Why are you doing this? (Fitness motivations)

Options
RodSuarez
RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
Why are you working out and dieting?

I know we do it for health but let's be honest and shallow - what's the real reason?

At the beginning it might be hard but after some time it becomes a part of your life and you can't do without it, so what made you do it at first'?

What's your motivation?
Goals?
Dream size / body?

Replies

• JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Im doing it to fit in single number skirts. I wear a 16, I want to wear a 9 or lower. Im doing this to get pregnant and get off my PCOS meds. I am doing it because I had a miscarriage in 09 and used food to help heal a heart that couldnt be healed in that way.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    When I was a teenager for about a year I lived eating fast food [Super size me much?] due to some family issues we used to eat out all the time - then I realized that was going to be harmful for my career path and I decided I was going to work out - so I lost 60 pounds the next summer - then I stopped working out and gained 20 of those back but was feeling "ok" with it ["School kept me busy" was my excuse].

Then last year right after my midterm performance [Musical Theatre] my teacher talked to me and said "Rodrigo you shouldn't be playing the cute guys - you are tall, have charisma, charm and you should really try and work out really hard so you could become sexy and sell sex on that stage" so I took his word and I sexed up my performance - then I started working out and now I've lost so much fat and gained muscle and everything... my Golden motivation is to one day be a performer on www.broadwaybares.com Yes I want to have people lusting at me, and help the world doing so.

I know getting sexier can only help my career and I am a really career oriented guy - so I won't stop till I get to look like this:
    http://images.bwwstatic.com/upload8/362853/tn-500_lowres_bb22_windowcards-1.jpg
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    Im doing it to fit in single number skirts. I wear a 16, I want to wear a 9 or lower. Im doing this to get pregnant and get off my PCOS meds. I am doing it because I had a miscarriage in 09 and used food to help heal a heart that couldnt be healed in that way.
    it's a beautiful motive, you are doing great keep the good work pretty lady =)
  • kleis3
    Options
    I want to be a healthier me but also because I look better when I was thinner. I have the type if body that the first place I start to gain is my face then it continues on to the rest of my body. I used to be REALLY thin and I don't want to get quite back to that. However, I do want to get back to 120lbs because I feel better when I look better. Everyone can say it's for many different reasons but for so many of us, you feel better about yourself when you look and the mirror and physically feel better. I want to get back into those skinny jeans of mine :-)
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of being fat. been fat my whole adult life. And I wanna look awesome on my wedding day in August. But I started this diet before I even got engaged. Although it is definitely more motivation.
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I actually made a blog post about this. It's somewhat shallow, cocky, and self-centered, but there is truth in it.

Oftentimes I am presented with the question why. Why did I make this change? Why did I quit smoking, drugs, and the overindulgent lifestyle I had originally set out upon? Overall, why did I choose the path of fitness and health over the relative ease of sloth and gluttony? Did I do it to impress anyone? Was it for simple health reasons? Or was it, truthfully, for myself?
    I believe we all face this question, and all, inevitably, come to the same conclusion. We do this for all of those reasons. I may have started with a certain incentive in mind (enlistment in the US Army), and a certain event which made me realize a change was necessary (ex-fiance breaking it off), but I continued for ME. I like being able to look around and realize that I am more fit than 90% of the people around me. Seeing everyone giving up while I am barely warming up gets my blood pumping. I live for feeling worn down, beat up, and thinking "I think I'll hit it harder tomorrow".
    Now, I would be lying if I said that it did not thrill me to show off my body. Hearing the intake of breath as I take off my shirt and feeling the jealousy of those that are unwilling to put in the work for the results gives me a sense of satisfaction. Am I cocky? Hell yes I am, I worked damn hard, and I feel I deserve to be cocky. We all do. We have all taken those steps towards a better life, body, and overall health. We have all decided that we are not satisfied with what we were, and strive to improve it. We, unlike them, WILL put in the work. So when people approach us, questioning our decisions, judging us for choosing health over decadence, and just generally decrying our lifestyle, smile and remember: You ARE stronger than them. You WILL get results. Most importantly, you CHOSE to take the hard path, and fight the current. Keep fighting, dammit, and show these poor fools what true strength is.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    I'm sick of being fat. been fat my whole adult life. And I wanna look awesome on my wedding day in August. But I started this diet before I even got engaged. Although it is definitely more motivation.
    You will look stunning in that wedding dress ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    to be Batman
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I've done it for my health first off. Secondly...I was always over weight...since..forever. then one say while walking thru the mal, noticed my hands going numb. It scared me cuz my dad had that right before being dx with diabetes. I didn't want to end up like tha. He lost a ton of weight himself and is no longer diabetic...np meds, nothing. So..it good to not be the over weight one in the room all the time now. I still want to lose 15-20.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was tired of looking at myself in the mirror and not recognizing me. Disgusted by wearing clothes. Disgusted by being nakey. Guilty from stuffing my face over and over and hiding it... yeah like that was working with the fat hanging off me. Anyway, the deal breaker is when I broke the 200lb mark... I'm 5'5" and that does not look okay :-) Either way Im 41lb lighter and a "normal" size and a whole lot healthier and more confident. I have 10lb+ to go.. and I WILL get there!
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    I actually made a blog post about this. It's somewhat shallow, cocky, and self-centered, but there is truth in it.

