Has anyone lost weight by quitting coffee?

Options
I am a current coffee drinker, I drink about 3 cups a day. I always make half decaf and half regular with about 3-4 TBS creamer. I stopped using sugar, I use stevia instead. But once in a while I'll be tempted to use sugar. I am wondering if anyone has seen results in the way they feel or has lost weight by quitting coffee. I am considering switching to green tea, but it will be an adjustment! I tried black tea, but I hate drinking it plain, I need to add cream and sweetener like coffee. Thanks!

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Never understood messing up a great cup of coffee with cream and sweetener. Be bold, drink it black.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    coffee on its own has no calories I believe, its the creamer that adds all the calories, if you are drinking 3 a day with 3-4 tbsp of cream, those calories will definitely add up, if you dropped the cream, you should make a dent in your caloric intake. I used to drink it with cream & sugar , then switched to just skim milk, now I drink black. it took a while to work down to black, I never thought I would ever like it black lol, so yeah you don't need to quit coffee, its the cream :)
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's not coffee you are drinking if you are putting that much creamer in it....
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I actually just started drinking coffee over the past year and love it. Ive steadily lost weight since I joined MFP and dont have any plans on quitting coffee. Unless someone drinks it excessively with tons of sugar and regular creamer, Im not sure why someone would want to quit. Even saying that, they could still enjoy coffee using other substitutes to make it tasty. Good luck :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just log the coffee (it does have a few calories but it's miniscule) and the creamer. I use coffee mate and I think it's 10 cals per tbsp. IMO it doesn't make that much difference unless you're drinking several cups a day, but you should log it.
  • haleydself
    Options
    Thats impossible for me!! I CANT quit my coffee... Or all the yummy flavors of coffeemate creamer!! lol! I just work around it :) That's my treat every day!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You may loose weight if you quit the creamer and sugar. Otherwise, there's research that indicates that coffee is good for the metabolism, which means it may help you lose weight.

What I would do if I worried about coffee meaning weight gain: Start having an espresso shot, black, when you feel you need a coffeine boost, and otherwise drink water or green tea with no sugar for when you're thirsty or just want something warm to hold and drink.

Sometimes though, there may be habits that are really hard to break that connects to coffee or tea-drinking. I am a tea-drinker, and I used to have a cookie (or 10) with my tea. I didn't even think about it, I thought I was just having a cup of tea. When I had to quit carbs and, as I could ease up on that, gluten, I discovered the cookie habit by how hard it was to drop it. Today, 12 years later, I still feel the urge to grab a cookie - just one - please - just one cookie - when I have a cup of tea. It's almost a slightly masochistic ritual now, where I have the tea and deny myself the cookie, feeling the urge and feeling very happy I am not giving in to it at the same time.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    That's not coffee you are drinking if you are putting that much creamer in it....

AMEN!
  • samlankford
    Options
    Coffee has been proven to be good for the body... the ONLY time I put cream in my coffee is around the holidays, I LOVE to put like a tbsp of heavy cream in it... just taste like christmas to me :blushing: I cannot stand sugar, or any type of sweetner in my coffee... I MUST have cream and sugar in my black tea, cannot drink tea on an empty stomach, it makes me throw up for some reason...
  • KamalBhai
    KamalBhai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter you quit coffee or not. If you stay within your recommended daily calorie limit then you definite lose some weight.

You can reduce your coffee intake upto 2 per day without sugar and cream. Along with this you can try some Green Tea that too without sugar and milk.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Never lost any weight giving up coffee, lost a few friends though...
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 5 cups in a 24 hour day and use coffee creamer too. My weight has not went up at all and I've maintained just fine. I think if u keep everything else in check you will be fine. My creamer in my coffee is my sweets for the day. Rest of the day is salads or what not then
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, with sweetener (stevia, sugar... whatever) and some sort of creamer. If you remain honest & count it against your daily intake, you'll lose the weight if you stay within your calorie goals. Goop it up if you want, but you gotta log it!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I just put some artificial sweetner in it and brings it down to 0-2 cal's. depends on the type of coffee you drink. Drop the creamer and/or milk! :)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Never understood messing up a great cup of coffee with cream and sweetener. Be bold, drink it black.

WORD!!!! To drink coffee is to drink coffee..when you add stuff to it..you totally ruin the concept. :drinker:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think coffee is an issue in and of itself. Of course, log the cals of your creamer, etc because they do count.

Do keep in mind that coffee is a diuretic ..it will remove water from the body. If you don't stay hydrated with enough water consumption, coffee w/ it's caffeine CAN cause the body to retain water in response to the diuretic effect. So, it IS possible to have water weight gain/ retention from drinking coffee if you don't otherwise stay hydrated.
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my coffee w/ 2 cream and 2 sugar at my local Tim Hortons. That's 210 calories per coffee (according to their site) at usually 2 -3 times a day, that's 630 extra calories a day just in coffee O.o . I slowly cut back on the add-ons and now only take a single cream in my coffee at 1/3 the calories (70 per coffee) I used to intake. If you drink a regular perk coffee and use 1tbs of creamer you can have you coffee for as little as 10 or 15 calories... basically nothing.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Drinking coffee with just milk is a good option if you don't like black.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am a current coffee drinker, I drink about 3 cups a day. I always make half decaf and half regular with about 3-4 TBS creamer. I stopped using sugar, I use stevia instead. But once in a while I'll be tempted to use sugar. I am wondering if anyone has seen results in the way they feel or has lost weight by quitting coffee. I am considering switching to green tea, but it will be an adjustment! I tried black tea, but I hate drinking it plain, I need to add cream and sweetener like coffee. Thanks!

If thsis how u like ur coffee then have it and don't give it up. Fit it into ur daily intake :). That's what I do :) enjoy it :drinker:
  • Luv108
    Luv108 Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow thanks for all of the input! I expected the opposite reaction, but it seems alot of people have no problem losing weight while still drinking coffee. That is great to know, I was feeling it would be hard to stop, so it helps knowing others still drink it and lose! Thanks!