Dear 16 year old me...

Options

Replies

• ergumm
    ergumm Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me.... You don't have to finish everything on your plate. When you don't feel well, it's not always because you need to eat something...It doesn't always make things better.

Learn to face your problem head on and don't stuff you feelings down with food!!! You are beautiful and you are worth it!!! If a man hits you...dump his *kitten* immediately!!!

Also...always hug mom and dad and tell them how much you love and appreciate them, because they won't be around forever!!! 52 Year old me misses them terribly!!!!
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 Year old me,

Put down the energy drinks, they didn't make you lose 5kg that week you were on antibiotics, you didn't eat that whole bloody week and the thrush was proof of that >.<

STOP hanging out with those a'holes you call your "friends" that guy that is like your brother and that you're best friends with and his girlfriend, yeah he's telling everybody behind your back that you're in some kind of relationship with him, and lock all the doors after you tell him to f off, he tries to break into the house 6 months later, and show's up the next day to try and sort everything out with you.

Reconcile with your auntie, I know you are so mad at her right now for leaving, but you realize in a year when you meet YOUR soul mate that she made the right choices, and you are proud of her for that! but by then it's too late, she moves to the other side of the state, and it's too awkward trying to make up with her. And be nicer to her fiance, he's a good guy! and really does treat you like his own kid, so stop trying to be rebellious.

When you finally do meet your soul mate, and believe me he is waiting for you, don't put ALL of your time into him and him only, make time for your best friend, you drift apart, when you finally do make time for her she's about to give birth, and don't be jealous of her! When you see just how amazing she is handling the whole thing, from pregnancy to taking care of your GOD-DAUGHTER you realize you couldn't handle it. she is so busy you can rarely get together. And don't be upset about her not being able to come to your wedding, she offered to come, from another state! She's in the really early stages of pregnancy at this point, and somewhere you know that.

Stop wasting the little bit of money you have on crap every fortnight! Put as much money as you can aside for a car eventually, and driving lessons! Keep that piece of paper where you wrote how long it should take for you to afford a decent car, you will need it in a couple of years, because the bus really sucks, and you get sick all the time because people have no idea how to sneeze into their sleeve.

Appreciate your mum more, everything going through your head, it's not true, and she has no idea what happened to you, she loves you so much, you ARE her baby, and when you finally get up the guts to tell her, she supports you 110%, cries with you, and tells you everything you needed to hear for so long.

I know life is tough right now, I know that everything that happened in school is still playing on your mind, and it doesn't help you are living next door to it, Forget about the people who hurt you, fast forward 3 1/2 years, and those people that were so sure they were better than you, are in living hell, they are all druggies, have now lost one or both parents, and have no future.

Stop trying so hard to impress the people that talk about you behind your back, stop wearing so much makeup, you've got gorgeous skin and avoid the puberty acne, Mascara never hurts though! and no more fake eyelashes you look ridiculous with them on.

Get into some sort of schooling program, I know you are scared to death of going back into a learning environment, but at 19 you have no real education past year 8 and your resume looks sad.

Stop eating doritos and coke at 3am in the morning as a wake up snack, it's a horrible habit you've got, in fact quit coke all together, because it really ruins your teeth and figure, and when doritos are absolutely needed buy a little fun sized bag, a family sized party bag is way too much for you,
    And stop eating whole bags of chips all together, when you've eaten that much salt and vinegar chips that you throw up that's not a good thing at all.

Most of all, just be patient, a lot of good stuff is coming your way soon, so enjoy the next and last year you are a single gal, make time for the people that are important to you and I promise the dark times are almost over <3 hold in there kid.

