The 1200 Calorie Myth

Options
I know what I'm going to say is controversial since this site seems to think that 1200 calories is a healthy way to live.

It's not. Put it into any search bar and you will find some kind of scientific statement saying that this kind of diet is the BARE MINIMUM the body can handle in order to survive. Sure, this kind of deficit in calories will cause weight loss. But calories are not a bad thing -- calories are just units to measure energy. The bad thing is fat. The bad thing is excessive carbs. Consequently, they all have a significant amount of energy to them, or calories.

Eating 1200 calories will make you lose weight at a noticeable pace. It is important to remember that eventually, your body will realize it isn't getting enough. The metabolism starts to slow, causing a plateau. The answer is not to work yourself harder or eat even less or the combination of the two. The answer is to eat more and work harder.

It's just a little disturbing how I'm finding a lot of people who are relying on solely what the big number means. You could eat 2000 calories of veggies and proper protein a day and lose weight. Whatever the case, I urge those who think a successful diet is based on your caloric intake to eat a little more and exercise a little more. It's just healthier.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    This site does a good job if you use it honestly and don't try to be too aggressive when setting your weight-loss Goal here. Keep this in mind when using the tools to set up your goals:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

The problem is most people have no idea what a healthy rate of weight loss is.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1,700 or so, so I do not lose weight eating 2,000, I maintain and slowly start to gain
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm going to say is controversial since this site seems to think that 1200 calories is a healthy way to live.

It's not. Put it into any search bar and you will find some kind of scientific statement saying that this kind of diet is the BARE MINIMUM the body can handle in order to survive. Sure, this kind of deficit in calories will cause weight loss. But calories are not a bad thing -- calories are just units to measure energy. The bad thing is fat. The bad thing is excessive carbs. Consequently, they all have a significant amount of energy to them, or calories.

Eating 1200 calories will make you lose weight at a noticeable pace. It is important to remember that eventually, your body will realize it isn't getting enough. The metabolism starts to slow, causing a plateau. The answer is not to work yourself harder or eat even less or the combination of the two. The answer is to eat more and work harder.

It's just a little disturbing how I'm finding a lot of people who are relying on solely what the big number means. You could eat 2000 calories of veggies and proper protein a day and lose weight. Whatever the case, I urge those who think a successful diet is based on your caloric intake to eat a little more and exercise a little more. It's just healthier.

So much wrong in one post, see bolded
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    inb4 CaliforniaGirl
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry OP but this sounds like the same kind of illogical psuedo science that a crazy coworker of mine was trying to get me to understand.

although i do agree that 1200 is much too low for most people. i disagree with the statement that the bad things are excessive carbs and fats. also the idea that you can eat XX amount of calories of proteins and veggies and still lose weight.

my coworker's idea is that you can eat as many calories as you want as long as it' healthy stuff. she didnt seem to understand that consistently eating over your TDEE is what makes people gain weight, no matter how healthy the food i. i think sumo wrestlers are a good example of that. those guys eat a crap load of healthy food but because it's so much of it they can weight
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It's just a little disturbing how I'm finding a lot of people who are relying on solely what the big number means. You could eat 2000 calories of veggies and proper protein a day and lose weight.

Weight loss is all about the big number. All about a deficit. You can eat twinkies all day and as long as you are eating less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. If a person has a TDEE of 1600, then they would gain weight eating 2000 calories, even if its of veggies.

ETA: Ofcourse for proper nutrition, do not eat twinkies all day!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    is it just me or is it the people who tell you how to lose weight are over weight themselves or have never been over weight in there lives
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are quite a few myths in the OP. the big number is very important, though most serious people here also are firm proponents of healthy, clean eating. How many calories an individual needs is highly variable, depending on size and energy expenditure. For example, at 5'1", 107 pounds and age 57, my calorie needs aren't very high. That makes me exceedingly careful to make sure that I get good nutrition packed into every meal. And where did the idea come from that carbs and fat are bad? My asparagus sautéed in butter would beg to differ.
  • Rodhands
    Options
    The bad thing is fat.

Check my diary over the past 3 months, and check the weight loss in that time

tell me that fats are bad

There is NOTHING wrong with Fats, that is just what we have been conditioned to believe is the case. Simple fact is any of the three key macros can be bad for you if you are eating to excess, but that then just leads back to if you are eating to excess your calorie number will be >TDEE
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options

Fat isn't a bad thing, LDL is but you need HDLs to maintain a healthy body.
    If your metabolism slows down, why does intermittent fasting work so well do reduce body fat?
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight, is helps but you can drop body fat without it.
  • BIGGMIXX1
    Options
    I JUST STARTED USING THIS SIGHT, JUST TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT I TAKE IN DURING THE DAY, IF I AM HUNGRY, I EAT, I HAVE A LOT OF WEIGHT TO LOSE, BUT ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT THIS SIGHT IS ANYTHING BUT A DIARY TO REMIND YOU WHERE YOU ARE IS WRONG. NO ONE KNOWS YOUR BODY BETTER THAN YOU, USE THE SIGHT AS A REMINDER, AND A JOURNAL, BUT NOT AS A GUIDE. THE ONLY GUIDE IS YOUR OWN ACTIONS, AND YOUR OWN PERFORMANCES. THE MORE YOU WORK, AND THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING, THE MORE YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH. 1200 CALORIES MAY BE FOR SOME PEOPLE, BUT EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What a complete load of garbage. If you eat a low fat or low carb diet but still somehoe manage to consume more calories than your body burns you will gain weight.
  • Thokiz
    Thokiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Put it into any search bar

Did I happen to mention I'm a French model?

Bonjourno
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Aww, the 1200 cal threads are my favorite threads, right behind the "starvation mode" threads. Has there ever been a fat person die of starvation and still be fat???

Edit: still be "skinny fat" LOL
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    "The bad thing is fat. The bad thing is excessive carbs."

Oh boy! :noway: This advice is just as bad as the 1200 calorie advice.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Aww, the 1200 cal threads are my favorite threads, right behind the "starvation mode" threads. Has there ever been a fat person die of starvation and still be fat???

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    inb4 CaliforniaGirl

That's my line!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options

So much wrong in one post, see bolded

Quoted for emphasis
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    inb4 CaliforniaGirl
    :laugh:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It's the people setting their goals which is the problem. The site makes calculations according to their info..