Dating a morbidly obese person....

Options

Replies

• RavenBeauty87
    RavenBeauty87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As somebody who has lost their other half, if I were you I wouldn't date him. I would worry about him killing himself because of his weight and his lack of wanting to get healthy. In my eyes I'd be afraid of falling head over heels and then losing him to a heart attack. That's just me, and it's nothing against the guy.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. You're not being mean (it might feel that way) but if you enjoy talking to him then continue and tell him about the change you are doing. Just watch him and if he is trying to change then wonderful keep going with the relationship. If not then that is a time to part ways. He probably will say something like "It's my weight, huh?" Then that is when you can really explain that no it's not that it's because you are not trying to make yourself healthy. There will always be the arguement of you're trying to change him but this is really life or death. It is very hard to change your lifestyle when your partner is doing what they want. It is very hard for me to eat healthy when I see my husband eating fast food and sweets.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I don't think a person gets to 300 or 500 pounds by having a healthy relationship with food. Just like two anorexcs (especially if one is just starting to get better and the other isn't even trying) will tend to fuel the unhealthy fire in each other, I would think it happens on the other end of the scale, as well.

Or even two alcoholics.

My advice is not to do this. Your own well-being is at stake and I doubt he will change just because you are changing.

Have to agree with this....

I do as well....you could end up hurting yourself.

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost
    Than never to have loved at all.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    500 pounds --

I would be worried about dating and becoming serious with someone who doesn't take their health seriously, because you could lose him early to health trouble.

He sounds like a sweetheart, though.

You could always encourage him to get "healthy" with you. :)

I don't have much advice, sorry for the lack of answer.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    In a way, I think it would be like two drug addicts hooking up. It becomes harder for either one of them to get clean and sober.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't think a person gets to 300 or 500 pounds by having a healthy relationship with food. Just like two anorexcs (especially if one is just starting to get better and the other isn't even trying) will tend to fuel the unhealthy fire in each other, I would think it happens on the other end of the scale, as well.

Or even two alcoholics.

My advice is not to do this. Your own well-being is at stake and I doubt he will change just because you are changing.

yep
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Open and Honest is the best way to be in any kind of relationship. If he doesn't support your decisions to eat the way you do, then you will know that it just isn't going to work, however maybe he will see all of your hard work and want to follow along and try to get healthy himself. Sometimes it takes another person to get people motivated. Maybe you could be his lifesaver!!! I say give it a go. True love is not easy to find, maybe he is your true love..... <3
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Getting in a relationship thinking your are going to change him, what could possibly go wrong?

Thanks for the great advice! lol

^^ All you need to know.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    well, what do you guys have in common? Favorite food, music, movies, etc? If it's just the small things, then just stay friends, you're on a lifelong journey which should become a lifestyle. If he's not into the healthy aspects then he's not for you. Getting in shape and being healthy should be more than temporary, and if he's not interested, then he's not for you, because all he'll do is drag you down with him. If you look at food like a drug, which a lot of people do, or in my case ciggarettes. I have a hard time quitting, not because I can't, like mark Twain says, " I have no problems quitting, I've done it a thousand times." But because as soon as I get around smokers, the smell makes my brain want that nicotine. Same for food, if you're sitting there eating a chicken breast and veggies, and he's eating a pizza, the smell will make you crave the fat, cheesy goodness. lol Drug addicts, ie food addicts have a tendency to bring the people around them down with them. So, if you're serious about the healthy lifestyle, then he's not for you. However, I'm available. : )
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Here is my question...do you want to take care of him if he puts on another 50 or 100 pounds? When I met my wife I explained that I had chonic illnesses that may put me in the hospital a week at a time. If you don't want that in your life, I understand. If you are not happy your health will suffer. Look at the number of posts where people are upset their significant other is not supportive and the problems it causes. Can you do what you want for your health if these things happen?
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I think this decision has to be all about you. *IF* you think that you can stay on your diet around someone who is eating a lot and have food in your face all the time then it's no problem. I know I would get derailed, but you may be strong enough to turn the food down. It would be like a recovering heroin addict dating a dealer. It just wouldn't work.

Keep in mind that any kind of active life together is unlikely. At the weight you described minimal exercise is going to be painful for him and 'dates' will be sedentary. I know that would be the opposite of the kind of relationship that I need right now, that might not be the case for you.

