Building muscle without weights question..

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Yup, body weight exercises. The problem with just doing them is that as you get stronger usually the only way UP is MORE, which leads to over use injuries. If you get a body weight routine make sure to get one that includes a lot of change ups so you are not do doing the same things every day. There are some great ones out there.

This is also an excellent comment. What she says here is one of the reasons the program I used was designed for so few reps, and changing the exercises to be more difficult instead.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    no

^this
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of bodyweight training. This was my workout this morning.

http://youtu.be/DWvZtWiqUDI
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    no

^this

You seriously think you can't build muscle without using weights??
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    no

^this

They're playing a game.

Ignore them. It's what I do.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    no

^this

They're playing a game.

Gotcha.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    no

^this

They're playing a game.

:angry:
  • burakbegen
    Options
    P90X is a great investment, it feels very hard at the beginning but if you continue pushing yourself you can great amazing results without weights.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    no

^this

They're playing a game.

LOL this made me laugh..

But yeah...I agree with the body weight exercises.

I also have the issue as the user talking about RA...I'm starting to get symptoms of RA (tested positive for it, my mother has it) and I struggle with squats....I can do a few sets...but then I can't do them for days til the pain in my knees go away._
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I Pole and have built quite a bit of muscle since I started. Resistance bands are also great to have and are very inexpensive.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yoga... Ashtanga/Vinyasa
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    no

^this

They're playing a game.

^this
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    no

^this

They're playing a game.

^this

heh
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    For a beginner body-weight exercises are as good as any gym as long as your putting tension on the muscles. The problems come in when you reach past the point where your body-weight is not longer providing overload. Legs and back can be a problem area since they are already used to carrying the majority of your body around and doing all the heavy lifting.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Okay, since someone has to ask...

My knees are knackered from rheumatoid arthritis. I have tried, and tried, and tried to figure out a way to do squats that doesn't cause excruciating pain, but haven't found one. The problem is, that's all anyone tells me to do. :( And it doesn't matter how much they fix my form, it hurts. Pain is not weakness leaving the body. Pain is pain. Pain is further damage to sensitive tissue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for at-home work that covers the same muscle groups that does NOT require that I hyperextend my knees repeatedly? I know I may have to do MORE exercises to get the same effect, but still...

Open to suggestions...

=Betty=

Have you tried doing straight leg lifts? Lie on your back with one knee bent and that foot flat on the floor. Slowly raise the other leg about 6-8 inches off the floor, and then slowly lower it. Depending upon how challenging it is, do alternating sets of 10-15 reps. You can also do this with ankle weights for additional resistance. You will be working your quads, but putting very little stress on the knee because you are keeping your leg straight. You can also do side leg raises while lying on your side.

Swimming or water aerobics is also a great form of exercise for people with arthritis.
  • kiachu
    Options
    Also, don't fall in the trap of confusing being lean and having muscle mass. Especially if your feel the need to compare yourself to anyone here or out and about.

People can look muscular (and bigger) only because they have gotten leaner. Especially in pictures. You see them in person you'd want to give them a hamburger

People can also look muscular (and bigger) because they are carrying a lot of bodyfat over any muscle and if they were to diet down egos would deflate.

And regardless of your routine if your not significantly overweight already your not going to be building anything if your dieting.

Good Luck!
  • kiachu
    Options
    Okay, since someone has to ask...

My knees are knackered from rheumatoid arthritis. I have tried, and tried, and tried to figure out a way to do squats that doesn't cause excruciating pain, but haven't found one. The problem is, that's all anyone tells me to do. :( And it doesn't matter how much they fix my form, it hurts. Pain is not weakness leaving the body. Pain is pain. Pain is further damage to sensitive tissue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for at-home work that covers the same muscle groups that does NOT require that I hyperextend my knees repeatedly? I know I may have to do MORE exercises to get the same effect, but still...

Open to suggestions...

=Betty=

Not sure about your flexibility, range of motion, or what not. But my knees are FUBAR and I started doing A** to Grass squats or full squats and it totally took all pressure off my knees. No more pain, no more buckling, nothing.

The problem is that the quadriceps and hamstrings are what cause the bending and lengthening motions of your legs so to work them you have to mimic their purpose movements with added tension. Maybe stiff legged deadlifts (at least for hamstrings) or use a band and do adductions and abductions. Hitting the quads is the hard part. When I was in rehab they used to make me basically push on stuff without bending my knees. So my legs would be straight but I would push up on the leg extension pad or against the PTs hand trying to push my leg down.
  • Chandler480
    Options
    I'll share a website which actually brought me back to MyFP:

www.scoobysworkshop.com

Excellent motivational website which is completely free and helped me get back on path of making a life change for the better. Completely free including tons of videos on how to just do body exercises at home without gym memberships etc.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later...
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    I do yoga. There are plenty of videos on Youtube.