coffee...?

Replies

• I suggest using milk, soy milk, coconut milk, or almond milk in place of creamer. Then, you can buy sugar-free syrups to put it in the coffee along with it. It'll probably taste even better.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Some form of milk is better but honestly that cup or cups of coffee isn't the major source of a weight problem. Personally, I like cream and sugar in my coffee but in moderation. I don't skimp on my coffee and it hasn't slowed me down on this journey.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    drink it black like us cool kids do
  • ChristinaG100
    ChristinaG100 Posts: 41 Member
    I've never taken sugar in my coffee but used to take cream (half and half) than once in a while doing low carb would use real cream. I've since switched to black but read that adding whipping cream to your coffee (real cream not sweetened) lowers your blood sugar levels and they did studies showing people lost weight doing it. I'm still skeptical so I only add cream when I'm treating myself or on vacation. But maybe if YOU tried real cream and a flavored nonsugar sweetener the combo might work???
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    I switched to skim milk and 1 packet of Equal. I can also drink it black (having a cup that way now) but in the morning straight up is a little bit too much of a jolt. :laugh: When I want the flavored creamer I will have it, but I don't make it a habit at all. I changed my life 6 months ago and have had the flavored creamer 4 times since then, while at functions away from home where the cup of jo is smaller and not my daily 16 oz upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, LOVED my flavored creamer but I had to decide if those calories were worth it. Plus, the first 2 weeks of my change I had NO sugar, no sugar substitute other than that packet for my coffee - so the creamer was definately out for two weeks. I don't miss it now so when I do allow myself the treat, I find I use even less because it is almost too sweet at the amounts I would normall add..
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    go black! (you'll never go back :wink: )
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    try the coffee mate sugar free versions. i am having sf peppermint mocha right now and it's 2 grams. They also have a good pumpkin spice during the holidays. Stock up though when you find sugar free ones you like.
  • I do the flavored ground coffee then use half and half, so I still get that yummy flavor. You can also sprinkle some ground cinnamon in your coffee grounds before brewing to give your coffee a cinnamon flavor
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    I had the same issue...so I swiched to land o lakes 1/2&1/2...2-3 drops of pure vanilla, a shake or 2 of pumpkin pie spice and splenda to sweeten...I don't miss my International delight any more.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I use unsweetened Blue Diamond "Breeze" Almond Coconut blend milk. It's only got 2 grams of carbs for a whole cup and I only use a couple Tbsp per mug. Great flavor! The sweetened version has only 7 grams of carbs for a whole cup.
  • MadameMoustache
    MadameMoustache Posts: 54 Member
    I use Original unsweetened Silk Almond milk. 30 calories or one cup!
    When I want a coffee treat, I use 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or maple extract) and I use 1 stevia packet as sweetener.
    But I know you can buy vegan creamers (in the soy milk section), but I have no idea how many calories and carbs there's in because I don't use them.
    When I need cream in my recipes, i use soy cream (Belsoy brand). Far less fat and calories it taste just as the real thing (even straight from the container on berries, yum!)
  • Colleen118
    International Delight Hersheys Chocolate and Caramel creamer- 2 Tbsp. is 70 calories.... when it comes to my morning coffee there will be no skimping. Oh on top of the creamer I add 2 spoonfuls of Domino pure cane sugar..... Lost a few pounds drinking this every morning over the last 3 1/2 years...

NICE JOB!!! GO YOU! I just have to say you have made quite the transformation! Congratulations! And me from 6 months ago is totally screaming at me "SEE!!! Could have kept the creamer!" - but I honestly don't miss it when I do. I know I will enjoy some things more often in maintanence but I really don't miss sugary things the way I thought I would so don't expect them to make a significant return to my menu.
  • sorry, but I will not SKIMP on my coffee, I have never done anything different with my coffee and I still reached goal weight! Save calories on something else! :)
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    I used to drink all my cal/carbs/sugar also. I found Caf'e al Fresco at Walmart/Dollar Tree the only thing it has in it is 15mg of sodium. I still use 1 tsp of sf creamer with it.
  • Colleen118
    Use an All-Fat Creamer in Your Coffee.
    ZERO CARBS! =)

me, im not a coffee drinker by definition. i dont drink it to jump start my day. caffeine doesnt have a stimulant effect on me. but i have been drinking it lately. if i have it- i prefer to drink it with 1 T. heavy cream.

this information supports this choice:

Millions of women think they’re doing the right thing by using skim milk or fat-free creamer in their coffee, but these dairy products can actually cause weight gain by spiking insulin. Go for full-fat cream instead since dairy fat contains CLA-conjugated linoleic acid, which has been linked to a decrease in stored body fat.

There are some studies that have seen women lose 2-4 pounds a week by making this small change, which also helps prevent afternoon energy dips. Put 2 tablespoons of all-fat cream in your coffee and you’ll actually lower your chance of gaining weight over the course of the year.

REALLY?! Now this is good stuff. I'm one of those switched to skim... food for thought. And again I find myself LOVING MFP!
  • Use an All-Fat Creamer in Your Coffee.
    ZERO CARBS! =)

Um, WRONG! Full fat cream is still dairy and, as such, has carbs. The only only only type of dairy that DOESN'T have carbs would be the fake dairy stuff.
  • I use Silk Vanilly Light soy milk and cinnamon- cinnamon boosts metabolism!!

OMG this sounds so good! I drink my coffee black (splurging on the quality of the coffee, rather than the additives) but I HAVE to try this!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I'm with the straight milk crowd. I drink 1% so it still has some fat in it, and it's enough to make my coffee taste a little more creamy.
  • Almond milk :heart:

mixed with truvia.

Or learn to drink it black like me :laugh:
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    The morning coffee is too important to play with. Cut a couple of carbs at lunch and enjoy your morning coffee.