Length of life. Unless he actively starts working on his health and his weight he will die of an obesity related disease sooner rather than later. Is this something you can deal with?

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't date him, just think it through. At this point in your weight loss journey is a relationship with this person a good thing for you?
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would steer clear of this relationship. If/when he makes steps to get healthier, you could rethink it, but if you are on a healthy path right now, I can't see anything good coming of hooking up with someone who is not interested in it. You can't save the world. Take care of you, first.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Honesty is the best policy. Tell him how you feel and from there.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    just break up \m/

^This
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would make it very clear to him that although you love hanging out and have lots in common, you are worried about his health. All sexiness aside, just the health risks he is facing makes him an iffy choice for your future. Maybe if he hears how much you really do like him, but that you're worried simply because of weight, he would choose to start losing weight with you. I sure would, if I faced losing someone because of it.

I'm glad you found someone awesome though, that is rare enough in itself!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just be honest with him about your lifestyle, and let him know that becoming fit and healthy is your priority and see how he acts.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    all joking aside, you're talking about dating someone.....not marrying, dating....there is a chance that something decent could come out of this.....so it really depends on if you're willing to take a chance or if you two can come to some kind of agreement.....just like any other relationship \m/
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    I agree with those who said to be honest with him upfront about how you feel. You will have to stay alert about what he wants to do and if it aligns with your goals of leading a healthy life style. If it doesn't then you will have to be strong to make a decision from there.

Good luck!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've been single for about 6 months and recently, an old acquaintance from high school told me I should really start talking to her friend, we will call him Jim. She says he is her best friend, that he is the sweetest guy ever and that alot of girls won't talk to them because they are shallow because he is a big boy but he treats the person he is with like a queen. Now generally, all the men I have dated have been "big boys" I prefer a bigger man. So I didn't really think anything of it, and who am I to judge? I weigh 308 lbs....

So I thought, what is there to lose and him and I started texting each other. Him and I have a TON of stuff in common and I can tell that he is a super sweet guy. (after dating complete @ssholes it was very refreshing) We became friends on facebook and he is not what I expected. He weighs I would guess around 500 lbs. He has a really cute face (haven't we all heard that one before, i feel ashamed for saying it), . I asked my friend from high school if he was trying to lose weight or get healthy and she said he was not and she was worried about his health.

I want to state that I am far from a superficial person, but I do worry about getting involved with him, especially at the point I am in my life, trying to get healthy and lose this weight. I feel like he might be hinder to my success. I know I must have self control and be around people that eat unhealthy things and still make the right choice, but it would definitely make it harder. Also, when I get to a healthy weight, I want to go out and do all the things I couldn't do, like roller coasters, and vacations and I want someone who can share that with me.

Another thing I thought of is that perhaps if him and I started talking more, he might see the changes I have made and want to get involved in trying to work out, but I know to not hold my breath. People have to make their own decision on when the right time is for them to make a change and get to where they want to be. But I would much rather date a heavy nice guy, than a mean skinny guy any day.

I need advice!

i doubt it would hinder you,, in fact you may MOTIVATE him to do something about his own weight!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    These forums never cease to amaze me.

I have literally seen dozens of threads where people swear black and blue that it is whats on the inside that counts, looks or weight aren't that important yada yada yada but despite this seemingly being a good guy with a great personality he is getting written off even without a single date. It seems what you eat is very. very important.

If I ever find myself morbidly obese and single I am writing off the possibility of getting my trouser snake charmed indefinitely!
  • pjstudev
    pjstudev Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Alli,

I can only speak for myself, but I can say that before I began to lose my weight and really take control of my life, I was a very unhappy person - miserable on the inside and outside. And to me, its not so much about his physical weight, it's what's happening on the inside to make him so unhappy. Being morbidly obese will create many health (physical and mentally) that he needs to address before getting into a relationship with someone.

And I agree with you, that you are on a track to better physical health and you need to continue that. And there is nothing wrong with aligning yourself with someone who is working to better themselves mentally and physical. Overall, the health issue is not about his physical appearance - it's about what's happening inside of him - and how that needs to be healthy before he seeks a relationship.
    Perry