Jumping Rope

Options
Any benefits to jumping with an actual rope vs. jumping with a make-believe rope?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    So, you want to jump up and down? I would think you would want the actual rope itself there since part of it is the rhythm of the rope going around, as well as the movement of your upper body to keep the rope moving while you jump. Personally, I'd probably never be able to replicate the speed and intensity of jumping rope without all of the pieces there

But the do also sell ropeless jump ropes, which are basically just handles and some short bits of rope hanging from them to help you have the rhythm of moving your arms, but it still wouldn't have to match up with what your feet are doing like with an actual jump rope, so it still seems odd to me.

Though, something is better than nothing, so if you prefer to do it without the rope and that's what will get you moving, then definitely go for it. :)
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hahah. I just don't want to be seen jumping rope :blushing:

Indoors and ropeless seemed to be a good solution.
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Any benefits to jumping with an actual rope vs. jumping with a make-believe rope?

YES!

Its harder, so you work harder, so you lose more weight.
  • axelorate
    Options

YES!

Its harder, so you work harder, so you lose more weight.

Simple answer. I like it. Thanks!
  • gofuku
    gofuku Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I purchased a jump rope today for 6.99 at the local sports store. When I got home I did a little browsing and found a site with some jump rope work outs in it and figured I would jump straight to the intermediate. Well that did not work out, jumping rope is very intensive and I will need to work my way up.

If you do not want to jump rope then just do jumping jacks.

Here is a link to the site I found,

http://myjumpropeworkout.com/

*Edit to remove the assertion that make believe rope is nonsensical.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    Jumping rope is one of the best cardio exercises there is. You can find books on just this form of exercise out there. When I did the program "Escape Your Shape" it was the cardio. Trust me your legs will get so lean!!
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I swear my skipping rope beats me up more than what my brother did. I really want to get back into it.
  • axelorate
    Options
    Well that did not work out, jumping rope is very intensive and I will need to work my way up.

If you do not want to jump rope then just do jumping jacks, a make believe rope is nonsense.

Ah, one of the reasons I don't want to jump anywhere but my own living room. I'd be mortified if someone saw me flushed and gasping for air after 45 seconds.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I use a weighted jumprope which does some great work on your arms simultaneously :-)
  • axelorate
    Options
    I use a weighted jumprope which does some great work on your arms simultaneously :-)

Girl, you crazy!
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For me, I liked jumping without a rope better - pretty much the same motion without as with. When I tried it with a rope, however, I couldn't go very long because I'm very uncoordinated and kept getting my feet tangled, which meant lots of frustration and a very mediocre workout because I had to keep stopping and starting! Just me two cents! Chime with the poster above who said it's intensive - I couldn't only go for maybe 10 minutes at first and boy was I sore the next day!!!!!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Wow, more power to you. Jumping rope is fantastic exercise. Who cares if you are sweaty and gasping after 45 seconds. Keep doing it and soon enough you will go for 20 min without gasping once.

Jumping rope is one of my favorite memories of childhood.
    When I was 20 something I used to jump rope in my basement while I waited for the washer or dryer to finish running.
  • gofuku
    gofuku Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For the first time out I would say that 45 seconds would be a pretty good run. I tried doing one minute sets with one min between sets and it kicked my *kitten*.

We should make this the jump rope thread.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    A lot more coordination required jumping with an actual rope, also it gets upper body muscles into it if the rope has some weight to it.
  • axelorate
    Options

We should make this the jump rope thread.

I think we should just start a menacing jump rope gang.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I used to love jumping rope when I was a kid and now I work in an Elementary School and cannot help but jumping in when I see this kids on the playground. But oy-vay my boobs do not like it at all. The other day I was showing some of the kids double dutch and it deffinitely upped my playground cred but the "girls" were achey for the rest of the day.
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    jumping rope is more fun
  • FatSlayer1016
    FatSlayer1016 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is awesome! I take a class that starts with five minutes of rope. I did it barefoot my first day because I was told everyone trains barefoot. I had blisters on both my big toes after five minutes, and the next day I could barely walk because my calves hurt so bad! I wear shoes now and five minutes is beginning to get easier. I agree with some people though that the rope can trip me up and ruin a good streak :(
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I've started jumping rope a couple of times a week. More than that and I find my knees hurt. I really enjoy it, though. It's an intense workout.

Does anyone know whether a fatigue mat or padded mat would help my knees feel better?
  • axelorate
    Options
    I've started jumping rope a couple of times a week. More than that and I find my knees hurt. I really enjoy it, though. It's an intense workout.

Does anyone know whether a fatigue mat or padded mat would help my knees feel better?

Boom: http://www.livestrong.com/article/516572-how-to-jump-rope-without-side-effects-to-joints/