Frustrated, confused and need help.

Options
I've started the 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels and I am about ready to give up. I became active on MFP 3 (4?) weeks ago at 207.4, went down to 201 by eating well, started working out 4 days ago and today I am back up to 207! I don't know if I am eating too much, too little, or just holding on to my 8 bottles of water that I drink daily. I'm ready to throw in the towel on exercise all together! I've been reading up on my BMR and it says I should be eating more, but I feel like such a pig eating what I already am eating. I'm not an active person, never have been, and it takes every ounce of determination that I have in me just to get that 20 min aerobic in. The walking I don't mind so much, but that's not really exercise to me. It is, but you know what I mean, I hope.

I have two older sisters, and I've always been the weight gainer. They both cry about their weight all the time, but seriously, they have always been sizes 5 & 7. Even at my lowest I could never be a size 7. I'm a lot like my mom as far as weight goes, but she has it stuck in her head that these HCG? drops and 500 cals a day are the way to go (she's also still overweight). I worry about her, but can't talk her out of it, and honestly it's screwing up my head having all these weight freaks around me and being the only one that actually eats.

I keep telling myself just to stick with it, it takes time, I didn't get here overnight. There is no way that eating under 1500 cals a day could have caused this gain... but like everyone else, I want see results. I've been measuring, and have lost a few inches, so that helps, but not like seeing that scale go down!

Is anyone else going through this? I could really use someone to chat with daily and help me figure all this out.

Replies

31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    I am not trying to be mean but, it seems like you are making up excuses for you to give up. Why do you care if you are the "weight gainer" in the family? Everyone is different. Stop making excuses and stick with it. Results take time. Get in the routine of doing everything you can to get healthy and stay active.

You can thank me later. :D
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so we can't give advice on your eating intake (good or bad). You need to find your TDEE (www.fitnessfrog.com) and then minus 20-25% from that. That is what you should be eating per day. You do not have to eat all your exercise calories back, but you should eat at least 1/2....your body is burning fuel and it needs more to continue to repair itself and increase your metabolism.

ADditionally you've recently added in a pretty strenuous exercise routine. Your body will retain water to repair muscles after a big workout. If you are not drinking ample amounts of water to flush your body and repair your muscles you are probably holding a few pounds of water weight!

Do not give up!! You started this journey for a reason - you need to stop, take a deep breath, refocus and continue on your path!! You CAN do it, but you have to believe!! Stop making excuses, make better choices and get up and move!!! Best of luck!!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    First, 4 weeks isn't nearly long enough to measure results.

Second, if you only started working out 4 days ago, you will see weight gain as your body adapts for the first week.

Third, what are you eating? How many calories are you giving yourself? How tall are you? You need to find the right caloric intake.

Fourth, Stop using the scale as your measuring stick, it will be your undoing. Focus on your plan(both exercise and diet) and do it religiously for 3 months, then weigh yourself if you must, and I bet if you did it correctly, you'll be happy with the results.

Last, stop making excuses about why you can't succeed and find reasons YOU MUST succeed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're losing inches... this is good! the scales will catch up!

keep at it!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert by any means, but a lot can throw off the numbers in the first few weeks! You could be gaining muscle, you could be retaining water (especially around that time of the month!) etc. etc. Even if you don't drop a ton of weight right away, eating right and exercise are things we should all be doing for the rest of our lives.

^ These are things I try to remember for myself, hope it helps!
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks. You guys are right. I guess I am making an excuse to give up exercise. I felt like I was doing really well before I started and to see the weight jump right back on after a few workouts is really discouraging. I was thinking maybe I should lose 20lbs by eating right and then incorporate working out into the mix.

I'm 5'9 and 207. My Lean Body Mass is 145. BMI is 30.1 and my BMR is 1784. I've (until today) been trying to stay under 1400 cal a day, but am going to up it to 1836 as of now. I'll open my diary for help.
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    Thanks. You guys are right. I guess I am making an excuse to give up exercise. I felt like I was doing really well before I started and to see the weight jump right back on after a few workouts is really discouraging. I was thinking maybe I should lose 20lbs by eating right and then incorporate working out into the mix.

