Building muscle without weights question..

Options

Replies

• HannahsBestLife
    HannahsBestLife Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Also, don't fall in the trap of confusing being lean and having muscle mass. Especially if your feel the need to compare yourself to anyone here or out and about.

People can look muscular (and bigger) only because they have gotten leaner. Especially in pictures. You see them in person you'd want to give them a hamburger

People can also look muscular (and bigger) because they are carrying a lot of bodyfat over any muscle and if they were to diet down egos would deflate.

And regardless of your routine if your not significantly overweight already your not going to be building anything if your dieting.

Good Luck!

Thank you everyone for all your replies :D ^^ INteresting i'll keep this in mind :)
  • HannahsBestLife
    Options
    no

^this

You seriously think you can't build muscle without using weights??
    They're playing a game.

Ignore them. It's what I do.

:angry:

^this

heh

Haha, although this doesn't really help me in any way, It DID make me smile so Thanks :D
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Pilates tones you up really good, and all you need is your body weight. Try CRUNCH dvds.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Trust me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWvZtWiqUDI Mostly bodyweight. Check it out =)
  • DeborahBatewell
    DeborahBatewell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My friend recommended Tony Little's Easy Shaper Total Body Exerciser because you get the benefits of weight and resistance training with one piece of equipment. I did my first workout today with it and my body is feeling it.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    May have been said..but I'm going to say it anyway... INSANITY!!
    You need only the videos.. nothing else.

ETA... of course you have to put in the effort. ;0)
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    "Bump"

For the morning.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Bump cause I change up my workout routines every month or so :smile:
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Here's another at home workout you can do, I plan on putting a couple more up as well. :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/schlange11b
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    For a beginner body-weight exercises are as good as any gym as long as your putting tension on the muscles. The problems come in when you reach past the point where your body-weight is not longer providing overload. Legs and back can be a problem area since they are already used to carrying the majority of your body around and doing all the heavy lifting.

seems like this could be repeated.

also keep in mind that if weight loss is also your goal then that's obviously less weight you'd be working with....
  • HannahsBestLife
    Options
    Wow, can't believe I got so many replies :D Thank you everybody sooooo much :D you've all been a great help :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm all body weight exercises, with a bit of boxing thrown in (and really that's not lifting - just a $200 investment in a decent heavy bag, boxing gloves, and wraps)... pushups, planks, squats, skipping...

It's doable, but you have to be willing to push yourself to failure - regardless of whether you use weights or not - you have to be willing to drive your body into the ground.

For me, the last pushup is about half an inch from my arms giving out and me smashing my face into the floor.

but hey, it seems to work. :)
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    bump
  • RychelleD
    RychelleD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • random_20
    random_20 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Icanredefinemyself
    Options
    I'm really glad to see this thread. I think a lot of us are in that same boat where the gym is either inaccessible (either time or distance!) and your home IS your "gym". I'm going to date myself a little: I used to swear by Cindy Crawford's Workout that she made in the 90s. I know, I know, it's probably older than you are but the workouts she does in it (there were three- two long ones and one shortie that you could do anywhere in 15 min) are awesome. They simply use a mat and a chair, floor exercises, free weights, old school pushups and the whole 9 yds. Loved loved loved it. Plus it was nice to see a little jiggle on a super model. Made me feel like she was normal like the rest of us.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Might be worth looking at the Canadian Airforce fitness routine (5BX). Was developed for flight crew on postings who wouldn't have access to a gym. It's a progressive plan from beginner onwards. Assume it's still in print?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Okay, since someone has to ask...

My knees are knackered from rheumatoid arthritis. I have tried, and tried, and tried to figure out a way to do squats that doesn't cause excruciating pain, but haven't found one. The problem is, that's all anyone tells me to do. :( And it doesn't matter how much they fix my form, it hurts. Pain is not weakness leaving the body. Pain is pain. Pain is further damage to sensitive tissue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for at-home work that covers the same muscle groups that does NOT require that I hyperextend my knees repeatedly? I know I may have to do MORE exercises to get the same effect, but still...

Open to suggestions...

=Betty=

Have you tried doing straight leg lifts? Lie on your back with one knee bent and that foot flat on the floor. Slowly raise the other leg about 6-8 inches off the floor, and then slowly lower it. Depending upon how challenging it is, do alternating sets of 10-15 reps. You can also do this with ankle weights for additional resistance. You will be working your quads, but putting very little stress on the knee because you are keeping your leg straight. You can also do side leg raises while lying on your side.

Swimming or water aerobics is also a great form of exercise for people with arthritis.

+1 those leg raises, to start (maybe except for ankle weights, just in case, re RA)

I don't know how this might feel, but you could try just partial squats, in the form of sitting way back into a hard (eg kitchen) chair, and then standing up. Move your bum way back to hit the backrest, and stand up again, with feet @ a comfortable angle, & with shins @ 90 degrees & knees straight (not rolling inward).

The more weight you can lose by diet alone, the less pressure on your joints, and the easier movements will be.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Also, don't fall in the trap of confusing being lean and having muscle mass. Especially if your feel the need to compare yourself to anyone here or out and about.

People can look muscular (and bigger) only because they have gotten leaner. Especially in pictures. You see them in person you'd want to give them a hamburger

People can also look muscular (and bigger) because they are carrying a lot of bodyfat over any muscle and if they were to diet down egos would deflate.

And regardless of your routine if your not significantly overweight already your not going to be building anything if your dieting.

Good Luck!

I agree, if the hope is to be a bodybuilder or into weightlifting or looking stacked, but for most peoples' needs - to be lean and have a pleasing physique - bodyweight exercises will take you the whole way you want to go.