For those who have to work Thanksgiving

Options
13»

Replies

• TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'll be working Turkey Day and I like it.
    Holiday pay and no bosses around = a happy employee.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    at first I was scheduled off on Thanksgiving .. but then they changed it ..
    now I am working 2:30pm - 11:30 pm Thursday then go back Friday 5am - 2pm
    I am a cashier at walmart .. so I have no choice

Thought that legally there had to be 8 hours in between a close-open shift??? Sorry! Hope no one gets trampled this year!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'll be working Turkey Day and I like it.
    Holiday pay and no bosses around = a happy employee.

I work alone every single day. It is SO f'n boring.
  • CaseyAllyssa
    CaseyAllyssa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work at a pharmacy, and the only day we're allowed to close is Christmas day. I'm working Thanksgiving, and I can't say I mind it. We have shortened shifts, so no one person works all day, and to be honest, it's just really hard to say no to time and a half. It'll give my next check a nice little boost, just in time for Christmas shopping.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My day job is in accounting- that of course I am off of. But the gym where I teach, needed subs, so I jumped on that a month ago- I teach at 9:30 and again at 11:00. I am looking forward to it, especially because it will force me to get 2 killer workouts in- and no way am I willing to sabotage that hard work! :)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I volunteer to work every single holiday.

Why?

I'm single. I have no children. I take the time so I get paid time and a half, and so those who HAVE families can spend the holiday with those families.

To me the holidays are just another day. Nothing special at all to them. So why shouldn't I take that shift?

It doesn't really suck. I don't mind at all. :)
  • buckeyegirl6973
    buckeyegirl6973 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    fyi...being a cashier? by walmarts policy..you have to have 8 hrs..between shifts..look it up..they can get in trouble for that.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the people who keep things running over the holiday, especially those of you providing emergency services!
  • buckeyegirl6973
    buckeyegirl6973 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    at first I was scheduled off on Thanksgiving .. but then they changed it ..
    now I am working 2:30pm - 11:30 pm Thursday then go back Friday 5am - 2pm
    I am a cashier at walmart .. so I have no choice

Thought that legally there had to be 8 hours in between a close-open shift??? Sorry! Hope no one gets trampled this year!
    yes...there is suppose to be 8 hrs between shifts...it is in walmarts policy!.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I volunteer to work every single holiday.

Why?

I'm single. I have no children. I take the time so I get paid time and a half, and so those who HAVE families can spend the holiday with those families.

To me the holidays are just another day. Nothing special at all to them. So why shouldn't I take that shift?

It doesn't really suck. I don't mind at all. :)

This is really great and I like your attitude. I volunteered to work christmas this year just for that reason (sans time and a half). The only reason I'm off tomorrow is because Thursday is my normal day off and no one cared either way.
  • angelicarubi
    angelicarubi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Last year I had to work every holiday, but this year I work for the government so I get all holidays off. While last year I complained about having to work I realized that there are plenty of people that would give anything to be able to have a job, and I doubt they would complain about working holidays so I am just blessed I have a job and that this year I dont have to work holidays.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I don't work anymore by choice but I did work at Walmart like 5 years ago just for the x-mas season to earn a little extra money for presents. I was in electronics during black Friday... Holy moly that was amusing.

I agree. Thank you to all the police, firemen and people in the medical field!! Also Happy Thanksgiving to all of our armed forces who cant make it home!!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Last year I had to work every holiday, but this year I work for the government so I get all holidays off. While last year I complained about having to work I realized that there are plenty of people that would give anything to be able to have a job, and I doubt they would complain about working holidays so I am just blessed I have a job and that this year I dont have to work holidays.

Absolutely. I'm not trying to negate any one person's hardships, but I want the people that do work hard during the holidays to know they're appreciated. (At least by me and probably not that crazy b!tch punching a grandmother over a toy!)
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I don't work anymore by choice but I did work at Walmart like 5 years ago just for the x-mas season to earn a little extra money for presents. I was in electronics during black Friday... Holy moly that was amusing.

I agree. Thank you to all the police, firemen and people in the medical field!! Also Happy Thanksgiving to all of our armed forces who cant make it home!!

I was just talking about this to my employee today. I said that a tv that is $30 off regular price is NOT worth going out into all those crazies. Second, the after christmas sales are WAY better, people just don't like to wait.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I am thankfull that i work for a company where I get every fedial holiday there is!

However, for the people working at walmart..I feel for you. I did that for two years. NEVER AGAIN!

Wait, walmart won't hire me ever again to begin with.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I am thankfull that i work for a company where I get every fedial holiday there is!

However, for the people working at walmart..I feel for you. I did that for two years. NEVER AGAIN!

Wait, walmart won't hire me ever again to begin with.

I hope there's an epic tale there, LOL