I'm 5'9 and 207. My Lean Body Mass is 145. BMI is 30.1 and my BMR is 1784. I've (until today) been trying to stay under 1400 cal a day, but am going to up it to 1836 as of now. I'll open my diary for help.

Keep at it. If you need someone to talk to, let me know.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Definitely bump up to 1836. You'll feel better and have more energy for exercise.

I started at 230 and I'm down to 187 now (and I'm only 5'6"). I always felt like the "fat one" in the family - but you know what? Who cares? That has nothing to do with what I'm trying to do with my life now.

Keep at it, don't let yourself be held hostage by excuses.

And really, you have two choices: Lose weight and get fit OR stay fat. Time is going to pass either way, so you get to chose which path you take.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight while doing the 30 day shred (or any type of circuit training), then when you get off it for a week the weight drops off. I am pretty sure that your body retains water as your muscles heal.
    Trust me, I've lost 50 pounds in the past year doing circuit training, running, and riding my bike (, you're right, it takes a lot more work than just walking in my experience). I also ate between 1200 to 1500 calories a day - when I eat back my exercise calories I don't lose anything.

DO NOT give up!!! It is possible and it happens - with hard work and determination!
  • samlankford
    Options
    yup body retains water as it is healing those muscles!!! I am currently doing p90x2/asylum hybrid, eating 1700 calories a day... just trying to get the fluffy layer off...:bigsmile: keep it up!!!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Inches are way more important!!! There are some people that way 20lbs less than me and I'm glad I don't look like them!

Have you ever checked out this website: http://www.mybodygallery.com
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    so you wanna quit cause its gonna take more than a month?
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps read this not that long ago on MFP - :o))

This is from a weight loss motivation site that I love (how to look good naked-- http://www.nowloss.com/ ) -- hope these tips help you and me too

12 Ways to get motivated to lose weight

1. Keep on saying "So That"

Ask yourself "Why do I want to lose weight" and after you come up with a reason why… Just keep on saying SO THAT.

For example - Why Do you want to lose weight…

* I want to lose weight to look better SO THAT…
    * I can feel more confident about myself SO THAT…
    * I can be the best looking person at my high school reunion SO THAT…
    * I can see the surprised looks on the faces of my classmates SO THAT…
    * I may be able to go on a date with the person I had a crush on in high school

Can you see what's happening here?

The more times you say SO THAT = the more and more motivated you'll become to lose weight.

2. Play the "If I Do" and the "If I don't game"

To Play the "If I Do" and the "If I don't game" …

You're going to take 2 sheets of paper and on the top of 1 sheet of paper you're going to write…

"These are all the GOOD things that will start happening to me tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, or even 2,5, or 10 years from now
    IF I DO Take action now to lose weight" and…

Then you'll fill up that sheet with every single GOOD thing you can imagine that will happen in the near & distant future If You DO take action now to lose weight so for example - you'll probably write things like…

* I'll be proud of myself for at least trying to lose weight…
    * I will see that I've lost 2+ pounds by the end of the week…
    * In a month other people will begin to ask me if I've been losing weight…
    * In 2-to-5 months other people will tell me how much better I look…
    * I can eat anything I want and not worry about getting fat…
    * I'll be shopping for that new dress that'll accentuate my new hourglass figure…
    * I'll be sending my success story along with Before & After Pics here on NowLoss.com…
    * I'll be on TV talking about my amazing body transformation…
    * I'll be confident in myself and feel like I can do anything…
    * I'll be able to play with my kids without passing out…
    * I'll inspire other people to lose lots of weight like I did…
    * Next year I'll be helping other people lose weight so they can look like me…
    * My sex life will be re-ignited with my partner or…
    * In 1-to-2 years I'll be physically attractive (and irresistible) to any man or woman and…