Love forever and always,
    Your 19 year old self.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me....
    Don't cut off that beautiful long hair....you'll regret it for a long time after.
    You are a healthy weight....I can see your ribs, you are not fat despite what your mother says.
    Keep up all that awesome exercise, go lift those weights even when your friends tell you you'll get muscles and that's not cool...coz yeah, toned is good.
    Keep riding, it keeps you super toned and supple. You're going to miss your horses.
    Go to school more often... training for ski racing is not an excuse for skipping school. Neither is hanging out in the the park when you should be in class. Those amazing people in your boarding school that have come from all over the world? Get to know them better - they worked hard to get their scholarships and could teach you a thing or two about appreciating how lucky you are to have what you do and be where you are.
    Sure you'll get into university anyway but you could make it a lot easier on yourself by doing the work now.
    Go kick *kitten* and do that ski patrol course.
    That 19 year old guy you're seeing? Yeah...he's going to be cause you a lot of heartache over the next 10 years, but hey you'll have a lot of fun too...your choice on that one.
    Figure out what it is you really want to do, push hard for it and don't let others tell you you can't do it. Believe in yourself and your talents. You'll find a way to make it work.
    Break the rules, you'll be surprised at who supports you.
    Travel - follow those dreams, ignore those who say you are too young.

Love, 37 year old me x
    P.S Wax your eyebrows, you have a Brooke Shields thing going on there sista ;-)
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me...

Just because you've passed your exams doesn't mean you can start slacking. stop trying to impress everyone and start being decisive...and good lord STOP WORRYING.
    You don't have to forgive him, you don't have to love him, but you need to move on and enjoy that single time alone...you'll be back together in 8months....and this time it's for four years and counting.

DON'T YOU DARE choose your A-level subjects based on your best friend, what you really want to do it Art, English and Psychology, if not History. Do it for yourself, because you'll get to now and regret not being yourself, or doing the EPQ and all those other clubs you could've joined. You'll regret not taking a risk and doing it on your own, or making the effort to make new friends.

Also - short ringlets DO NOT suit you !!
    ps. Start going to the gym and running now...HOW VERY DARE YOU STOP RUNNING, after all those years doing cross-country...If I could I'd whoop your *kitten* and continue doing it 4 Neighbourhoods down till you're doing it everyday.

but most importantly...don't forget to have fun, make the sorts of memories you'll want to tell your children and great grandchildren

Much loves sweetie, and you the *kitten* :wink:
  • Loisxyz
    Loisxyz Posts: 17
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me.
    A' levels are much harder than O' levels and you need to WORK to get good grades.
    You think you are fat but you ain't seen nothing yet! Enjoy being 8 stone and don't start eating too much just because the other people around you can get away with it.. you can't and it will become a habit.
    Oh, and by the way, you are probably allergic to wheat - cut it out.
    However hungry you are - don't smoke that cigarette, it may kill your apetite but you will be stuck with the terrible habit for 40 years and every time you try to give up you will put on two stone.
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old ....you think it's been **** so far??? It's going to get worse....and then even worse...and then...well, stay optimistic, it's probably going to get you through all those horrible times :(
  • Ravenfang
    Ravenfang Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me.

Get away from those people you call friends, you will thank me they will only stab you in the back. Apply yourself more to writing on that guitar and get as good as you can. When you are 22 you will be unable to play for almost 3 years due to an injury and miss the hell out of it. Don't end up unable to play like i have. listen to no one do what you have to do to be happy. The bullying wont stop but you will make it through and be all the better for it. Don't change for them be happy about who you are.

Finally look at what you are eating! Your lucky time machines don't exist cause I would kick your butt for all the crap you are putting in my body. and start exercising don't wait till you are 25 to start looking at yourself in the mirror. Don't blame the mirror its not contorted or broken! and the scale isn't lying to you either.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Hey younger me,

Everything works out, and it will be okay but there are a couple things you could do that would make life perfect

Firstly, you are not going to marry J or S - I know, you are so sure they are both the one, they aren't, they never grow up, NEVER, its 2013 and J still lives with his parents, run. S has a lego room and drinks himself to sleep now, RUN

Secondly, tell you parents that Mr. E raped you, I know its scary, I know its hard, I know you are freaking out - tell thim so he can go to prison and not end up hurting 3 more students next year. It gets easier to talk about it, you give speechs on it now in front of whole gyms full of students, you can do it I promise!

