconds.

But I feel better without the candy now. I discovered my body can lose the weight on junk, but doesn't run very well on all the sugar. My workouts were not as great. My muscularity wasn't as defined. I was smaller. Yes. But I l didn't look strong. I looked soft.

Now I am eating regular foods- with the occasional sweet thrown in. Feeling better. Looking better. Muscularity is back. More energy for my workouts. STRONGER.

SO i am Glad I did the experiment. Very very glad. I found out that calories in and out is very true...but for recomping ...there is more to it than that.
  • neanderthin
    Options

that's all well and good... but clean eating doesn't really have different perspectives... either you're eating whole, unprocessed foods or you're not. Now, it's ok NOT to eat clean sometimes - there's nothing wrong with that - but that's what you're doing. you're not eating clean. don't fool yourself otherwise.
    Thank you for making my point clearer.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options

BUMP for BREAKING news:
    Twinkies due on shelves by summer as $410 million bid OK'd
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/12/news/companies/twinkies-buyer/
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    For those of you looking for a generic Twinkie alternative until Twinkies are back on the shelves, here is a review from consumer reports:

http://news.consumerreports.org/home/2013/03/hostess-twinkie-and-the-snack-artist-creme-cake-taste-test.html

Nothing beats the original