On the top of the other sheet of paper - you'll write…

"These are all the bad things that will start happening to me tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, or even 2,5, or 10 years from now
    IF I DON'T Take action now to lose weight" and…

Then you'll fill up that sheet with every single BAD thing you can imagine that will happen in the near & distant future If You DON'T take action now to lose weight so for example - you'll probably write things like…

* I'll be depressed again for not even trying to lose weight…
    * My husband or wife will leave me…
    * I'll still be wearing all black clothes to make me look thin…
    * I'll still be scared to go out in public because of my weight…
    * My own kids will laugh at me and keep calling me fat…
    * Other people will call me fat behind my back…
    * I may die in 2, 5, or 10 years because of my weight….
    * Hardly no man or woman will ever find me physically attractive and…

Once you have filled out your IF I DO & If I DON'T sheets…

You want read these sheets every 3-to-5 days but… Every time you feel like giving up on your weight loss goals or dreams to Look Good Naked – Just take 10 minutes and read your IF I DO & If I DON'T sheets and I guarantee you…

* You'll be super motivated once again to lose weight and…
    * You WILL NOT think about quitting until you've reached your weight loss goal and…
    * You’ll most certainly find a way to lose weight no matter what! so…
    o Click here to print out your "IF I DO" sheet &…
    o Click Here to print out your "IF I DON'T" sheet & then…

STOP & take at least 30 minutes to fill up those sheets.

3. Make a bet with yourself

You can make a bet with yourself or other people to GUARANTEE that you will lose weight & Look Good naked and…

Here's some examples of bets you can make to make sure you will REALLY want to lose weight or else!…

* Go to your next door neighbor and tell him you will give him $5000 dollars if you don't lose 50 pounds in 10 months (Let your neighbor hold onto the money until the deadline) or…
    * Go to your job and tell everyone you work with that you will eat a HUGE can of DOG Food in front of everyone if you don't lose 10 pounds before a certain event and…

The more extreme the bet is or the more you have to lose = the greater chance you'll actually reach your weight loss goal and think about like this…

If there was a chance you could lose your house, your car and all your money if you did not lose 50 pounds in 10 months (which is a reasonable amount of time) then you'll probably end up losing 50 pounds in 7 months or less!

4. Make excuses to win & Don't make excuses to lose

STOP making lame excuses NOT to lose weight like…

* "I don't have time to lose weight" or…
    * "I hate the way these weight loss foods taste" or…
    * "I can't workout cause I get sweaty" because…

It's easy to make excuses to lose and be a loser (and a loser is someone who doesn’t even try) but…

It's also easy to make excuses to win and be a winner and a winner is someone who gets off their *kitten* and gives at least 1% so for example…

* If you don't have time – make time! because…
    * You always do a good job of making time to watch LOST, American Idol, Dancing with the stars or whatever TV show you waste your time on so…
    * Stop watching TV for a while (you can record your TV shows to watch later), get off the internet or whatever else takes away from your time to make you Lose weight and look good naked and…

Use that time to Look Good Naked and…

Even if you are a single parent with 8 kids and 3 jobs - That is sill not an excuse to give up and be a loser because…

I got a weight loss plan here and a quick 10 minute fat loss workout here you can still use to lose weight and If you still don't feel like working out or if have any other excuses…

Look at Tips #1 & #2 again and…

5. Let nothing stop You From losing weight!

What's stopping YOU right now at this very moment from losing weight and looking the best you can?

Write down everything that's stopping you from reaching your weight loss goals and then beside each thing that's stopping you… Make a plan to eliminate the problem so For example…

* You may write down "I don't have time to lose weight" and a solution to that problem would be just to make time by spending 30 minutes exercising instead of watching TV or…
    * You can exercise for 30 minutes while watching TV or…
    * You may write down "I eat too much & can't control my cravings" and a solution to that would be for you to read "11 ways to curb cravings" but…

DON'T EVER falsely believe that your genetics are keeping you from losing weight

Write down whatever's stopping you from losing weight and then STOP IT before it makes you even fatter and…

The only reason why you shouldn't lose weight is because you simply don't want to lose weight.

