The 1200 Calorie Myth

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This site does a good job if you use it honestly and don't try to be too aggressive when setting your weight-loss Goal here. Keep this in mind when using the tools to set up your goals:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

The problem is most people have no idea what a healthy rate of weight loss is.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

This is more helpful than what the OP posted IMO. Fats, and carbs are not the devil.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    But calories are not a bad thing -- calories are just units to measure energy.

Yes, calories are a unit of energy. And body fat is how your body stores energy for later, no matter if it comes from carbs, protein, or fat.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 1, therefore several inches below average. I cannot therefore eat an average calorie intake without gaining weight. I must eat proportionately to my height, to lose, gain or maintain. When I exercise, I burn fewer calories for the same time, speed, distance as someone taller than me.
    When people say things like 1200 is the bare minimum the body can survive on, just what kind of body are they referring to?
    If I were tall, I'd be told that 1200 wasn't meant to be taken literally and my base line number would be higher than that. Does it not make sense that 1200 is also too high a baseline for very short people? Why is everyone so fixated on the magic 1200 number?
  • chrishg
    chrishg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm going to say is controversial since this site seems to think that 1200 calories is a healthy way to live.

It's not. Put it into any search bar and you will find some kind of scientific statement saying that this kind of diet is the BARE MINIMUM the body can handle in order to survive. Sure, this kind of deficit in calories will cause weight loss. But calories are not a bad thing -- calories are just units to measure energy. The bad thing is fat. The bad thing is excessive carbs. Consequently, they all have a significant amount of energy to them, or calories.

Eating 1200 calories will make you lose weight at a noticeable pace. It is important to remember that eventually, your body will realize it isn't getting enough. The metabolism starts to slow, causing a plateau. The answer is not to work yourself harder or eat even less or the combination of the two. The answer is to eat more and work harder.

It's just a little disturbing how I'm finding a lot of people who are relying on solely what the big number means. You could eat 2000 calories of veggies and proper protein a day and lose weight. Whatever the case, I urge those who think a successful diet is based on your caloric intake to eat a little more and exercise a little more. It's just healthier.

Losing 4 pounds does not make someone a health and fitness expert! Yet again we have another post based on someones imagined pseudoscence rather than hard established peer reviewed fact! I'm actually surprised that I can respond to this thread however, as I usually eat below the BARE MINIMUM these days so should be dead?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    And why should we believe you over peer reviewed scientific studies that suggest differently?

This site does not suggest 1200 calories is a 'healthy way to live', but it CAN be a healthy way to lose weight.

1200 is an entirely arbitrary number chosen as one that if you have a good balance of food in there you should get the majority of micro nutrients you need as an average person.
    From 'typing it in to a search bar', that seems to be the reasoning behind it.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I know what I'm going to say is controversial since this site seems to think that 1200 calories is a healthy way to live.

It's not. Put it into any search bar and you will find some kind of scientific statement saying that this kind of diet is the BARE MINIMUM the body can handle in order to survive. Sure, this kind of deficit in calories will cause weight loss. But calories are not a bad thing -- calories are just units to measure energy. The bad thing is fat. The bad thing is excessive carbs. Consequently, they all have a significant amount of energy to them, or calories.

Eating 1200 calories will make you lose weight at a noticeable pace. It is important to remember that eventually, your body will realize it isn't getting enough. The metabolism starts to slow, causing a plateau. The answer is not to work yourself harder or eat even less or the combination of the two. The answer is to eat more and work harder.

It's just a little disturbing how I'm finding a lot of people who are relying on solely what the big number means. You could eat 2000 calories of veggies and proper protein a day and lose weight. Whatever the case, I urge those who think a successful diet is based on your caloric intake to eat a little more and exercise a little more. It's just healthier.

Losing 4 pounds does not make someone a health and fitness expert! Yet again we have another post based on someones imagined pseudoscence rather than hard established peer reviewed fact! I'm actually surprised that I can respond to this thread however, as I usually eat below the BARE MINIMUM these days so should be dead?

You're a zombie now. You'd be better off losing weight by just cutting off an arm.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

You're a zombie now. You'd be better off losing weight by just cutting off an arm.
    I don't know....I hear brains are low in fat and carbs and high in protein. He may be ok....lol
  • topgals
    topgals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started on 1200 calories & lost few pounds, then maintained for few weeks & so on, increased to 1500 & I now lose one pound a week :-)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I found that when I was put at 1200 calories, I thought I was full and it was working for me, but I found myself binging almost every night. Could I survive? Sure. Was it healthy? Not at all. I upped my calories to 1600 and haven't binged for a month. I see that as victory.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This site does a good job if you use it honestly and don't try to be too aggressive when setting your weight-loss Goal here. Keep this in mind when using the tools to set up your goals:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

The problem is most people have no idea what a healthy rate of weight loss is.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

THIS ^^

And the fact that this site is set up so you ate those base calories PLUS more to fuel your exercise. So an average person eating 1,200 and doing a reasonable amount of exercise of perhaps 200-300 a day is eating 1,400-1,500. If they are using the tool properly.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i think you just have to do what works for you. i found i was very hungry on 1200 calories, i immediately stepped it up to 1400-1600 and then i felt like i was actually getting full. my tdee is 1900 so now if i'm trying to cut weight, i eat 1600. it all depends on the person. shorter people do need less, so if you're 4'11 or so and not very active, 1200 could work. but for me i just feel hungry. i am 5'4" 129 lb... i dont' start to gain until i consistently net over 1900.
  • Jo5ie
    Jo5ie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    is it just me or is it the people who tell you how to lose weight are over weight themselves or have never been over weight in there lives

Completely agree! The lectures I have had to listen to from people telling me I train too hard, eat too little, like they are experts and they are literally twice my size!!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    i think you just have to do what works for you. i found i was very hungry on 1200 calories, i immediately stepped it up to 1400-1600 and then i felt like i was actually getting full. my tdee is 1900 so now if i'm trying to cut weight, i eat 1600. it all depends on the person. shorter people do need less, so if you're 4'11 or so and not very active, 1200 could work. but for me i just feel hungry. i am 5'4" 129 lb... i dont' start to gain until i consistently net over 1900.

I'm 5'0 and I lose at 1600.
    I know other girls my height that lose at 2000. We have a whole group for it.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Pandora's box is all I am gonna say :glasses:
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie goal made me kinda weak... After i changed my calorie goal to 1400, i got better results, also the macros too matters... =P

If a person never does any exercises/workouts and is sedentary always, then 1200 calories works for them. =)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Pandora's box is all I am gonna say :glasses:

Hmmm, Adrian Mole fan huh?

(Very obscure reference for non-British readers not of a certain age)
  • keelyjrs
    keelyjrs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I signed up and this site set me up for a 1200 Cal plan, but having read up a bit and also thought about how I feel on that amount, I have changed to 1500. According to the calculations I should still lose weight but I think I'll be more comfortable and less likely to crave and binge

I think fats and carbs are good in moderation, just like everything else really
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So calorie needs are the same for a 6' tall man and a 5' tall woman?

And for the record, my mother eats a healthier diet than anyone I know and she managed to become obese. How? She ate TOO MANY CALORIES of healthy food.
  • puddy29
    Options
    what does TDEE stand for
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    wow... what a bunch of BS

pinocchio.jpg