Thirdly, that rebound you go ona date with for Cinco De Mio, don't sleep with him on the 2nd date. He is more than a rebound, he ends up being the best thing that ever happened to you and telling your kids you met him after 15 tequila shots is a sucky story!

Lasty, go to hospital right now and get your eggs frozen, we dont have any kids yet and we keep trying. You will miscarry your son in 2013 and please let out the sadness, everyone arounds you understand and you have the best man in the world to hold you all together. I know we will have kids one day, no matter what we have to do okay little me, just soak up time with your family, Grandma P dies on your birthday this year and mom goes a little crazy for awhile, its okay.

ITS GONNA BE OKAY

- I love you-

P/S - You get like 4000 when you graduate - don't blow it - buy stock in Apple or buy gold :)
  • wldrose75
    wldrose75 Posts: 128
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

* Put down the damn cigarettes! If you don't, I'll still be struggling to do it 22 years from now.

* I know that whole self tattooing thing seems really cool right now, but trust me. It's not. You only date those guys for a short while, but their names tattooed on you will last forever.

* Stop worrying what other people think of you, and stop letting it rule what you think of yourself. Most of its in your head anyway. They're probably too concerned with their own problems to be thinking about you that much anyway. Believe me. You're normal.

* Don't care so much that you're not one of the popular girls, that you're not as pretty or as thin as you want to be. Most of those popular guys that you daydream about are now fat, bald d-bags and those popular girls that married them are miserable while you're engaged to a total hottie who's younger than you and the sweetest man you'll ever meet. He thinks you're beautiful, sexy and smart and fell in love with you because you make him laugh. (Yay, 38 year old me!) And you'll never guess where you meet him!

* Believe in yourself. There are some very tough times ahead, but they'll make you realize that you're stronger than you think you are. There are some very wonderful times ahead too, so don't over focus on the bad times. Life's got its ups and downs, but its definitely worth living.

* Start saving now for retirement so that I don't worry about dying at my desk some day because I can't ever afford to quit. :laugh:

Love, The older but much wiser me
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. :heart:
  • Dear 16 year old me,

You know he always liked her more than you, he didn't dump you because you told him that, or because you wouldn't sleep with him, or because you said blah blah when he was talking about his bike. Don't let the hurt turn into the depression you'll be battling on and off for a long time. It just wasn't right, but although it's the end of the romance (yes, it is the end) it's not the end of the story. You'll kiss a lot of frogs in the next 10 years or so (some unspeakably hot frogs too) but you're not going to truly get over him til you meet your unlikely soulmate who makes you appreciate just what love is. And even though you feel black inside, support your mum. You wont realise for a while how badly she's suffering, you both need each others support.

You're naturally talented and intelligent, DO NOT drift along being mediocre because you can. A bit more effort and drive will make a ton of difference in all areas of your life. And for god's sake do the German A-Level coursework instead of the written exam, cramming the night before on 13 cans of red bull is NOT a revision tactic, and the E in that drops you to a B overall and it's still bugging you 13 years later. Keep your options open while in uni, the volunteering you do will end up with you being happily self employed, but you need an exit strategy for having a family, and work experience in uni will REALLY help with that (with kids please). And don't stop swimming and gym. In 8 years time you'll find something you love and you'll achingly regret the loss of your fitness and flexibility.

You're going to be quite lucky in a lot of respects, life throws you a few deaths and illnesses and sad things, but you're still awesome... a bit mental, but awesome.

Love 29-year old me.