6. Set deadlines and then reward yourself

For example… If your big weight loss goal is to lose 100 pounds in 10 months… Then you can set 10 deadlines where you have to lose 10 pounds every month for the next 10 months so…

Let's say on the way to your big goal to lose 100 pounds in 10 months you actual lose 12 pounds in your 1st month… You can reward yourself by buying yourself a new dress or going out to a movie and please… DO NOT reward yourself by sabotaging your weight loss plan or diet by eating stuff that's going to put weight back on and remember this…

The greater the reward is you have planned for yourself the higher your motivation will be to lose weight

7. Set deadlines and then punish yourself

If you don't meet your deadlines you have to punish yourself - so for example…

Let's say you miss your deadline to lose 10 pounds a month by losing only 9 pounds… You have to punish yourself by not watching TV for a week or by not going shopping for a month and…

Along with the reward (see motivation tip #6 above) and the punishment for meeting and not meeting your deadlines…

You can be sure you'll stay highly motivated to lose weight or whatever else you set your mind to.

8. Post a Picture Everywhere

Post a picture of what you want to look like after you lose weight everywhere you can so If you were skinny in high school… Post your old high school pictures everywhere and if you always had a weight problem or if you don't have any pictures then…

9. Get a magazine and…

1. Look at the sexy body of the person on the cover.
    2. Get a picture of yourself and cut out just the face and make sure you're smiling in the picture.
    3. Take your smiling face & place it over the face of the person on the cover.
    4. Then I want you to do something crazy.
    5. Show the magazine cover to everyone you know & tthis is how you will lookell them this is how you're going to look real soon.
    6. If you're real crazy… Tell the person you have a crush on… This is what they'll miss out on in the future if they don't start going out with you now.
    7. And if anyone gives you that Yeah Right Look when you tell them… Use that as extra motivation to prove them wrong.
    8. Make copies of the magazine cover and post it everywhere in your house and make a special note under it saying…

"I will get a sexy body just like this cover model and when I do… I will laugh in the surprised faces of all the people who said I could never look like This"

10. Hang out with skinny people
    There's a saying that goes like this… "If you hang out with 9 broke people -- You'll probably end up being the 10th broke person but…

If you hang out with 9 rich people -- you'll probably end up being the 10th rich person and the same goes true for losing weight.

Hang out with just skinny people and you'll pick up on their habits for staying slim. You don't have to dump all of your overweight friends - you just shouldn't let their bad habits influence you.

11. Talk to your future self

Imagine how good you'll look in the next 1-to-6 months from now with all the good things that will happen to you from #1 & #2 above and Every time you feel like cheating on your diet, not working out or just giving up…

STOP & Ask your future self what he or she did to look good naked and I bet you they'll tell you…

* "It was many times when I felt like giving up but I didn't because I knew eventually I would look good naked" and they'll say…
    * "Even though I cheated sometimes - I didn't let those bad foods crush my dreams" and they'll say…
    * "Even though I hated working out - I hated this ugly fat even more" and…

If that doesn't work…

Imagine your future self out on a date with that man or woman you always wanted to be with and ask them those same questions and…

If that doesn't work…

Go back to #1 & #2 and imagine any other favorable situation where your future self can help you give 100% & never give up until you Look Good Naked and get all the good things from #1 & #2 above.

12. Remember the CBA's

* CONCEIVE YOURSELF LOSING WEIGHT…
    * BELIEVE YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT AND…
    * ACHIEVE THE GOAL OF LOSING WEIGHT .

"If you believe you can, you probably can. If you believe you won't, you most assuredly won't. Belief is the ignition switch that gets you off the launching pad." --Denis Waitley

"People are not lazy. They simply have impotent goals / that is, goals that do not inspire them." -Anthony Robbins-
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty normal if you've just started working out. Stick with and soon you'll see results.
  • gpteran
    Options
    I've been working out off and on again for over 30 years. Two years ago right before I learned I was going to be a grandpa I know I wanted very badly to get back into shape. I was at least 30 lbs over and on cholesterol meds too. When I stopped working out I and eating just the most unhealthiest meals I kept fooling myself that I was the weight I was because ________ FILL IN THE BLANKS.

