Struggling to eat enough, or bulking/gaining weight?

Options
I've seen in the forums quite a few times about people who are struggling to meet their calorie allowance, usually because exercise brings up the total, or they're trying to gain weight / bulk.

I'm trying to bulk myself, minimum goal of 3000 calories a day. So I decided to make a blog post for those of you who are gaining as well, and might need some ideas of what sort of foods to eat to get the calories up, or those who are just after new recipes that aren't low calorie.

I'm aware that a lot of people struggle because they don't want to eat any "junk" at all. I don't eat 100% clean, but I don't think I eat junk either. I try to get as much nutritional value as I can with what I choose to have, so hopefully it helps for that too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heidi_1990/view/higher-calorie-meals-with-pics-448858

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've seen in the forums quite a few times about people who are struggling to meet their calorie allowance, usually because exercise brings up the total, or they're trying to gain weight / bulk.

I'm trying to bulk myself, minimum goal of 3000 calories a day. So I decided to make a blog post for those of you who are gaining as well, and might need some ideas of what sort of foods to eat to get the calories up, or those who are just after new recipes that aren't low calorie.

I'm aware that a lot of people struggle because they don't want to eat any "junk" at all. I don't eat 100% clean, but I don't think I eat junk either. I try to get as much nutritional value as I can with what I choose to have, so hopefully it helps for that too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heidi_1990/view/higher-calorie-meals-with-pics-448858

^ Female bulking at the same intake I bulk on. @#$# my life.

I'm going to go cry in the corner now, thanks.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Great Post Heidi! I'm gonna take a looksee! :happy:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

^ Female bulking at the same intake I bulk on. @#$# my life.

I'm going to go cry in the corner now, thanks.

best response i have seen in a long time!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Dang, your blog just made me hungry. That never happens.

A good goto for high calories is mixed nuts.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I think the choices of food you bulk on aren't great. I eat 6500 cals a day, all clean. Not liking your chicken currys etc. Not really that clean IMO.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Heidi I love your diary restores my faith in humanity and makes me feel less guilty for my huge intakes too
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I think the choices of food you bulk on aren't great. I eat 6500 cals a day, all clean. Not liking your chicken currys etc. Not really that clean IMO.

You should probably take your diary off of public before you make a post like that.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

You should probably take your diary off of public before you make a post like that.

Go ahead, tell me whats wrong with mine pray tell?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Matt_Wild?date=2012-10-30
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Have reached your minimum carb limit and protein limit for a day but still has a ton of cals left? ATE SOME FAT! ATE SOME SIMPLE SUGARS! GET A HAMBURGER!

Simple... :D
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

I'm aware I don't eat all clean foods and I don't intend to. I follow IIFYM. My personal aim is to hit my macro/calorie goals, get enough fibre and hopefully in that, sufficient fruit / veg.

I don't think the choices I listed are particularly bad though. I see them as sort of a middle range, not junk, not 100% clean. It's great that you eat that much, all clean. I'm just trying to throw ideas out there for people who struggle to eat more, and show that you don't have to go down to McDonalds, or sit eating burgers, crisps, chips, cake etc all day to be eating more.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I'm aware I don't eat all clean foods and I don't intend to. I follow IIFYM. My personal aim is to hit my macro/calorie goals, get enough fibre and hopefully in that, sufficient fruit / veg.

I don't think the choices I listed are particularly bad though. I see them as sort of a middle range, not junk, not 100% clean. It's great that you eat that much, all clean. I'm just trying to throw ideas out there for people who struggle to eat more, and show that you don't have to go down to McDonalds, or sit eating burgers, crisps, chips, cake etc all day to be eating more.

He does, although he's deleted it now. Ironically, it was the most vegetables he's had since September.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look fabulous, already. You are my idol.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    He does, although he's deleted it now. Ironically, it was the most vegetables he's had since September.

What are you on about? I've deleted nothing.

I have spinach or broccoli with just about every savory meal my pedigree chum.

And yes, I have the odd McDonalds/KFC/Pizza Hut etc etc. Nowt wrong with a cheat meal once or twice a week when bulking. The other 54 meals a week I have out of 56 are clean.

Get back in your cage you silly person.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Just my personal opinion. I feel it carries some weight as I coach people to bulk and also into comp shape, I have a good grasp of healthy options.

Not an attack, just casting my opinion on your post - which I thought your post was for? Sorry if not.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Matt_Wild-- Do you feel sick after eating so much? How do you work up to that sort of caloric intake? I eat about 2200 calories and feel so full. (Granted, I'm smaller than you, but still.)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

Just my personal opinion. I feel it carries some weight as I coach people to bulk and also into comp shape, I have a good grasp of healthy options.

Not an attack, just casting my opinion on your post - which I thought your post was for? Sorry if not.

That's fine, you coach people for comps and no doubt know a lot about that stuff so your opinion is welcome. There might be some people here who want that approach and could benefit from hearing your ideas :) I'm not aiming to get in competition shape though or follow a strict clean diet. Nor will I claim this is the best option for those who are.

Giving ideas out for meals that were higher calorie, could suit a wider range of people, (not all clean, but not "junk" either) was the aim of the post.
    Do you feel sick after eating so much? How do you work up to that sort of caloric intake? I eat about 2200 calories and feel so full. (Granted, I'm smaller than you, but still.)

I know this question wasn't aimed towards me, but while I've always had somewhat of a large appetite, I did have to work myself up to this. 2500 has nearly always been easy for me to reach, but at the beginning of my bulk (2 months ago) I had to make extra effort to hit 3000 half the time. Now I can hit 3500 pretty easily. You do get used to it, which makes it all the more difficult when you cut I think!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Matt_Wild-- Do you feel sick after eating so much? How do you work up to that sort of caloric intake? I eat about 2200 calories and feel so full. (Granted, I'm smaller than you, but still.)

TBH I'm at 255-260lb in weight so its getting easier as I'm getting used to it. The trick is to gradually increase your calories. I didn't go from 2500-3000 cals when cutting to 6500. For 6-8 weeks post diet, I increase calories to 4500, and your belly adjusts to the increased food. And then up to 6500 calories.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Go ahead, tell me whats wrong with mine pray tell?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Matt_Wild?date=2012-10-30

What benefits do you believe she will gain by keeping identical calories and macronutrients but choosing different food sources?