Want to build muscle, not lose weight. More protein?

Options
13»

Replies

• Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thats the thing. You are at a low body fat %, of course you're not going to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. Did you not read anything that I have said? Or did you not read the entire page by Scooby? It seems like you are advanced, so no, for YOU losing fat and gaining muscle would most likely be impossible. While someone like me, or the OP, or the average person, who is nowhere near their genetic limits, CAN lose fat while gaining muscle. It will be slow, but slow is healthy.

I have read what you have said. So using your methods I can bulk up to 25% body fat and then gain muscle as I cut? Mate, think about what you are saying. The muscle you will gain if any whilst doing what you suggest is TINY. Insignificant. Honestly, my job is to coach people and get them into stage shape. If I could bulk them as I cut them down, I would. Heck some of the guys I coach use chemical assistance, even then it DOES NOT HAPPEN.

That is nowhere near what I said. I suggest you go back and read what I have said, and not what you THINK I said. Read some of Scooby's articles, and also https://www.google.com/search?q=gain+muscle+lose+fat+same+time&aq=1&oq=gain+muscle+lost+fat&aqs=chrome.2.57j0l3j62l2.5705&sugexp=chrome,mod=6&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=gain+muscle+lose+fat+same+time&hl=en&tbo=d&ei=KcKwUKbbB-ryyAHWqYGoCg&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=ff999713c9217bd7&bpcl=38897761&biw=1280&bih=923

Good article by you BTW, great for people with low bodyfat% looking to go lower.

Proof is there, you just need to find it. If you don't want to read it... don't argue what you don't want to research. :)

You haven't researched ANYTHING. You've quoted a guy that doesn't have any nutritional/medical/professional training.

And then you post a link to google search.

Honestly, you may find a tiny bit of body recomp when your first start training but it is NOT sustainable. Maybe, 2-3 months worth. You will not build muscle in the way you want nor expect. Really.

Carry on spinning your wheels if you like tho. I'll carry on what I do, you do the same.

Good luck!

EDIT
    Just noticed you've been training 2 months and you are debating muscle gains and fat losses. Clearly in 2 months you've learned a hell of a lot, rendering the last 7 years body building and decade of training I've done, useless. :frown:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3519021&d=1310193169

From the source:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141780961&page=1

So yes, you can lose fat AND gain muscle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thats the thing. You are at a low body fat %, of course you're not going to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. Did you not read anything that I have said? Or did you not read the entire page by Scooby? It seems like you are advanced, so no, for YOU losing fat and gaining muscle would most likely be impossible. While someone like me, or the OP, or the average person, who is nowhere near their genetic limits, CAN lose fat while gaining muscle. It will be slow, but slow is healthy.

I have read what you have said. So using your methods I can bulk up to 25% body fat and then gain muscle as I cut? Mate, think about what you are saying. The muscle you will gain if any whilst doing what you suggest is TINY. Insignificant. Honestly, my job is to coach people and get them into stage shape. If I could bulk them as I cut them down, I would. Heck some of the guys I coach use chemical assistance, even then it DOES NOT HAPPEN.

That is nowhere near what I said. I suggest you go back and read what I have said, and not what you THINK I said. Read some of Scooby's articles, and also https://www.google.com/search?q=gain+muscle+lose+fat+same+time&aq=1&oq=gain+muscle+lost+fat&aqs=chrome.2.57j0l3j62l2.5705&sugexp=chrome,mod=6&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=gain+muscle+lose+fat+same+time&hl=en&tbo=d&ei=KcKwUKbbB-ryyAHWqYGoCg&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=ff999713c9217bd7&bpcl=38897761&biw=1280&bih=923

Good article by you BTW, great for people with low bodyfat% looking to go lower.

Proof is there, you just need to find it. If you don't want to read it... don't argue what you don't want to research. :)

You haven't researched ANYTHING. You've quoted a guy that doesn't have any nutritional/medical/professional training.

Honestly, you may find a tiny bit of body recomp when your first start training but it is NOT sustainable. Maybe, 2-3 months worth. You will not build muscle in the way you want nor expect. Really.

Carry on spinning your wheels if you like tho. I'll carry on what I do, you do the same.

Good luck!

EDIT
    Just noticed you've been training 2 months and you are debating muscle gains and fat losses. Clearly in 2 months you've learned a hell of a lot, rendering the last 7 years body building and decade of training I've done, useless. :frown:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1310193169

From the source:

No, no you cannot. The link does not work (for me at least) but you do realize that a bb.com forum is not 'proof' of anything don't you?

Did you read the link provided earlier or just search for something that would support your incorrect claim?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You can cling to your ignorance or learn something. bb.com is the worlds greatest source of broscience. Believe what you want and good luck with that.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Good luck!

EDIT

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3519021&d=1310193169

From the source:

Lol, funny. I was thinking "He's just come straight from the BB.com forums".
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Bro-science o'clock.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Doesn't A. Aragon talk about "culking" as an alternative to the typical bulking / cutting cycle? Not trying to throw oil on the fire but it is something I am certainly interested in. I'm currently following a slow recomp and weight loss (< 1/2 per week) coming from a high BF and this is working for me, or so I think. I might be "spinning my wheels", but I think I'll stick to this through 2012.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Doesn't A. Aragon talk about "culking" as an alternative to the typical bulking / cutting cycle? Not trying to throw oil on the fire but it is something I am certainly interested in. I'm currently following a slow recomp and weight loss (< 1/2 per week) coming from a high BF and this is working for me, or so I think. I might be "spinning my wheels", but I think I'll stick to this through 2012.

You can gain muscle basically doing calorie cycling. The thing is - you are not at a deficit all the time. You eat at a surplus on lifting days and at a deficit on rest days. So the days you are gaining muscle are surplus days. It is possible this way but it is a long slow process.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    tries to prove point... cites scooby... notsureifsrs. :noway:
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my last marathon my trainer had me eat one gram of protein for every pound I weighed to build muscle and not lose weight. I only weigh 95 so it wasn't that bad, but it was a challenge. I was maintaining 1400 calories a day. I ate chicken breasts, Quest nutrition bars and Met-rx shakes. It worked.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my last marathon my trainer had me eat one gram of protein for every pound I weighed to build muscle and not lose weight. I only weigh 95 so it wasn't that bad, but it was a challenge. I was maintaining 1400 calories a day. I ate chicken breasts, Quest nutrition bars and Met-rx shakes. It worked.

Would love to see a series of photos showing this magic process seeing someone gain muscle as they cut.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Look at my profile photos. Look at how I look. Can you not grasp I have a good hold on diet and muscle?

I write up blogs for Gaspari and my background is coaching and nutrition. In fact, I'm about to embark on a degree in nutrition. I coach people to the finals of the feds in which they compete in bodybuilding, bikini, classic and physique classes but no, BB.com and its utter crap info is correct. I can see I'm wasting my time here.

If you genuinely want some help mate, drop me a message and will get you sorted out and give you a diet to clear your fat and then carb cycle you up to build some muscle. Not here to make enemies, just help.

Ciao!
  • Larence
    Larence Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @ Matt_Wild.. You supplied alot of information that can be backed up. Not sure why some havent pulled out a pen and paper and start taking notes. Its all about shutting up and listening to what others have to offer. Free knowledge.