Females: Is it just me who gains during a visit from TOM?

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Seriously. I am 2lbs heavier than I was on Saturday and it is Wednesday. I ate a bit more (probably maintenance), but not enough to gain 2lbs. lol. I went and worked out on Sunday as well and I was already a little heavier than I started. Is there anyone else who gains at this time?

Yep we all do. We usually retain water.

We don't ALL do it. My last time I lost 2.3 lbs so yes, it IS possible to lose during that time. Some ladies can't but why not try to increase your water intake substantially, avoid high sodium foods and working out on your weigh day and see if this works for you. You might be one of the 'lucky' ones too.
  • Naw, you are not alone, sister!
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    me too, for sure!
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    curious...is TOm a common term for it in America? Do people not call it a period?
  • i gain up to 7lbs at certain times of the month :(
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Yes, it is JUST you, OP....nobody else does...ever....

*rolls eyes
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Normally I gain, but last month it was so heavy I lost :noway:

I'd never weighed daily pre mfp either, so I hadn't realised either. I think the wording of your title brought out the snark in some people :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    curious...is TOm a common term for it in America? Do people not call it a period?
    '

Depends who you talk to.

I have a friend in Ontario who calls it; Aunt Flo. "Aunt Flo is visiting."

I have friends who call it 'their period'.

And some proper friends who say; Menstrual cycle.

Or 'I'm menstruating.' I think they just like flaunting that they can pronounce that without stuttering. I always stutter. For some reason my tongue has a hard time wrapping around it.

For me, personally, I just say 'I'm on my period'. Or I'm PMSing (usually it's not the PERIOD that's the problem, it's all the symptoms prior to that knock me flat).

TMI POST ALL AROUND
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    '

Depends who you talk to.

Or 'I'm menstruating.' I think they just like flaunting that they can pronounce that without stuttering. I always stutter. For some reason my tongue has a hard time wrapping around it.

For me, personally, I just say 'I'm on my period'. Or I'm PMSing (usually it's not the PERIOD that's the problem, it's all the symptoms prior to that knock me flat).

TMI POST ALL AROUND

Thanks for clearing that up...I too struggle to say menstruating ...sounds so medical...we have a number of delightful terms for it in England including "got the painters in" "the reds are playing at home" "being on the blob" and the more obscure "monkeys head week" (which I can't explain)....but hey that is British humour for you.....
  • amykff
    amykff Posts: 80 Member
    i do but its typically because i go a bit mental and eat all around me haha :laugh:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    I am just curious, considering how many times this question is asked on this site by young women. What do they teach in health these days?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    '

Depends who you talk to.

TMI POST ALL AROUND

Thanks for clearing that up...I too struggle to say menstruating ...sounds so medical...we have a number of delightful terms for it in England including "got the painters in" "the reds are playing at home" "being on the blob" and the more obscure "monkeys head week" (which I can't explain)....but hey that is British humour for you.....

I like the Native American version - Moon Time. When a woman is in her power! ;)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    If you keep gaining weight when TOM visits, tell him to quit bringing pizza!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    '

Depends who you talk to.

TMI POST ALL AROUND

I like the Native American version - Moon Time. When a woman is in her power! ;)

Shark week.
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Don't freak out! It is pretty common. I have gained 6 pounds this week (TOM time!). I always do and it always goes away a couple of days after my TOM finishes.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    I usually gain 2-4 pounds - all water. Last week I couldn't zip up my biggest pants, and the weight on the scale was just 2 pounds heavier, so you can imagine the bloat. I once was up 7 pounds! I also had the biggest salt craving the night before...I'm sure that was a huge part of it.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    yes you are the only one. The only one ever. The chosen one.
    I had to quote this. You may have been sarcastic, but even being called The chosen one that way sounds awesome. lmso. <3 Now I want to go watch some Superhero/Scifi/Action movies. Also, reminds me of when my friends and I tag each other on facebook. One time we brought up that some people like it because it feels like you're James Bond with people using your whole name haha. Like > Alyssa Milano, Michael Jackson, Clark Kent, James Bond. It is rarely just James.

Haha, I'm glad you can take a joke :) I like to use the phrase "The Chosen One" whenever possible XD
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    So happy to read this thread. I "know" that you can gain water weight during your TOM, but this is my first time weighing myself through it, and my weight loss progress (only been doing this 20+ days) is stalled despite a good-behaviour week. I was worrying something was off with my goals, but maybe it really is a retention issue.
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Anyone who calls it Aunt Flo had better either have young children or.... well, there's no or. Young children are pretty much the only excuse. Blood and tissue leaking out of your vag is not cute, nor does it need to be tarted up in any way to make it seem so. My portable baby factory is on it's maintenance cycle and I am NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.
  • I weigh more during that time, too. I think most women do, due to water retention and such. Don't worry about it too much :)