I want to RUN

Options

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Little Thanksgiving morning NSV.

I have been too heavy to run since I was 12 years old. I have always been jealous of runners and dreamed of doing it.

When I started off 8 months ago, I could not run for 15 seconds. This morning I was on a lovely little walk and decided to try to run as long as I could.

I ran for 3 minutes! Could not believe it. I know it doesn't sound like much but it meant a lot to me. Now I know with determination, I CAN do it!

you ABSOLUTELY can!!! Unwittingly, you may well have taken your first steps to becoming a very distinguished runner...I hope you look into the c25k program and go from strength to strength....and congratulations again on a wonderful achievement.!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. (Lao Tzu)

You've taken that first step, congratulations.

If you truly want to become a runner don't let your enthusiasm overcome your common sense. Running (and I may be biased) can be one of the most enjoyable activities on the face of this planet but if you're new to it and overdo things it can bite you in the butt. Most running injuries are a result of doing too much, too soon, too fast.

Take your time, progress at a conservative rate, run consistently 3 or 4 times per week and cross train on non-running days (bike, swim, lift weights, walk etc) and remember to have fun!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Weigh to goooooooone..... Congrats. Huge NSV
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! And thanks for recommending the C25K program! I will start week 1 on Monday! I have a feeling I may have to repeat a couple of weeks here and there but I will stick with it.

My new goal is to be able to run non stop 5K. I know it will be kind of slow at first, but once I have that down I can start to increase in speed and distance.

Wow. It is hard to think of my future self being a "runner". 8 months ago me would have laughed her fat but off at that thought!

This is such a fantastic dream to aspire to.

(and I am doing 3 days of heavy lifting a week as well for anyone that wants to know)

EDIT: and good call on the taking it slow. I'll just stick to the C25K program 3 days a week until I can complete it.
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You're doing awesome. I was in the same place you are right now. I have always been way too heavy and couldn't do it, but now I'm up to running an hour a day. You'll get there too. You're doing fantastic!
  • tlelizondo
    tlelizondo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! You will only improve now that you got a taste of it. I too have always wanted to run but was way to heavy. I have only lost about half of what I need to, but this morning I jogged an entire 3 miles without stopping or walking! It still took me almost 36 min so I don't know if you can really call it running, but for me the jogging that long was a huge deal! Keep it up!
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Jogging is what I am looking for right now. I'll slowly work up the run. :laugh:

Another great thing is back when I tried 8 months ago, an old knee injury flared up when I tried. (I think it might have something to do with the unfair amount of weight I made it haul around all the time.) Didn't bother me in the least today! (And don't worry, Doc cleared me on any exercise I wanted to try a few weeks ago)
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Conrats!!!! I know the feeling!

Before I started the C25k program, I could not jog more than 30sec. When I hit 3 mins straight I was so happy, I just kept going from there. Just remember to take your time and pace yourself and don't let yourself get carried away. I had to learn to slow my pace so I could jog farther between walks. It works.

I have since finished the program and have ran a few 5k on my own and will be running in my first official 5k on Sunday! I am a tad slow, so far I calculated it to take me 38mins at home roughly but if I look at that number, compared to months ago when 30 sec was hard, it makes me feel damn proud regardless of how fast I am.

It is your own race.

Good luck and congrats again!!
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! You will only improve now that you got a taste of it. I too have always wanted to run but was way to heavy. I have only lost about half of what I need to, but this morning I jogged an entire 3 miles without stopping or walking! It still took me almost 36 min so I don't know if you can really call it running, but for me the jogging that long was a huge deal! Keep it up!

I would kill for 36 mins 3 miles :laugh: . I've done it in 38 so far... but then I think to myself... I just ran 38mins straight with no walking or stopping and I am proud of myself all over again :happy:
  • NickDHussin
    Options
    Once you feel comfortable with the 5ks with C25K they have 5K 2 10K training programs as well! If you want to slowly increase your distance. :D Best of luck to you!
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Ah this is why I love this site, you guys are all awesome! Made my day!

I like the idea of signing up for a 5K maybe 6 months or so in the future so I have something to keep me motivated (besides the fun of running!)

I know a treadmill is more accurate on speed and distance, that sort of thing, but I will be doing this program outdoors. Not only is the weather here in TX very moderate in the winter, but I am still too self conscious to run on a gym treadmill. All I can hear is my own pounding footsteps and imagine the treadmill is about to break. And I'm always looking around to see if anyone notices me attempting to do what all of the other people there are already doing. :laugh:
  • jnetholmer
    Options
    Great Job with the running. I was never a runner, but in the spring was convinced to try it. I have now done 9 miles in one run and several 6 mile runs My trick...interval running. I started running 30 s, walking 30s. Then it was run 1 minute, walk 30 sec. I worked up to 2 min run:1min walk and now I am working on increasing my distance. I am not athletic but can keep a 12 min mile pace, 5mph by doing these intervals. I have read a couple running books and several of them suggested the idea. Start with short times to keep the intervals: 5 min, 10 min, and then increase your time. You can do it! Really if I can run for 1 hour and 13 minutes and keep a 5 mph overall pace (at 190 pounds!) anyone can do it!! Good Luck.
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to transition into running, too. I think 3 minutes is fabulous!!! When I want to work on running, I go to our school gym. I walk four laps and then run one. By the time I finished the last time, I had run over a mile. My best there is 3 in a row, but I couldn't breathe. One or two laps in a row is my limit at the moment. You keep at it and I promise I will too! :wink:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Do couch to 5k :) it will really help
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. You'll be running 5 and then 10 and more in no time!!! Keep up the good work!
  • angel51woo
    Options
    keep running!
    27462523.png
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That's great, well done!
    I can't wait until I can run for awhile, without sounding like I'm gonna die :laugh:
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are on the right path, thanks for sharing!
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    That's awesome . . . you should be very proud of yourself!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    fantastic well done
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!