Frustrated, confused and need help.

Options
2»

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    so you wanna quit cause its gonna take more than a month?
    ^This.

Been doing this three and a half years. Feel free to come talk to me when you're stalling out after that much time.

Also, water retention. It happens when you start working out after leading a sedentary lifestyle. You shouldn't be anywhere near a scale for the next two to three weeks.
  • tristahenry
    Options
    The other posters really said it but I'll reiterate because its so important. Focus less on the number and more on what you're able to do. Can you do one more push-up than when you started? Can you run an extra 2 minutes than when you started? Can you sit more comfortably in your jeans than when you started? Do you have more energy than when you started? Those are the things that are important to a healthy lifestyle. The numbers on the scale is what's important in diet. Do you want to live a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life or do you want to diet for the rest of your life?

Also, if you'd like people to make suggestions on tweaking your diet you may want to explain in your profile your personal system for tracking your food. I took a peek and I'm seeing lots of multiple entries of the same foods, one day 3 white potato entries and 2 sweet potato entries and category designations that don't make sense to me. I'm probably being dense but I don't understand.

And finally... keep in mind "that time of the month." I'll bounce up and down 10 pounds monthly regardless of exercise and diet. My mother always said, never make any major decisions a week before and a week after your period because you'll just end up regretting it... Momma knows best!
  • monastempletransformed
    Options
    KEEP PUSHING :wink:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    The greatest successes in life do not go the way of the river. Rather they are earned through determination and ascending the mountains.
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the support. I really needed to hear all of this. I know there are plenty of things I could be doing better, andI have made HUGE improvements in this last month - but I'm far from done. Suggestions are definitely welcome. As far as the diary goes, I do eat a lot of the same foods through one day. I prepare my food the night before, so lunch and dinner are typically the same meal/food. and my morning foods are always the same. I don't really "snack" (chips, chocolates, crackers) those foods tend to just make me more hungry. I've done medical weight loss in the past and lost the weight I'm now wearing again. I don't want to strip my diet down like they did. To maintain that level of clean eating is unrealistic for me. I would much prefer to focus on calories - while keeping the majority of my eating clean, I don't want to cut out everything. I need to learn how to eat normal every day food and recognize my caloric intake and keep it in mind.
    !
    so you wanna quit cause its gonna take more than a month?

No, no. Not at all. I am (was), thanks to all this awesome support) feeling defeated about working out - not eating/living healthy.
    !
    Have you ever checked out this website: http://www.mybodygallery.com

I will now. Thanks!
    !
    The greatest successes in life do not go the way of the river. Rather they are earned through determination and ascending the mountains.

So true! I need to hear this right now :)
    !
    Focus less on the number and more on what you're able to do.

Good point. I do see a difference in stamina just from the 3 days of JM. I'm going to keep at it. I measure and weigh myself after each work out. I need to stop weighing myself so much.
    !
    Also, water retention. It happens when you start working out after leading a sedentary lifestyle. You shouldn't be anywhere near a scale for the next two to three weeks.

Thanks. Advice noted. I'm really going to make an effort to stay off that scale and keep making improvements.
  • christinekry
    Options
    I've been working out off and on again for over 30 years. Two years ago right before I learned I was going to be a grandpa I know I wanted very badly to get back into shape. I was at least 30 lbs over and on cholesterol meds too. When I stopped working out I and eating just the most unhealthiest meals I kept fooling myself that I was the weight I was because ________ FILL IN THE BLANKS.

It didn't matter what I filled the blank in with. What mattered was what did I want more badly RESULTS or EXCUSES. My son and I ordered P90X, thank God he pushed and encouraged me. I did one round didn't get the results I wanted. I wanted to look like those people in the infomercial! The second round I got serious and actually decided to follow the nutrition plan that came with the program. Dang!!! Eating right made such a difference. I finally got the results and have finished that second round last year, then followed it with RevAbs and currently I'm on Insanity! I'm loving the results even though I'm still not were I want to be and for some people that might be enough. Three years ago sitting down I could look down and sit this GUT! No anymore.

When I started P90X I knew it was a 90 day program but I didn't want to look at it as a 90 day program. I looked at it as a "FOR LIFE" program. Along with all the other programs and eating right. I'm here to be "The Best Fit Grandpa!" for my little Izzy and any future ones.

Yes! Don't give up... Look for RESULTS and leave the EXCUSES for everyone else!
    :)

Wow! Impressive! Really, great job! I tried P90 last year - 2 days in I switched over to Jillian Michaels. That man moves way to fast for me. Thanks for sharing. This is the motivation I need to keep at it. I'm going in for day 4 tonight. I'm officially motivated.
  • christinekry
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP!!!! Keep going! It doesn't matter what the scale says anyways. What about changing your goals so that you are focusing on a weekly work out goal or identifying your weaknesses and try to battle them? Working out will give you the energy and change your metabolism. I am not sure about the calories increase or decrease, my only advice is that you need to analyze how you feel. If you only eat 1200-1400 calories do you feel good while working out? Are you getting enough sleep so your body has time to recover? Do you need to change the times you eat? Like every 2-3 hours instead of 3 times a day? I would recommend adding a meal replacement protein shake in there too, this will give you protein and vitamins to keep you full and give your body fuel. I use Isagenix and love it and have had amazing results and don't have to worry about the food part of losing weight. But seriously, keep going, you can do it! It is important to fight through the hard times. It is worth it! This is a journey to learn about yourself through the ups and downs, sticking with it will make you stronger.

