Struggling to eat enough, or bulking/gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    What benefits do you believe she will gain by keeping identical calories and macronutrients but choosing different food sources?

I'd imagine plenty of good vits and minerals assuming the food is nice and clean. I just cannot call a chicken curry nor pizza a good bulking diet on a regular basis myself. Nor would I want anyone I train to do that either.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    What benefits do you believe she will gain by keeping identical calories and macronutrients but choosing different food sources?

I'd imagine plenty of good vits and minerals assuming the food is nice and clean. I just cannot call a chicken curry nor pizza a good bulking diet on a regular basis myself. Nor would I want anyone I train to do that either.

You probably got enough vitamins and minerals in your system after 500g of veggies a day and a multi vitamin. Rather eat cheaper "dirty" food to get the rest of my calories in.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

You probably got enough vitamins and minerals in your system after 500g of veggies a day and a multi vitamin. Rather eat cheaper "dirty" food to get the rest of my calories in.

Sorry, I didn't go into much detail beyond that.

I'd rather have lower LDL and higher HDL, better insulin sensitivity (e.g. less likely to put down fat and less likely to develop diabetes when I'm older) and general all round health the clean protein/fats/carbs I consume.

But that's your call. I'm around 10-12% at 255-260b, with abs. It works. Its keeps me lean, I don't pile on fat. Less work for me to get into stage shape each year.
  • testease
    Options
    And thats fine and reasonable.

Was just questioning the vitamins/minerals aspect, they get covered pretty easy these days.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Sorry, I didn't go into much detail beyond that.

I'd rather have lower LDL and higher HDL, better insulin sensitivity (e.g. less likely to put down fat and less likely to develop diabetes when I'm older) and general all round health the clean protein/fats/carbs I consume.

But that's your call. I'm around 10-12% at 255-260b, with abs. It works. Its keeps me lean, I don't pile on fat. Less work for me to get into stage shape each year.

And you believe the above is a factor of the cleanliness of your food selection? This is a genuine question. I just don't see how any of the food sources are inferior unless you're viewing the entire diet as a whole. If she's deficient in vitamins/minerals, then it's definitely a problem.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Yes, I genuinely do.

Unless you'd like to correct me and tell me where I'm going wrong?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

This is why I try to get sufficient fruit and vegetables included in my diet. In order to take care of micro-nutrients as well.

A genuine question about the 6500 calorie diary entry you showed earlier. What vitamins and minerals do you get from a diet that is pretty limited (mostly mince, rice cakes, PB and rice), that you can't get from a balanced diet? (that includes pizza and curry)
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

This is why I try to get sufficient fruit and vegetables included in my diet. In order to take care of micro-nutrients as well.

A genuine question about the 6500 calorie diary entry you showed earlier. What vitamins and minerals do you get from a diet that is pretty limited (mostly mince, rice cakes, PB and rice), that you can't get from a balanced diet? (that includes pizza and curry)

Tell me, which vitamins and minerals do you think I am NOT getting.

I've already demonstrated my reasoning here on this thread.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Yes, I genuinely do.

Unless you'd like to correct me and tell me where I'm going wrong?

I would question what the differences are between two scenarios where calorie and macro intake is matched, and micronutrient needs are being met.

I don't think there's any significant difference in body composition. I DO think there's are individual differences preferentially, and I think satiety differences obviously exist, but not body composition.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    So you are saying the fats are are all equal?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    So you are saying the fats are are all equal?

I am saying that given identical macronutrient intake and micronutrient sufficiency needs are met, individual food items are purely preferential.

Edit: I'm assuming real world scenarios here and not extreme oddities like filling your CHO entirely with table sugar for example.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options

Tell me, which vitamins and minerals do you think I am NOT getting.

Calcium? Judging purely from that day there doesn't seem to be dairy. You can get from leafy veg, and you said earlier you have broccoli and spinach, but I'm just going by the diary entry you gave as I haven't seen any more recently. Do you eat this everyday or most days in order to get this. Same with Vitamin K.

If you do, fair play I can't think of any other way it's limited. The same question I asked applys though, is there anything there that couldn't have been had through a more varied (but not so clean) diet.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I'm aware that a lot of people struggle because they don't want to eat any "junk" at all. I don't eat 100% clean, but I don't think I eat junk either. I try to get as much nutritional value as I can with what I choose to have, so hopefully it helps for that too.

sausage rolls, biscuits, pizza, that's all junk.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I'm aware that a lot of people struggle because they don't want to eat any "junk" at all. I don't eat 100% clean, but I don't think I eat junk either. I try to get as much nutritional value as I can with what I choose to have, so hopefully it helps for that too.

Why?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options

Yes I eat those, I don't restrict myself from any foods.

I don't think the examples I gave in the blog though were junk, I would see them as a middle ground. I wasn't recommending sausage rolls or biscuits as good bulking food in the post, they were just things I chose to eat myself, and they fit my goals so I'm not going to feel bad about it.

I think I'll make clear now, I'm not saying that this is the right way or the wrong way. People have the right to eat how they like, and do whatever works for them. Some like IIFYM (like me) and some like to eat 100% clean, and that's fine too. The whole point of the post and the blog was to give out ideas for high calorie meals as a lot of people struggle with eating enough. I purposefully chose meals that had some nutritional value (even if they're not 100% clean) in order to give ideas to those who don't want to just eat biscuits and sausage rolls.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Personally, I believe a little junk is far less damaging in a high calorie diet than the same amount in a low calorie diet. I fear I did my body some damage eating junk in place of healthier food on 1200kcal, but on 2000kcal plus, just adding junk on top of healthy food is less problematic.

As for chicken curry, I'm sure there are healthier and less healthy ways to make it. Curry does not have to mean high in saturated fat.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    a little junk is fine but there is more than a little junk in the OP's diary, but she says she doesn't eat junk? Just admit you eat junk like biscuits, mince pies, sausage rolls, pizza, doughnuts, Seemed a little hypocitical that's all.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    a little junk is fine but there is more than a little junk in the OP's diary, but she says she doesn't eat junk? Just admit you eat junk like biscuits, mince pies, sausage rolls, pizza, doughnuts, Seemed a little hypocitical that's all.

You haven't clarified what makes it junk.
  • testease
    Options

You haven't clarified what makes it junk.

Duh if its not chicken/lean beef and veggies, its junk. Anything that tastes good is junk
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've seen in the forums quite a few times about people who are struggling to meet their calorie allowance, usually because exercise brings up the total, or they're trying to gain weight / bulk.

I'm trying to bulk myself, minimum goal of 3000 calories a day. So I decided to make a blog post for those of you who are gaining as well, and might need some ideas of what sort of foods to eat to get the calories up, or those who are just after new recipes that aren't low calorie.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heidi_1990/view/higher-calorie-meals-with-pics-448858

^ Female bulking at the same intake I bulk on. @#$# my life.

I'm going to go cry in the corner now, thanks.

^this

Hold me bro.