Oftentimes I am presented with the question why. Why did I make this change? Why did I quit smoking, drugs, and the overindulgent lifestyle I had originally set out upon? Overall, why did I choose the path of fitness and health over the relative ease of sloth and gluttony? Did I do it to impress anyone? Was it for simple health reasons? Or was it, truthfully, for myself?
    I believe we all face this question, and all, inevitably, come to the same conclusion. We do this for all of those reasons. I may have started with a certain incentive in mind (enlistment in the US Army), and a certain event which made me realize a change was necessary (ex-fiance breaking it off), but I continued for ME. I like being able to look around and realize that I am more fit than 90% of the people around me. Seeing everyone giving up while I am barely warming up gets my blood pumping. I live for feeling worn down, beat up, and thinking "I think I'll hit it harder tomorrow".
    Now, I would be lying if I said that it did not thrill me to show off my body. Hearing the intake of breath as I take off my shirt and feeling the jealousy of those that are unwilling to put in the work for the results gives me a sense of satisfaction. Am I cocky? Hell yes I am, I worked damn hard, and I feel I deserve to be cocky. We all do. We have all taken those steps towards a better life, body, and overall health. We have all decided that we are not satisfied with what we were, and strive to improve it. We, unlike them, WILL put in the work. So when people approach us, questioning our decisions, judging us for choosing health over decadence, and just generally decrying our lifestyle, smile and remember: You ARE stronger than them. You WILL get results. Most importantly, you CHOSE to take the hard path, and fight the current. Keep fighting, dammit, and show these poor fools what true strength is.

Preach it Bro! that's the real deal!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Working on exercising more because exercise improves depression symptoms.
    Working on a healthier relationship with food because I don't want to binge and I don't want to overly restrict.
    Working on reducing my weight for a few reasons:
    1. my PCOS has improved with weight loss.
    2. I want to experience less fat-hate based oppression.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    to be Batman
    AMEN! But I wanted to be Captain America (but am not from the US and without using steroids...) then got called the love child of Captain American and Superman or Superman's evil cousin so I guess those could work well for me.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    I've done it for my health first off. Secondly...I was always over weight...since..forever. then one say while walking thru the mal, noticed my hands going numb. It scared me cuz my dad had that right before being dx with diabetes. I didn't want to end up like tha. He lost a ton of weight himself and is no longer diabetic...np meds, nothing. So..it good to not be the over weight one in the room all the time now. I still want to lose 15-20.
    just read your 115 pounds lost, WOW! Looking at you I would never guessed you had that weight before! I told you before you look amazing, so proud of you!
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    I was tired of looking at myself in the mirror and not recognizing me. Disgusted by wearing clothes. Disgusted by being nakey. Guilty from stuffing my face over and over and hiding it... yeah like that was working with the fat hanging off me. Anyway, the deal breaker is when I broke the 200lb mark... I'm 5'5" and that does not look okay :-) Either way Im 41lb lighter and a "normal" size and a whole lot healthier and more confident. I have 10lb+ to go.. and I WILL get there!
    you should wear a sexy red dress and not hide anymore cause you are beautiful!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    This time around it was a financial incentive. My employer is running a program where they will reduce our insurance premiums based upon healthy living. We get so much off for not smoking, so much for BMI, and some for VO2 readings on a fitness test. Plus they are having monthly weigh ins, and drawings.

I won a $100 gift card the other day for weight lost.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    Working on exercising more because exercise improves depression symptoms.
    Working on a healthier relationship with food because I don't want to binge and I don't want to overly restrict.
    Working on reducing my weight for a few reasons:
    1. my PCOS has improved with weight loss.
    2. I want to experience less fat-hate based oppression.
    I've been dealing with depression too - not because of my looks or anything like that (due to family issues that lead to me dropping off my last college) my refuge has been working out (as I explained my reasons on top of the page) - I tend to feel depressed during the day but I forget about it when I work out (but I try not to overwork as I almost fell into that wagon)
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    This time around it was a financial incentive. My employer is running a program where they will reduce our insurance premiums based upon healthy living. We get so much off for not smoking, so much for BMI, and some for VO2 readings on a fitness test. Plus they are having monthly weigh ins, and drawings.

I won a $100 gift card the other day for weight lost.
    that's a cool employer, where do you work?
  • Anaconda62
    Options
    Aside from the health reasons--BEAUTIFUL CLOTHES!!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am 68 and my body is not as forgiving as it was. My social life revolves around my walking group. With them and others I have enjoyed some wilderness hiking adventures. This summer I found my knees were bothering me and I was having to sit out my walk some days or shorten it. Dr took x-rays and it looks like I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. He referred me to a surgeon to discuss a knee replacement. I have friend who have had those and they are still limited in their activity. I asked Dr if there wasn't some other alternative. He said though I wasn't very overweight, a ten pound weight loss would take a lot of pressure off the knee. He also suggested weight training aimed at developing the muscle support for the knee. So that is what I did. I have been at it now for three months and my knees are much better. I hope to get a few miles out of them yet.