2»

Replies

• kulaid813
    Options
    Bump
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Make sure you tell your trainer exactly what you want. If you can do a trial session with a trainer first, I would recommend. You won't like every trainer's style. It is amazing how weight training will change your body. Make sure you ask your trainer to take your measurements and body fat % before you start. Like somebody else stated, you might not see much of a difference on the scale, but you will see inches gone. I'm not sure how many days you plan on meeting a trainer, but if only one, pick at least one more day to do weights and make sure you fit in cardio as well since you are trying to lose weight.

Good luck to you!

it all depends on what the trainer suggest. The membership I got provides me unlimited sessions with a trainer :-) so I'll take advantage of that
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm an advocate of strength training, just wanted to drop by and say "YAY!!!"
    Also, just so you can have an idea of what strength training did for me, take a look at my thread I started the other day.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/798738-same-weight-only-difference-is-weight-training-pics
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    strength training has transformed my body. I do a combination of heavy strength training 3x per week with some HIIT cardio, being generally active, eating clean, and watching my calories (I aim for about 1900 calories each day). I started at a size 20 and am now a size 6.

I am trying out Crossfit now (I got a good deal through Livingsocial) which combines strength training with more athletic / conditioning moves. It is a ton of fun too! Figured it is good to mix things up.

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is HIIT cardio?
    btw congratulations on your achievement.
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    Make sure you tell your trainer exactly what you want. If you can do a trial session with a trainer first, I would recommend. You won't like every trainer's style.

This x1000. Be explicit in telling the trainer what you want/expect. If your expectations are too high, he/she can tell you. But unless he/she knows what your real goal(s) is/are, he/she* can only give you basic advice.

* Too many qualifiers! It would help if I could remember if you mentioned the trainer was a guy or girl...

:blushing:

ETA: Also meant that while we can tell you what worked for us - it may not work or be suitable for you.

Thanks! I hope it works for me. I dont know yet if my trainer will be a he/she. Do you think it matters?
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    I'm an advocate of strength training, just wanted to drop by and say "YAY!!!"
    Also, just so you can have an idea of what strength training did for me, take a look at my thread I started the other day.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/798738-same-weight-only-difference-is-weight-training-pics

Thanks checking it out
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Talk to you trainer. Tell them your goals. Make sure you are a good fit with them and then do what they say.

Don't go mixing lifting protocols.

If you want to do New Rules then tell them that, and have them build you routine off of it, show you the exercises and practice form, and then you probably don't need them anymore unless you have an issue with self motivation.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    strength training has transformed my body. I do a combination of heavy strength training 3x per week with some HIIT cardio, being generally active, eating clean, and watching my calories (I aim for about 1900 calories each day). I started at a size 20 and am now a size 6.

I am trying out Crossfit now (I got a good deal through Livingsocial) which combines strength training with more athletic / conditioning moves. It is a ton of fun too! Figured it is good to mix things up.

Thanks!

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. There are lots of ways to accomplish it - but basically you do intervals of maximum cardio mixed with recovery in between. On a treadmill you can sprint for 30-45 seconds, then briskly walk or jog for 1 min. This goes on for 20 minutes. You will be totally gassed after the 20 min workout! There is lots of info on it online about all the benefits of HIIT cardio during and after the workout. I found that it has helped me with my running speed. You can do HIIT on an elliptical, stairmaster, rowing machine, etc.

I did use a trainer to learn all the strength training stuff, so you are on the right track. I went through a few trainers before I found the one that I really liked. Don't be afraid to voice what you want. I am excited for you!
  • proudmommy1003
    Options

Thanks!

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. There are lots of ways to accomplish it - but basically you do intervals of maximum cardio mixed with recovery in between. On a treadmill you can sprint for 30-45 seconds, then briskly walk or jog for 1 min. This goes on for 20 minutes. You will be totally gassed after the 20 min workout! There is lots of info on it online about all the benefits of HIIT cardio during and after the workout. I found that it has helped me with my running speed. You can do HIIT on an elliptical, stairmaster, rowing machine, etc.

I did use a trainer to learn all the strength training stuff, so you are on the right track. I went through a few trainers before I found the one that I really liked. Don't be afraid to voice what you want. I am excited for you!

Thank you for explaining that! I will definitely look into that and will do my research before meeting with my trainer