I want to RUN

Options

Replies

• zannyzanzanzibar
    zannyzanzanzibar Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome, well done you!!

I used to despise running. I was the ridiculously unfit girl who was always at the back, walking instead of running, during cross country at school. Now I can run a 5k fairly easily!

Keep it up, you're doing great :)
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    I could only do a few minutes when I started, endurance is built over time. Good job for taking the first step !
    Get good shoes, run slow, walk fast and drink a lot all through the day.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You can so do it! I had never been able to run more than 1/4 mile at a time, even when I was a teenager. I was obese pretty much my whole adult life. In March of last year, I started doing c25k. I did two rounds of it and 8 months after I started, I ran my first 5k in just over 34 minutes. Since March of last year I've done 2 5ks, 2 4 milers and a half marathon. And I agree about signing up for races. I like to always be signed up for a race 3-5 months out (my next one is the Hot Chocolate 5k in March). Keeps me motivated to run (because it is NOT my favorite thing in the world).
  • kddham
    kddham Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My story is some what same.. when I started 5 months back.. I could hardly ran 0.5 km in one streach.. I kept on trying and started increasing my distance every week by 0.25 km.. Then started reading about running !

Now so far I have ran 2 half marathon and around 20+ 10 and 15 kms !

My Schedule :
    Running : Wed - 5 km, Friday - 10 km and Sun - 15 km
    Weight Training : Tue, Thu and Sat

Do include weigh training along with running .. it will increase your mucsle strengh to run longer !
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I just did day one of C25K today. You can totally do this. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.
  • weeto1
    weeto1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well done. Keep it simple.
  • TashiaMH
    TashiaMH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great NSV
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You are the awesome in awesome sauce! Great job!!
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!! I manage about 30 seconds, can't wait until I am where you are now. Keep it up girl!!!
  • lel76
    lel76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congratulations! Start off with C25k and you will be running in no time. I started like this and now I'm nearing completion of my 10k app and looking towards a health marathon one. I am still obese too so if I can run then so can you! I'm slow but I don't care! Good luck and stick at it!!!
  • lel76
    lel76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oops half*
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    I think I'll look into some nice running shoes now. Any ideas? I have a pair or Merrell barefoot trail shoes that I have now but might need to be retired soon.

I am hoping for something preferably under $150.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You need to run slower to last longer (pace yourself) and then you can work your way up from .25 miles to even a mile.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    3 minutes is amazing! I'm pretty positive I couldn't do that. You should be so proud of yourself.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think I'll look into some nice running shoes now. Any ideas? I have a pair or Merrell barefoot trail shoes that I have now but might need to be retired soon.

[/quote
    I got me a pair of Asics for half that and they are so comfortable, I can even run on pavement.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I'm so happy that you have decided to do the C25K program! I like my Asics as well. It would be a good idea to go in and get fitted for shoes, if not this time for sure next time. They will watch you run and be sure that you feet/ankles are lined up properly
  • algebravoodoo
    Options

I have found decent prices on Joe's New Balance Outlet. true, they are not the newest models but so what? I'm pretty sure if you know of a specific model you'd like to try, someone somewhere online has it on sale.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/

Good luck!
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just have to recommend the app "Zombies, run!" (by Six to Start). The first time I used it I ran at 7 km/h average instead of my usual km/h with very few breaks. There's nothing like having a personal trainer tell you that you better run or the zombies are gonna eat you!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That's soooo great..I still can't run for a long stretch and I've done a couple 5 k's and I run weekly!

Running is hard! Good luck!!
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    That is awesome! You will only improve now that you got a taste of it. I too have always wanted to run but was way to heavy. I have only lost about half of what I need to, but this morning I jogged an entire 3 miles without stopping or walking! It still took me almost 36 min so I don't know if you can really call it running, but for me the jogging that long was a huge deal! Keep it up!

If it felt like running/jogging, it was running/jogging! Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!