YMCA- anyone else?

Options

Replies

• MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I love my "Y":love: !!! We have three different weight rooms with one being only free weights~that is the one I utilize. Everything is clean and "well loved" (read: used). Wouldn't go anywhere else.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I also have a membership there... Love it! Go to: Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, and my favorite.... Body Pump!!!! :glasses: I saw the dietitian there and she was very helpful. She and her assistant help me out each week to make sure I'm on track with my food and exercise. As others have stated, they have a sauna, and not sure if someone stated, but they also have a massage therapist!

They have other classes like TRX, Dawn Patrol, Aqua Aerobics, Belly Dancing, Tai Chi, and others. Not to mention the 'normal' activities & equipment of basketball, pool, elliptical, treadmills, weights, stairmasters, spin classes, racketball, and more.

The instructors make the classes fun and the staff members are really nice. Even the members are friendly.

Anyway, that's my two cents! :wink:
  • kmudica
    Options
    Y member here! I do power yoga, treadmill, swimming and I will start lidting this week. My daughter takes ballet and kid zumba.
    WE HEART THE YMCA!
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    Y member and staff. I teach and take group ex classes f many varieties. Love the Y's mission statement and way of "being"!
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    My work has a fitness center so I don't pay for the YMCA anymore but I miss all the group classes they offer!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    1239908_o.gif
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I just returned from out local Y. I love it there!! I lift weights, swim, walk, use their machines, and until I broke my foot, I enjoyed the Zumba classes. Good luck!

D
  • smccully88
    smccully88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love my YMCA. This is where I workout almost every day of the week. I do the majority of the classes there, and have tried them all. I love the staff and the instructors to my classes have become great friends. I had met so many incredible people through the YMCA!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    1239908_o.gif

heh
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I love the Y. It's cheaper than most gyms in my area -- plus, my employer has a partnership with them that says if I go six times a month, three months in a row, I get the fourth month free.

I mostly use the treadmill and stationary bikes. I have a student ID for a local university, so I use the pool there. But, I like how the Y has a branch in my building, and it's mostly friendly.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Would love to go to the Y however my income's a bit too low for the membership currently so will stick to my gym for a bit longer until my income goes up a bit more for me to feel comfortable shelling out the money
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my YMCA(s). I have a city-wide membership and mostly go to one near my house, although sometimes I drive a little farther to a newer one. I love the people who work there. I love that there is a wide variety of people who work out there. I like the fact that the equipment is clean, safe and up-to-date. I love their free childcare, and my daughter does too. I like being able to take my daughter to swimming lessons and also like being able to swim all summer for no added cost.

I pay more for my Y membership than I do for a regular commercial gym membership, but I feel like I get my money's worth, plus they contribute a lot to disadvantaged youth and offer a lot of programs for senior citizens, as well.

I wouldn't go anywhere else!

I couldn't say it better so I'll just quote my buddy. What she said. It's amazing.
  • joyzy
    joyzy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've gone to the Y an average of 5-6 times a week for the last 14 months. It is an amazing place and resource for our family. I put the kids in the babysitting room (which they love) and I'm free for 2 hours to exercise however I want. I started with walking on the treadmill and using the elliptical.

Then this winter I added in lifting weights and running on the treadmill.

Now I use the indoor or outdoor track or treadmill 6 days a week and lift weights 2-3x/week.

I've also tried some classes, and swimming and biking.
  • beinghappy729
    beinghappy729 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I start the Y this summer for the indoor pool. It gets hot where I'm live.I like the step, body pump and rpm classes the best. Zumba is my least.
    When I can't make it to a class I do the treadmill in the cinema room.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    We don't have a YMCA in my town anymore. They shut down. It's a RESTAURANT now! :noway:
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Would love to go to the Y however my income's a bit too low for the membership currently so will stick to my gym for a bit longer until my income goes up a bit more for me to feel comfortable shelling out the money

They go by your income level for what you can pay. It says right on their website that no one will be turned away for inability to pay. Id print that off and show it to them if they give you any flack or maybe talk to the director and show them. (HUGS)

"We believe that communities are only successful if they give everyone the opportunity to be healthy, confident, connected and secure. The Y's Annual Support Campaign raises funds to provide program and membership assistance. We also offer flexible membership rates based on household income. Our goal is that no one is turned away due to inability to pay. Stop by your local Y Member Services desk or call to find out more information."
  • zumbaabby
    Options
    I work (part time) at our local Y. I am a Zumba Instructor, but I love the other classes and utilize the weight rooms and cardio as well. I love it :)
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I have a membership but because of my stupid work schedule, I'm not able to attend any of my favorite classes. Anyways, I'd recommend the 'Hot Yoga' class and the 'Kickboxing'.

Umm I forget what the other one is called, but it was intense cardio.. If I ever come across the name of it. I'll definitely post it as well.
  • olgamarie_t
    olgamarie_t Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    in my case the Y is a lil more expensive but I like it better because its less intimidating,in the gym mostly people are fit ,in the Y its family oriented,my kids can go and its not intimating at all,the only bad thing is there is no sauna,I would have to travel 30 min to the Y that has sauna
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

They go by your income level for what you can pay. It says right on their website that no one will be turned away for inability to pay. Id print that off and show it to them if they give you any flack or maybe talk to the director and show them. (HUGS)

"We believe that communities are only successful if they give everyone the opportunity to be healthy, confident, connected and secure. The Y's Annual Support Campaign raises funds to provide program and membership assistance. We also offer flexible membership rates based on household income. Our goal is that no one is turned away due to inability to pay. Stop by your local Y Member Services desk or call to find out more information."

THIS for sure!!

I budgeted for the full $900 or so for a family membership, but I had heard that a bunch of my friends had gotten discounts due to income levels...so I took in hubby's pay stubs when I signed up. I mentioned the discounts, and showed them the stubs and ended up getting a 50% discount--I think we paid $490 for a family membership. That boils down to about $10 a week for the WHOLE family!