Gym club memberships in January

Options

Replies

• RubyRed8067
    Options
    It'll gear up big time in January! But it only lasts for a couple of months, then it's back to normal.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I guess it’s easy to forget when you were once one of those dreadful people. Hey…or maybe you were lucky enough to get it right the first time out the gate. Congrats!

Not everyone starts in January.... :huh:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    there is a surge of 'resolutioners' at the gym in jan/feb.... BUT I belong to a large gym, and never have to worry about this. try going in off peak hours. :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    In my gym it last about 3 weeks. I am very thankful for those who pay for gym but don't go. They make my membership affordable.
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    not to mention the increase of seeing people do really stupid things in the gym. last year i watched some lady fall through the elliptical because she got the idea to go backwards on it by standing backwards. i guess she didnt realize she could go backwards just by changing the direction of her foot motion

You could have won some $ on AFHV if you'd have caught that.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I guess it’s easy to forget when you were once one of those dreadful people. Hey…or maybe you were lucky enough to get it right the first time out the gate. Congrats!

Oh I don't forget! I'm asking the question because as of the last few months, I AM new. I'm not sure what to expect in January or if I should allow extra time for waiting, etc.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I am not excited about all the lazy slackers that will be signing up in January.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I take back what I was posting.

Yes -- the gym will fill up. Some will stick around, others won't. Shoot for off-hours to avoid the rush.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym. I would say it usually lasts about a month at most!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I use the first week of January to take a break from the gym

^^This is my plan.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I use the first week of January to take a break from the gym

^^This is my plan.

Got it--sounds like going at off-hours or maybe doing some other activities for a while might be a more efficient way to get in a workout. Like everyone else I'm sure, it's hard enough to carve out 60 minutes a day due to work and other obligations. Thanks!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Wait until it starts here as well.
    We will be bombarded with HCG thread shut-downs.
    The 'have you tried the (insert food here) dieters.
    Way more of the 'OMG you guys are so mean on MFP' hair flippers.
    And more Loose vs Lose threads than you could imagine possible.
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    I cannot believe how self-righteous this bunch is… you don’t lose 100, 105, 130 pounds without bumping your head a few times or annoying the professional gym rats. On your way to 100lbs overweight you never failed at a new years resolution?? Get over yourselves….

Getting fit and losing weight was never my New Year's resolution, why wait until January to start getting fit?
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    my gym has a cardio equipment and they have an indoor track but there wasnt a lot of new people last year so i dont expect there will be a lot of new folks this year.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you can, go early. The noobs don't like to get out of bed to work out.

Lasted about a month at my gym, and even then, really was a mild wave of them, not a huge hoard. They mostly annoyed me by taking up all the good locker spaces.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    LOL - This is why as a "noob" to the gym, I just joined at the beginning of this month.
    No way did I want to be lumped in with resolutionists.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It becomes the first of the month if that reference makes sense. It only last until about mid-February or early March and then all the wanna be's lose interest.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    When you all sit down at the table Thursday, y'all might want to take the time to be thankful for all the new-years-resolutioners who basically subsidize your gym membership 50 weeks out of the year. Let them have the first 2.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how self-righteous this bunch is… you don’t lose 100, 105, 130 pounds without bumping your head a few times or annoying the professional gym rats. On your way to 100lbs overweight you never failed at a new years resolution?? Get over yourselves….

A 2007 study by Richard Wisemen from the involving 3,000 people showed that 88% of those who set New Year resolutions fail, despite the fact that 52% of the study's participants were confident of success at the beginning. That means there is a very slim chance anyone commenting on this was one of those people who started this for a new year thing.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Mmmm fresh meat! :glasses: Just stare and lick your lips. You will get all the room you need. :drinker: