Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Let me make sure I have this right. You'd be embarrassed to be seen jumping rope because you fear you may not have the stamina or coordination, but you *wouldn't* be embarrassed to be seen jumping a PRETEND rope? Girl, you crazy.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Hahah. I just don't want to be seen jumping rope :blushing:

You don't mind being seen jumping rope without a rope?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've started jumping rope a couple of times a week. More than that and I find my knees hurt. I really enjoy it, though. It's an intense workout.

Does anyone know whether a fatigue mat or padded mat would help my knees feel better?

Yes, a pad would help. But it sounds like you may also want to check your form, as you may be jumping too high or landing too hard. Come down softly and stay on the balls of your feet.

I bought a 3x4 mat that is usually used to place under an exercise bike or stepper. I take that with me when I'm going to jump outside on concrete. It makes things easier on both the rope and my joints.

http://amzn.com/B000F6R35Y
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Let me make sure I have this right. You'd be embarrassed to be seen jumping rope because you fear you may not have the stamina or coordination, but you *wouldn't* be embarrassed to be seen jumping a PRETEND rope? Girl, you crazy.

No one can see me when I'm alone jumping around in my living room :]
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    why would you care if people seen u tired after 45 seconds? are u afraid of people seeing you tired on a tredmill or lifting weights? id say jump rope it will help alot especially if you do it between you weight sets so you keep your heart rate in the fat burn zone
  • nyemu
    nyemu Posts: 43
    Options

No one can see me when I'm alone jumping around in my living room :]

If it's any consolation I feel you. I jogged on the spot in my room for years because I was too shy to hit the road! Just do it! You'd be amazed at what you are capable of.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I use a weighted jumprope which does some great work on your arms simultaneously :-)

Booooyahhhhh! So do I. What a workout with the weighted rope. Love every minute of it even though it kicks my butt!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I love jump rope to! I can just about do 5 minutes of double jumps, ie with both feet together! I go onto my patio and jump, sod the neighbours! At least I'm doing something!!! My daughter sometimes joins me she's 11!

Just work up to it, the first time I jump roped again after having kids I nearly pee'd myself (possibly TMI!)
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Google Jump Snap. I went and bought this and I can jump to my heart's content, in my own house without tripping over a stupid rope or worry about ceiling limits. You actually burn MORE calories with steady, continuous jumping than you do when you stumble and have to readjust the rope all the time. I LOVE JUMP SNAP. Comes with a dvd as well. Great stuff and nobody will think you're "crazy"! :wink:

ETA: The handles also have 3 itty bitty weights in them, so it's up to you whether or not you want to use them. I never bothered to remove mine and it gives your arms a great burn.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Google Jump Snap. I went and bought this and I can jump to my heart's content, in my own house without tripping over a stupid rope or worry about ceiling limits. You actually burn MORE calories with steady, continuous jumping than you do when you stumble and have to readjust the rope all the time. I LOVE JUMP SNAP. Comes with a dvd as well. Great stuff and nobody will think you're "crazy"! :wink:

ETA: The handles also have 3 itty bitty weights in them, so it's up to you whether or not you want to use them. I never bothered to remove mine and it gives your arms a great burn.

Seriously, guys, google this. It's Dr. Oz's favorite.... and the info video had me in stitches.
  • gofuku
    gofuku Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Day after and my arms are killing me! I was not expecting them to be sore but they are, definitely going to start out with like 20 second reps.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, a pad would help. But it sounds like you may also want to check your form, as you may be jumping too high or landing too hard. Come down softly and stay on the balls of your feet.

I bought a 3x4 mat that is usually used to place under an exercise bike or stepper. I take that with me when I'm going to jump outside on concrete. It makes things easier on both the rope and my joints.

http://amzn.com/B000F6R35Y

Thank you! I'll pay more attention to my form. I am jumping on concrete and may be coming down too hard. That's a helpful hint.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use a weighted jumprope which does some great work on your arms simultaneously :-)

Booooyahhhhh! So do I. What a workout with the weighted rope. Love every minute of it even though it kicks my butt!

I just got a weighted rope - I need to use it now!
  • torrini
    torrini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did 150 jumps yesterday and now my calves are killing me! This is some serious workout right here :D
  • gofuku
    gofuku Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    From the site I linked to earlier:

1) Warm up – brisk walk for 2-3 minutes
    2)Jump rope – 20 to 30 seconds
    3)Rest for 1 minute

Repeat nos. 1 to 3 five times.

Repeat nos. 1 to 3 five times.

Workout must be done 3 times each week, adding 10-15 seconds of jumping per week

I have been doing this every other day, am up to 35 seconds per rep. Except I have been skipping the rest step.
  • Catman_Jellytot
    Catman_Jellytot Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just bought myself a rope (£1.49... bargain!)

Just did about 80 jumps and already out of breath!

Deffinately going to keep at it though. Easy and inexpensive way to get fit.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I can jog longer than I can jump rope. I have only done the "invisible jump rope" when I do Jillian Michaels Shred videos. This just peaked my interest. Jumping jacks are good too!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I can jog longer than I can jump rope. I have only done the "invisible jump rope" when I do Jillian Michaels Shred videos. This just peaked my interest. Jumping jacks are good too!

Of course you can. Jumping rope is significantly higher in intensity, to be compared with sprinting, not jogging.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

We should make this the jump rope thread.

I think we should just start a menacing jump rope gang.

I think exercising without a jump rope is fine, but to have a menacing jump rope gang, you really need the jump rope. No one will take you seriously as a gang if you don't