why do people think carbs are so bad/evil?

Options
123457»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

By posting this, you've pretty much ensured that nobody can take anything you say seriously from this point forward.

I've been a vegetarian for 20 years- my entire adult life- and I even find this statistically meaningless and offensive.

I'm sorry that I wasted my time explaining carbohydrates to you, you obviously have zero grasp on how nutrition or health works.

offensive? how?
    my point was only to show that if following their own advice the people claiming carbs are so bad are not the thin people they claim their diet will make you...I dont know how anyone can take atkins seriously when he died overweight and of heart disease.
    Sorry I did not know you were the resident expert on all things nutrition and vegetarian. I was expressing an opinion...tis all. Sorry to offend you ms expert.

Thanks! I appreciate the apology! :bigsmile:

I still won't take anything you say seriously, though.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil. As with anything you should have them in moderation. You should however be choosy about which carbs you eat. General rule of thumb: Avoid WHITE or over processed refined carbs such as white bread and pastas, white rice, white potatoes, (though I don't think potatoes are that bad). Instead have whole grain breads and pastas, brown or wild rice, barley, quinoa, oats. These are good carbs. Unless you have a medical issue, you should eat a moderate portion of these. Meals should be balanced.

Why are white carbs bad and brown carbs good?

I'm not a scientist or a doctor but everything I've heard or read states that brown carbs are natural and complex while white carbs are simple and refined. Carbs in their natural form (brown) contribute to more long-term good health, appetite control and longer sustained energy levels than the refined (white). The white aren't going to kill you or anything,they just aren't as efficient or healthy because they've been stripped of nutrients during the refining processes. (which is why I don't think white potatoes really count, they too are natural)

anyway....makes sense to me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

By posting this, you've pretty much ensured that nobody can take anything you say seriously from this point forward.

I've been a vegetarian for 20 years- my entire adult life- and I even find this statistically meaningless and offensive.

I'm sorry that I wasted my time explaining carbohydrates to you, you obviously have zero grasp on how nutrition or health works.

offensive? how?
    my point was only to show that if following their own advice the people claiming carbs are so bad are not the thin people they claim their diet will make you...I dont know how anyone can take atkins seriously when he died overweight and of heart disease.
    Sorry I did not know you were the resident expert on all things nutrition and vegetarian. I was expressing an opinion...tis all. Sorry to offend you ms expert.
    Atkins was not overweight and he died of a blow to the head when he slipped on a patch of ice. And I believe he was well into his 70s.

I'm not a low-carber, but I also don't post urban legends to back up my opinion.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil. As with anything you should have them in moderation. You should however be choosy about which carbs you eat. General rule of thumb: Avoid WHITE or over processed refined carbs such as white bread and pastas, white rice, white potatoes, (though I don't think potatoes are that bad). Instead have whole grain breads and pastas, brown or wild rice, barley, quinoa, oats. These are good carbs. Unless you have a medical issue, you should eat a moderate portion of these. Meals should be balanced.

I'm not a scientist or a doctor but everything I've heard or read states that brown carbs are natural and complex while white carbs are simple and refined. Carbs in their natural form (brown) contribute to more long-term good health, appetite control and longer sustained energy levels than the refined (white). The white aren't going to kill you or anything,they just aren't as efficient or healthy because they've been stripped of nutrients during the refining processes. (which is why I don't think white potatoes really count, they too are natural)

Anti nutrients found in whole grains cause actual nutrients that are absorbed on par or slightly better then their more refined counterparts, so eat what you like the taste of, the health benefits between the two aren't as big as one would lead you to beleive
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Anti nutrients found in whole grains cause actual nutrients that are absorbed on par or slightly better then their more refined counterparts, so eat what you like the taste of, the health benefits between the two aren't as big as one would lead you to beleive

hmm
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't think Carbs are bad/evil but I do end up eating too much bread and find myself more hungry. For example when I was eating low carbs, I would come home full and not be fussed about dinner. I would eat it to stop myself from feeling faint but I wouldn't have much of an appetitie. Since I have been back on the carbs, I would not feel satisfied with just an omelette so I probably have bread or something else with it.