Gym club memberships in January

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    When you all sit down at the table Thursday, y'all might want to take the time to be thankful for all the new-years-resolutioners who basically subsidize your gym membership 50 weeks out of the year. Let them have the first 2.

^^^Lol..you definitely have a point!!! Still it's annoying when you get to the gym all revved up for your work out and then come to a screeching halt because you have to wait for a tread or equipment. It will all be over by February though.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how self-righteous this bunch is… you don’t lose 100, 105, 130 pounds without bumping your head a few times or annoying the professional gym rats. On your way to 100lbs overweight you never failed at a new years resolution?? Get over yourselves….

A 2007 study by Richard Wisemen from the involving 3,000 people showed that 88% of those who set New Year resolutions fail, despite the fact that 52% of the study's participants were confident of success at the beginning. That means there is a very slim chance anyone commenting on this was one of those people who started this for a new year thing.

Yep its unfortunate but it is usually the ones waiting for a certain date or waiting for motivation or waiting for.....whatever that are just not ready to make it happen. Good luck to all of them but the sad truth is the majority wont be back after the DOMS heal from the first workout.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how self-righteous this bunch is… you don’t lose 100, 105, 130 pounds without bumping your head a few times or annoying the professional gym rats. On your way to 100lbs overweight you never failed at a new years resolution?? Get over yourselves….

You're over reacting to a light banter thread :noway: Sorry, we're human. The gym is super crowded in January and it's annoying to wait 20 minutes for a treadmill. Have you ever gotten impatient waiting in line??? Jeeshhhh talk about self-righteous!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Mmmm fresh meat! :glasses: Just stare and lick your lips. You will get all the room you need. :drinker:

I usually set aside January to smash some new PRs. I'm thinking squats in the 300 pound range should keep them at bay.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that if you laugh at them during their first visit there is a 89% chance they wont return. you can clear them out pretty quick.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I worked at a large gym for six years so I saw the January rush every year. While the classes were packed to the brim, there was always a machine available if you were willing to A)change up which cardio to do if it's busy last minute and B)share the weights between sets. Then everybody wins. It took three months for it to slow to "normal" check in rates.

This is the first year I've not worked there, but I'm a member. I've only been working out for 2.5 months, but I know it's going to get busier. I plan on going after class, or later in the eveening than I usual do. A minor inconvenience.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I guess it’s easy to forget when you were once one of those dreadful people. Hey…or maybe you were lucky enough to get it right the first time out the gate. Congrats!

I was just going to say the same thing....

I'm planning on joining a new gym that offers PT with the membership, but my current membership won't be cancelled till end of December.... I hate the idea of showing up and being pegged as an obnoxious and annoying n00b by all you folks just because it's January. Nice.

Maybe if you were less judgmental and tried to encourage or mentor someone who's just starting out, they would stick around and get better. :P
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I guess it’s easy to forget when you were once one of those dreadful people. Hey…or maybe you were lucky enough to get it right the first time out the gate. Congrats!

I didnt join as a new yrs resolution and not in January.....
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I started MFP as a New Year's resolution. But that was two years ago. Here is the deal - I agree with some of the people here who commented and said that there is no wrong time to start getting fit. I made a conscious decision to preempt the holidays by rejoining the gym in October so that I could get fit BEFORE the food pushers can get to me. AND I will not allow myself to quit going to the gym. I publicly committed to the gym membership in front of my whole office and I dont want to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing me commit to it and then quit and waste the cost of the gym membership.

Paying for a gym and not going is like burning your money so you won't be tempted to spend it.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

Well actually I dont fail at my new years resolutions because I do not make them. I make goals that I can achieve, through the year, not just over one night. Pot meet kettle.....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Look who is self-righteous.
    People here are just complaining about crowds.

I go to the gym to get a work out - today was super busy but the place was electric, everyone was busy and moving around and it was easy to get to everything even though it was packed. Yesterday the place was empty but had "gym rats" hogging the benches. Bad sluggish crowds? Ugh, no thanks.

I love the gym, when I can't work out. Said no one, ever.

I'm thankful I don't live in a "resolution" land.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Grin and bear it, we all do. It's not too long and they all get bored or something. (They are funny to watch in the mean time)

I usually go after 8pm because Kids Klub closes at 8 pm and those who go right after work are gone by then. Monday and Tuesdays are the worst, but it's doable. Just don't get side tracked.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gym for almost 5 years, it starts to clear up within 3 weeks and most of the noobs are gone by mid-february. Not a fan of the New Year's rush but you just learn to deal with it. But hey, if your gym is large enough, you may not need to worry about lines for the treadmills. I'm thrilled to death people are taking the opportunity to jump on a healthy lifestyle but does everybody have to start all at the same time?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Mmmm fresh meat! :glasses: Just stare and lick your lips. You will get all the room you need. :drinker:

can-i-get-your-number_o_GIFSoupcom.gif
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

My gym is pretty small, thanks for reminding me! :laugh:

Might have to try this... :bigsmile:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

LOL works every time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    :laugh: @ being self righteously being called self-righteous.

honestly my main issue with the resolution crowd is that it's very clear that a good segment of them don't want to be there (and will even say so during their workout). that burns me up because they are clearly taking space or a machine that someone who actually legitimately wants to be there can use.

i get that every body pays their fee and once they do they have a legitimate right to be in the gym, it just really annoys me when you have to wait on a treadmill because 2 people are walking 2 miles an hour talking about how much they don't want to workout, how they only joined because it was a free 3 month special at work, etc. i've definitely seen those type conversations at the gym and normally i dont give a crap UNLESS it effects my time at the gym

and i'm totally fine with helping people, i just prefer to wait until the wheat has been separated from the chaff. besides them, i will help remind them that there's no weight minion at the gym and that they need to re-rack their own weights when they are done :laugh:
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    Thankfully I dont have to deal with this (private gym).

I am honestly curious though, how long does this "resolution rush" last typically? 1 month? 2?
    I hate the beginning year as well the "resolution Rush " last well into March where I live! Los Angeles.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It will be crazy. Get used to it now.
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Maybe January will be a good time to do 30DS as home...