Feel free to add me as a friend and have an amazing day!!

Thanks so much! A weekly goal seems reasonable. I really do feel full at 1400 cals, but I keep reading this "eat more, weigh less". I've been on and off a 1200 cal diet for a couple years and I think I've screwed myself all up. Maybe time really is all I need. I was really stoked to think that after a month there would be some type of results on that scale. Your ideas are helpful. I'll be looking into these.
  • christinekry
    Options
    There is a saying I saw the other day that was quite interesting, it read:

"Being over weight is hard. Losing weight is hard. Choose your hard."

Either way, it's going to be hard...especially if you're doing Jillian!!! She is tough!! But if you stick with it you will see results. Lot's have gained in the first week, and then lost weight...and inches...so stick with it. Don't forget to take before and after pics, because as we all know the scale is not the end all.

You can do it!!

I love that quote. It's true. Both are hard. You're right about the scale, also. Thank you :)
  • christinekry
    Options
    Thanks. You guys are right. I guess I am making an excuse to give up exercise. I felt like I was doing really well before I started and to see the weight jump right back on after a few workouts is really discouraging. I was thinking maybe I should lose 20lbs by eating right and then incorporate working out into the mix.

I'm 5'9 and 207. My Lean Body Mass is 145. BMI is 30.1 and my BMR is 1784. I've (until today) been trying to stay under 1400 cal a day, but am going to up it to 1836 as of now. I'll open my diary for help.

I've been at this for 3.5 months now. I've lost 11 pounds, but thanks to weight training, I look like I've lost more. I can go almost 3 weeks without seeing a difference and then BAM! I've lost a 1/2 and the next day another 1/2. It's weird, but it's working. As for calories, I am only 5' 0" tall and I eat at least 1400, more on days I exercise. My diary is open if you want to see what I eat. We cook most of our own food from lean meats, fresh fruits/veggies and complex carbs. I am not starving and I don't follow any kind of fad diet and I allow myself treats from time to time. Just healthy foods in healthy portions and exercise. You can do this, you just have to want to.

edited to add: ALSO, in addition to the 11 pounds, I've lost inches. I'm now wearing shirts I couldn't button a few months ago and I'm on the verge of dropping a pant size. I can take stairs without getting winded, paint my own toenails, tie my shoes comfortably and scratch the middle of my own back. The scale is not the end all be all of measuring success. It's actually the least useful tool. Stick to this and see for yourself all the little wonders it will do for you.

That's wonderful! You are an inspiration. I will check out your diary and see if I can learn from you. Thank you for sharing!
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    DONT give up....it will change if you are persistent. I just wrote about hanging on to the same weight for three days, so I can imagine your frustration. Change is a challenge....stay the course. Some hints: watch John Barban on tube (he destroyed some myths for me and it is free), keep drinking lots of watch so you don't retain weight, are you tracking every day? Don't let those around you influence your healthy decisions and keep posting because where you concentrate your efforts will manifest change.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me: "My body does not work like other people's bodies. It is what it is...I have to find what works for me."

I'm the only obese person in my family. The rest of them are "size one civilians" who've never had weight issues in their lives. I could eat green beans for the rest of my life and never get to the size they are.

Yes it's frustrating. I'm also the only one in my extended family (including my cousins) who had trouble conceiving. It seems like everybody could have kids just by looking at them, but NOOOOO, I had to have 2 doctors and 4 nurses in the room (doing the IVF) to conceive. BUT that's just the way it is. I had to do what I had to do to be able to conceive, and I have to do what I have to do to lose weight.

Realize that you and your sisters are on different path's. (And by the way, I agree with you - I am NOT a big fan of the HCG diet. I think 500 calories a day is WAY too few calories to be healthy. BUT if they think it's the way for them to go, then so be it. It is what it is.) My husband does the P90X and insantiy workouts - there's no way I can do that. SO, good for him, that's great that he can do that. That's SO not where I am. Even though we have the same goal (to get more healthy) our path's are vastly different aside from that we need to eat food.

Also - be very mindful of your "input". If it screws up your head to be around your sisters, then limit the time you spend with them. I know they're your sisters, but sometimes, distance is a good thing.

Nobody climbed Mt. Everest in a day; you aren't going to lose it all in a day, and you aren't in a race with anybody to get healthy faster than anyone else. Keep your focus on those things you need to do today to make tomorrow a better day.