It didn't matter what I filled the blank in with. What mattered was what did I want more badly RESULTS or EXCUSES. My son and I ordered P90X, thank God he pushed and encouraged me. I did one round didn't get the results I wanted. I wanted to look like those people in the infomercial! The second round I got serious and actually decided to follow the nutrition plan that came with the program. Dang!!! Eating right made such a difference. I finally got the results and have finished that second round last year, then followed it with RevAbs and currently I'm on Insanity! I'm loving the results even though I'm still not were I want to be and for some people that might be enough. Three years ago sitting down I could look down and sit this GUT! No anymore.

When I started P90X I knew it was a 90 day program but I didn't want to look at it as a 90 day program. I looked at it as a "FOR LIFE" program. Along with all the other programs and eating right. I'm here to be "The Best Fit Grandpa!" for my little Izzy and any future ones.

Yes! Don't give up... Look for RESULTS and leave the EXCUSES for everyone else!
    :)
  • mscollon
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP!!!! Keep going! It doesn't matter what the scale says anyways. What about changing your goals so that you are focusing on a weekly work out goal or identifying your weaknesses and try to battle them? Working out will give you the energy and change your metabolism. I am not sure about the calories increase or decrease, my only advice is that you need to analyze how you feel. If you only eat 1200-1400 calories do you feel good while working out? Are you getting enough sleep so your body has time to recover? Do you need to change the times you eat? Like every 2-3 hours instead of 3 times a day? I would recommend adding a meal replacement protein shake in there too, this will give you protein and vitamins to keep you full and give your body fuel. I use Isagenix and love it and have had amazing results and don't have to worry about the food part of losing weight. But seriously, keep going, you can do it! It is important to fight through the hard times. It is worth it! This is a journey to learn about yourself through the ups and downs, sticking with it will make you stronger.

Feel free to add me as a friend and have an amazing day!!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Your body isn't use to working out right? So your muscles are probably repairing themselves and retaining water. Don't give up...that would be down right stupid! If you give up won't you get heavier again anyway?
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    There is a saying I saw the other day that was quite interesting, it read:

"Being over weight is hard. Losing weight is hard. Choose your hard."

Either way, it's going to be hard...especially if you're doing Jillian!!! She is tough!! But if you stick with it you will see results. Lot's have gained in the first week, and then lost weight...and inches...so stick with it. Don't forget to take before and after pics, because as we all know the scale is not the end all.

You can do it!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

I've been at this for 3.5 months now. I've lost 11 pounds, but thanks to weight training, I look like I've lost more. I can go almost 3 weeks without seeing a difference and then BAM! I've lost a 1/2 and the next day another 1/2. It's weird, but it's working. As for calories, I am only 5' 0" tall and I eat at least 1400, more on days I exercise. My diary is open if you want to see what I eat. We cook most of our own food from lean meats, fresh fruits/veggies and complex carbs. I am not starving and I don't follow any kind of fad diet and I allow myself treats from time to time. Just healthy foods in healthy portions and exercise. You can do this, you just have to want to.

edited to add: ALSO, in addition to the 11 pounds, I've lost inches. I'm now wearing shirts I couldn't button a few months ago and I'm on the verge of dropping a pant size. I can take stairs without getting winded, paint my own toenails, tie my shoes comfortably and scratch the middle of my own back. The scale is not the end all be all of measuring success. It's actually the least useful tool. Stick to this and see for yourself all the little wonders it will do for you.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that in 30 Day Shred you do build muscle so you probably have shed fat and built muscle which would be why you have seen an up on the scale and decrease on the inches. Also when working muscles your body does hold onto water more to help repair your muscles. Don't give up.