peanut butter

Options
I'm trying to find a healthy peanut butter that basically isn't full of crap but I'm not particularly good at reading/understanding nutritional values unless they are nicely colour coded for me...

suggestions for good peanut butters? (In the UK)

Replies

• Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not sure if they sell the brand in the UK but I use Adam's All Natural - no sugars, oils, or anything gross, just peanuts and some salt :)
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Just read labels and look for a peanut butter with no more than 2 ingredients...peanuts and maybe salt. That's it! I find lots of choices in the refrigerated section of my grocery store's health section.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    The label shoud say:

Ingredients: Peanuts

or

Ingredients: peanuts, salt

either one is perfect.
  • aquariansmb
    aquariansmb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    On option is to simply make your own. All you really need is a food processor and peanuts (salt if you wish). Some organic grocery stores will even have machines where you can blend your own too.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Read labels. Visit smaller specialty or health food stores. Many chain grocery stores only stock certain big name brands so you won't necessarily find healthier, less processed options. I have seen brands of peanut butter that have only "peanuts" as the ingredient. I don't use peanut butter anymore (it's actually a "legume") but I buy other nut butters that only contain nuts. One can also make their own nut butter by processing the nuts in a food processor.
  • shev11
    shev11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks everyone :) Unfortunately there seems to be a lot less choice of peanut butter in the UK compared to America...

Also, what if the ingredients are peanuts, salt and palm oil? palm oil is healthy enough right?
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Ah thanks everyone :) Unfortunately there seems to be a lot less choice of peanut butter in the UK compared to America...

Also, what if the ingredients are peanuts, salt and palm oil? palm oil is healthy enough right?

Palm oil is not healthy at all.

Look harder. Go to a big grocery store and I'm sure you'll find something called "Natural" or "Just Peanuts".
  • shev11
    Options

Palm oil is not healthy at all.

Look harder. Go to a big grocery store and I'm sure you'll find something called "Natural" or "Just Peanuts".

that was the ingredients for "whole earth peanut butter" the only 'healthy' one I could find. Everything else had sugar and dextrose in it.
  • shev11
    Options
    I might just have to go to holland and barrett and pay insane prices bleh
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i go with crunchy JIF. lead active lifestyle, maintain healthy bf%.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Holland and Barrett. It's really hard to find PB that doesn't have added oil.
  • Richardcag
    Richardcag Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have just got some PB2 from amazon.co.uk.

It's a little pricey, but it's almost guilt free peanut butter.
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ingredients: Peanuts

hope this helps lol

but have a look in the health part of your supermarket there should be at least one brand, or if one has salt in it thats fine too. :)
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    my fave, Kraft All Natural
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

£9! For a jar! That's more than a little pricey... (is it any good?)
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Make your own!! you decied what you put in it and it's cheaper!!

I make mine with 1 cup of peanuts, 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of agave syrup. Just throw that in a food processor for about 5 minutes and done!! :)

You can even make different nut butters
  • shev11
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I think I'll try the meridian brand from Holland and Barrett.

Ingredients: Peanuts Whole Skin On (100%) :)

It's also not as pricey as I thought.
  • Richardcag
    Richardcag Posts: 18 Member
    Options

£9! For a jar! That's more than a little pricey... (is it any good?)

I tried it as I was intrigued to see what it tasted like. I love it and although it's expensive, I will defiantly buy it again.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I eat 'Whole Earth' peanut butter, its a little more expensive @ tesco but nice and not full of the crap they put in the cheaper brands www.wholeearthfoods.com
  • undeludedwish
    Options
    I know PB2 from US is really good maybe you can check if it delivers/retails in UK?