peanut butter

Options

Replies

• RunEatLift
    Options
    they've started selling pb and co peanut butter in Sainsburys, the only 2 ingredients are peanuts and salt.
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    'whole earth' available in loads of places in UK...Tesco, Sainsburys, waitrose as well as health food shops
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263926798
    IDShot_225x225.jpg
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Adams Nautral Crunchy in our house. A little bit expensive but I stock up when it is on sale.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Buy Dry Roasted Peanuts, Place in Food Processor, Turn Food Processor on and wait until peanuts turn to peanut butter, Enjoy!

You don't need to add anything additional, but I add honey sometimes.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Count me of the opinion that you really can't chose a "bad" peanut butter (unless you lump Nutella in with pb here).

Even the ones using hydrogenated oils have a dietarily insignificant amount of bad fats (peer reviewed article puts the trans fats of the WORST offenders at about 0.032g of trans fat/serving). Also the ones that add sugar add MAYBE 1g of sugar per serving.

IMO, get what tastes the best to you or what you feel best about.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    LOL just eat the peanuts... you'd be better off.
  • cossmos
    Options
    Try a health food store or make your own
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can get PB2 but i believe if you can order it off amazon.com you should try it. I love it and I was a huge peanut butter fan. To me it tastes like fresh peanuts.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks everyone :) Unfortunately there seems to be a lot less choice of peanut butter in the UK compared to America...

Also, what if the ingredients are peanuts, salt and palm oil? palm oil is healthy enough right?

Palm oil is not healthy at all.

Look harder. Go to a big grocery store and I'm sure you'll find something called "Natural" or "Just Peanuts".

Don't believe all the anti-saturated fat nonsense, palm oil is NOT unhealthy IF it is minimally processed. It is a naturally saturated plant oil similar to coconut oil. However, the best nut butters should not have other oils added, but they will often be hard to spread and must be kept in the refrigerator after opening. My trick is to pry out about a tablespoon, put it in a small dish and then microwave it for just a few SECONDS until it softens up. If your stores (try the small ones too) don't have natural nut butters try looking online as well.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks everyone :) Unfortunately there seems to be a lot less choice of peanut butter in the UK compared to America...

Also, what if the ingredients are peanuts, salt and palm oil? palm oil is healthy enough right?

Palm oil is not healthy at all.

Look harder. Go to a big grocery store and I'm sure you'll find something called "Natural" or "Just Peanuts".

Don't believe all the anti-saturated fat nonsense, palm oil is NOT unhealthy IF it is minimally processed. It is a naturally saturated plant oil similar to coconut oil. However, the best nut butters should not have other oils added, but they will often be hard to spread and must be kept in the refrigerator after opening. My trick is to pry out about a tablespoon, put it in a small dish and then microwave it for just a few SECONDS until it softens up. If your stores (try the small ones too) don't have natural nut butters try looking online as well.

Actually organic palm oil, not to be confused with palm kernel oil is full of healthy nutrients, certainly much healthier than peanut butter which is pretty much, just omega 6 bomb.
  • Ironphoenix
    Options
    Palm oil and coconut oil are the only two saturated fats that contain MCFA which means the body can use them as energy directly without any conversion. Excellent energy source x
  • Beki_87
    Options
    I buy Meridian natural peanut butter.
    http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/index.asp?Section=Products&details=31566050

I can get a 1kg pot for really quite cheap from my local wholefoods shop (Norwich), but you can get it online too:

http://www.vit-shop.co.uk/store/p/11972/1/Meridian-Natural-Crunchy-Peanut-Butter---No-added-sugar---1kg.html

There's a no added sugar and no added salt version too, as well as Organic.
    http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/index.asp?Section=Products&details=31567050
    http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/index.asp?Section=Products&details=32565050

And they do Almond Butter which I loooove! :)
    http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/index.asp?Section=Products&details=04563050
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find a healthy peanut butter that basically isn't full of crap but I'm not particularly good at reading/understanding nutritional values unless they are nicely colour coded for me...

suggestions for good peanut butters? (In the UK)

Whole earth peanut butter from morrisons
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    LOL just eat the peanuts... you'd be better off.

blending peanuts into "butter" does not change the nutrients so I assume this comment was a joke

Trader Joe's brand peanut butter and raw almond butter are fantastic and at a good price

they also have both peanut butter and almond butter with roasted flaxseeds that is very tasty
  • meocean123
    Options
    I think so. Peanut butter is good protein.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I agree with basically everyone....lol Peanut butter labels are one of the easy ones....Just peanuts should be on ingredients if you are really watching your sodium or if not....peanuts and salt. Enjoy!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can get PB2 but i believe if you can order it off amazon.com you should try it. I love it and I was a huge peanut butter fan. To me it tastes like fresh peanuts.

Love love PB2!!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I think I'll try the meridian brand from Holland and Barrett.

Ingredients: Peanuts Whole Skin On (100%) :)

It's also not as pricey as I thought.

My local Sainsburys sells the Meridian brand - cheaper than H&B I believe xx
  • meocean123
    Options
    Don't eat empty calories! Eat protein bars for lunch. That will really help
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    After thought....making your own is really quite easy as well. you just need peanuts(not roasted in any oils), coconut oil and salt. you can find the exact quantities of each online. I have done it a couple of times and I like that I can control the consistency.