YMCA- anyone else?

Options
I am going to sign up again this Saturday. We had a family membership a few years ago but didnt really take advantage of it (other than the pool). Its actually one of the cheaper gyms for me to sign up at. I was surprised by that! Anyone else go to the Y? What do you do for working out there? (anything youd tell someone isnt worth doing?)

I plan to swim, cycle and try Zumba!

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I wish I had access to the Y.. it is about an hour a way and way more expensive than my local gym..
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    the best part about the Y is traveling... if i have to travel i can find a local Y wherever i am and my membership carries ove r
  • Revellinginmn
    Options
    I love the Y! I prefer it to bigger gyms, and it's cheaper too. Honestly, I struggle with social anxiety sometimes and it's a bit intimidating to go to the gym. The YMCA just feels more inviting, even if all I do is walk the track :)

Good luck!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my YMCA(s). I have a city-wide membership and mostly go to one near my house, although sometimes I drive a little farther to a newer one. I love the people who work there. I love that there is a wide variety of people who work out there. I like the fact that the equipment is clean, safe and up-to-date. I love their free childcare, and my daughter does too. I like being able to take my daughter to swimming lessons and also like being able to swim all summer for no added cost.

I pay more for my Y membership than I do for a regular commercial gym membership, but I feel like I get my money's worth, plus they contribute a lot to disadvantaged youth and offer a lot of programs for senior citizens, as well.

I wouldn't go anywhere else!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i love it. I do treadmill, weights, elliptical, zumba, stationary bike. I mix it up whatever i feel like that day
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    LOVE the Y!!

We have been members since February and I have been there 3-4x a week pretty much EVERY week since then.

I started off just on the treadmill, then 2 weeks later I picked a few strength machines to start with...and every few weeks I would add another one. At my particular branch, there is one trainer that is there M-F when I am there. he is like 20ish and super cute and sweet.

If you do join, take advantage of the fitstart classes. That will give you an idea of how to use the machines and give you an opportunity to ask a trainer any questions you might have. The trainer that works when I am there is really approachable and I am comfortable asking him for help with my lifting form or whatever...
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I find that it's fun to stay at the YMCA. You can get yourself clean, you can have a good meal, you can do whatever you feel.

But seriously ... I'm a six-days-a-week early-morning regular at my local Y. Spin classes, lap swiming, free weights, elliptical trainers, etc. ... it's all good!

Spend a while going regularly at the same time, and before long, there's a bunch of people that you know (at least well enough to talk to). And that's a powerful motivator to be consistent: a social context. If you don't show up, you know there's someone who'll miss you. And if others don't show up, you'll miss them. I think it's pretty powerful stuff.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yep. We have a membership at the Y.
    The only downside are the "C" hours on Sundays.:smile:
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have a membership to the Y, I do my Zumba classes and I've tried most of the other ones too. Each Y offers their own group fitness classes and I suggest trying all of them once (if possible) and deciding for yourself which ones you like and want to take. I have used the gym (wellness center) also, but I'm not much for the gerbil machines.
  • conraj74
    conraj74 Posts: 182
    Options
    I do my lifting at the local YMCA. It has every thing I need, plus my kids enjoy it.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love my YMCA. State of the art, friendly staff, absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me. I lift weights twice a week, use the arc, treadmill, recumbant bikes, and stairmaster. I can honestly say I shower there more than I do my own home nowadays lol... And the dry sauna is awesome!

http://www.hornellymca.com/PhotoGallery.html
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love my YMCA. State of the art, friendly staff, absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me. I lift weights twice a week, use the arc, treadmill, recumbant bikes, and stairmaster. I can honestly say I shower there more than I do my own home nowadays lol... And the dry sauna is awesome!

WOW that's a nice Y!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Spend a while going regularly at the same time, and before long, there's a bunch of people that you know (at least well enough to talk to). And that's a powerful motivator to be consistent: a social context. If you don't show up, you know there's someone who'll miss you. And if others don't show up, you'll miss them. I think it's pretty powerful stuff.

the front desk guy has started greeting me by name in the last few weeks...the trainer and fitness monitor (?) that are scheduled during my normal workout time know my schedule--the trainer has actually commented when I am running a little late! he knows my off day. I mentioned last week that my quads were sore, and this morning he asked how they were feeling.

several other members have said something to me specifically about noticing that I have been coming in regularly for quite a while.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    OMG I love my Y ! I get a great workout, our Zumba instructor is wonderful and I'd put her up against one anywhere. People are friendly, it's not a meat market, and the people that work there are nice and courteous. You can get a personal trainer there to help you get in shape, and try lots of classes and activities till you find the ones that you really love. It's very easy to meet new people.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

WOW that's a nice Y!

OMgosh, I too, am jealous of your Y!!!! I wish we had that much room!!

We love our YMCA though. If you have not taken one yet, take the new Tabata group X class. They are awesome!
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I joined at the end of June. I have access to 12ish different locations in my area and then can use it when I go to my hometown Y. If yours has the Fitlinxx system, you can track you exercises and some of the strength machines are hooked up to it. It keeps track of the machine seat/back settings, range of motion and the weight to lift. Its definitely helped me with getting used to better form and being more aware of my muscle locations. Plus, its kinda cool when you finish your workout and the system tells you that you lifted 17,000 lbs :tongue:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Our YMCA is amazing, simply amazing. I get a corporate discount and it is super affordable. The one down the street has a lazy river in the pool...

I do Zumba, Yoga, and Pilates. Plus run and weights.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Y because the kids get a workout, too! Yesterday I thought the kid zone was open but it wasn't when I went, so I had my 7 year old son with me, we played basketball for an hour instead (that's what I like about it!).

You don't get "pressured" into contracts or anything, it's month to month and if we decide to stop then we stop for a few months only to start again without any joining fees. We had zero joining fee anyway for State employees, which my husband is one. Everyone is nice, the equipment is cleaned regularly. There's a skatepark for the kiddos, swimming, teen center, child watch or kid zone for kids and an outdoor play area (jungle gym) so kids get exercise too or help with homework. There is also free tea and coffee at all times.

I swim, elliptical, lift weights, bike. I don't do any classes (yet). I do the treadmill once in a great while.
  • JustRenea
    JustRenea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :sad: you're all making me miss being at the Y! ...i have one literally across the street from my house but i no longer have a membership
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Y lifter here!