PS: YOU EAT VEGETABLES NOW!!!!!!! You freaking LIVE for courgettes and peas! And you'll eat FOUR SPROUTS last Christmas and think they're alright!
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me; get off your *kitten* and start taking care of yourself. Just because things may seem bad now doesn't mean that staying in that mindset will help you any. If I have learned anything from life putting yourself first is the most important thing to do. I let my problems consume me rather than doing anything about it. Also, STOP EATING JUNK FOOD. I cannot stress this enough; my mother would buy me oreos, chips, pop, anything I wanted. If I had just figured out my diet back when I was 16 I probably would not have the health problems I do as an adult.
  • QueenCat25
    QueenCat25 Posts: 130
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me.

Wax your eyebrows.

^^^This ^^^^ LOL
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Oh boy....this year is going to be really hard!
    You've got a lot of huge events coming your way but you are so strong you will be able to go thru them all....
    You're family will judge you because they're scared you will fail in life because you aren't following the "path" that you should have followed according to their standards. They won't understand how hard this will all be for you and the choices you are going to make.

Don't worry you will prove them wrong and by 22 you will already have climbed the "corporate ladder" and you'll continue to be successful...forgive them as they will never really recognize what you have achieved, they don't want to admit they were wrong.

I know it sucks but this year you will mature much faster than your high school friends by the end of this year they won't understand you anymore and will leave you, please don't let this scar you in having difficultly making friends after...

You know that really cute guy that you've been friends with for a couple of years well believe it or not it's gonna get serious! Don't be stupid and insecure he is the one and he will make you happy forever!!!

You really are a beautiful girl, you may not get much attention from boys it's because they are intimidated by you and trust me they do like you most of them just don't have the guts to tell you please don't let your self esteem fall because of it.

You cannot live on cigarettes, ravioli and coffee....it would be better if you realize this sooner rather than later also when you quit smoking you should really try to exercise you will regret it later! and please start eating breakfast and then 3 meals a day...you need it.

I know you won't follow my advice as you are a teenager after all! lol but don't worry you'll be just fine
    Love..
    Yourself.
  • MsGoblin
    MsGoblin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year-old me,

Not everyone is going to like you, so stop trying to make it happen. It's okay. Own your beauty and sexuality. Create and observe strong boundaries.

Don't answer that personal ad in your 20s. Trust me, he's a piece of *kitten* and having to go to court for an order of protection to get him out of your life is no way to spend time with your Dad.

Not everyone is judging you. Stop thinking so.

Be kinder to yourself.

Love,
    Me
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'd tell myself, you are so skinny! The border between underweight and normal weight is not a good goal, and you look great. But you'd feel much better and stronger if you got some regular exercise.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It is hard to look like and 8 year old when you are in highschool but Don't waste any attention on all those people who tease you. Enjoy a super-long childhood because you will grow until you are 21. And the next person who thinks it is fun to pick your 50 lb self up - kick them - hard - where it hurts. Finally remember - looking 10 years younger than your age is hard as a kid, but fantastic when you are 50! :bigsmile:
  • lilyhel
    lilyhel Posts: 77
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me

Your metabolism is not going to be good forever, believe me, so try gradually stop eating that much... Also, learn to like exercising, you will reeeeealy need this in the future... Try jogging in the morning, stop running away from gym classes...
  • iFreebaseBacon
    iFreebaseBacon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 Year Old Me,

- GO AWAY TO COLLEGE
    - You are truly beautiful exactly how you are right now. Take the time to appreciate who you are and enjoy the people around you.
    - Laugh more.
    - Don't take yourself so seriously.
    - You are not fat. One day you will look back at yourself and wish you had realized how beautiful you really are.
    - GO AWAY TO COLLEGE. Seriously. Run.
  • andieellengreen
    andieellengreen Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me....

Carry on with the excersize, just because you have left school and therefore dont HAVE to do so much excersize a week dosent mean you shouldn't.

Dont give up dance, you loved it and it kept you so fit!

Dont experiment with new foods... thats why you get fat, stick to the same old boring healthy things you used to eat!