Who else has to work today? :(

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    One more hour to go...
    Not that I am watching the clock or anything......
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Wish I had a job :frown:

Instead I've been a freelance Graphic Designer for the past year or so.. Finding it really hard to get a job, it's like no one wants to employ me :cry: Haha, fingers crossed I get one soon.

Not to be negative...but how long have you been out of school? Did you do any internships? And (quite serious here) you really need to network. Best way to do it? Go to the hipster bar where all the people who have jobs go. Yes, I am serious.

At least that is how it works here in Pittsburgh. My fiance is a freelance Graphic Designer, too. But he's got too much artistic integrity...therefore, jobs for him are rough because he doesn't "fit" into a mold.

School? I'm 20... And I've just left college. I really hope you're not judging me, because you honestly don't know my background or how hard I've been trying to find work.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Wish I had a job :frown:

Instead I've been a freelance Graphic Designer for the past year or so.. Finding it really hard to get a job, it's like no one wants to employ me :cry: Haha, fingers crossed I get one soon.

Not to be negative...but how long have you been out of school? Did you do any internships? And (quite serious here) you really need to network. Best way to do it? Go to the hipster bar where all the people who have jobs go. Yes, I am serious.

At least that is how it works here in Pittsburgh. My fiance is a freelance Graphic Designer, too. But he's got too much artistic integrity...therefore, jobs for him are rough because he doesn't "fit" into a mold.

School? I'm 20... And I've just left college. I really hope you're not judging me, because you honestly don't know my background or how hard I've been trying to find work.

By "school", I meant college.

After your message to me this morning, I decided to go back and see what I wrote. And honestly, no where in my original reply to you was I being judgmental. Nor was I being "snarky" or "mean". I was simply "suggesting" what might help in aiding your search for a potential job.

In my personal experience (because I've been in the artistic/design/photographic/media field for over 10 years), NETWORKING is probably a surefire way into helping a person find a job. At least here in the States, and with several people I know working within the field, meeting people and networking REALLY helps. Being on good terms with various walks of people (not to mention building a good reputation as a hard worker, an easy-going and fun person, as well as being able to communicate and be comfortable with yourself and others) is pretty important. Also, CONFIDENCE...it really does shine through, and future colleagues/employers can see that.

It's really a universal thing. I know plenty of WONDERFUL designers who do great work who are stuck because of a myriad of reasons - bad luck, self doubt, poor job market, nepotism, etc. Because they don't have a position doesn't mean they've failed. For example: my own fiance. He has real, innovative talent. He's not the best at networking himself, but since I've been in the picture (and being a social butterfly myself), I've pushed him GENTLY into situations where he can. And he's seen some moderate success with it. Right now, he's working on newsletters for religious organizations (and while he thinks the job is kind of lame -- it's still a job) and gets paid a small percentage of the total fee for the design...but it's all portfolio and experience no matter how much it irritates him or frustrates him...it's SOMETHING.

Again, I never meant any of this to be a personal attack. I'm sorry you felt that way.