Has anyone lost weight by quitting coffee?

Options

Replies

• AradiaStone
    AradiaStone Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am a current coffee drinker, I drink about 3 cups a day. I always make half decaf and half regular with about 3-4 TBS creamer. I stopped using sugar, I use stevia instead. But once in a while I'll be tempted to use sugar. I am wondering if anyone has seen results in the way they feel or has lost weight by quitting coffee. I am considering switching to green tea, but it will be an adjustment! I tried black tea, but I hate drinking it plain, I need to add cream and sweetener like coffee. Thanks!

I LOVE cream in my coffee. I recently discovered Fat Free Cream from Dairyland. It's just a good as the 10% but easier on the calories( it only has ten!) and I find it better then Skim milk (for myself) cuz it still adds that thick creamy taste to my coffee ;) Hope this helps :):)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee with cream and sugar. I like it and I'm not going to give it up or try drinking it with less calories. I log it and it accounts for about 50 calories per cup. I drink 1, 2 or sometimes 3 cups per day, rarely ever more than 3. If I cut that 50 to 150 calories a day, I would have to replace it with eating something else to make my calorie goal. I can't think of anything else I really want. *shrug*
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee with cream and sugar. I like it and I'm not going to give it up or try drinking it with less calories. I log it and it accounts for about 50 calories per cup. I drink 1, 2 or sometimes 3 cups per day, rarely ever more than 3. If I cut that 50 to 150 calories a day, I would have to replace it with eating something else to make my calorie goal. I can't think of anything else I really want. *shrug*

Just like this person, I enjoy my coffee with cream ( though I don't take sugar and never have in coffee). I treat it like a snack and have no plans to drink it black though I know it tastes "okay" that way.

I'd rather drink it black than have skim milk in it though. Ugh.

I'd go so far as to say that drinking cream in my coffee has actually helped me stay on track.

When having dinner out with friends, for instance, nobody gives you flack for skipping dessert because you're "on a diet" when you pour loads of cream in your after-dinner coffee.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to cut it out if you enjoy it. Coffee is actually America's number one source of antioxidant intake. Can you drink one cup of coffee the way you like it, with the creamer, and then for the rest of the day have black coffee or green tea? My first cup of coffee of the day is with non-dairy milk but after that it's just black or with Truvia.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I did a little, but it was a no brainer--coffee loaded with real cream and two packets of turbinado sugar will give you a butt that you're able to show home movies on.

I switched to Silk Light and Truvia. I'm sure I'm going to get a load of $h!t for using either or both products, but hey, they work for me.

I still fantasize about French press coffee with cream and Sugar in the Raw. Especially if it's served by Joe Manganiello.
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you could lose weight by eliminating coffee, I'm sure it would be minimal and not worth losing a great addiction!
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Coffee has almost no calories so you won't lose weight by quitting it although you may gain other benefits. I quit taking milk in it and I have never drank it with sugar. After about 3 days of drinking it without anything added I couldn't go back to having it with milk. It's delicious black when you get used to it and it only takes about 3 days. I have saved about 150 calories per day by taking it black which has helped my weightloss.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Be bold, drink it black.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a stimulant- stimulants curb hunger. Your problem is the cream. I'm also a sweet/white coffee drinker, but I use about a tsp of sugar and 2 ounces of 1% milk for every 16 oz of coffee. As others are saying, cut the cream.
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I stopped drinking coffee WITH sugar and half & half. The sugar was easy to let go, the 1/2 & 1/2 not so much. Now I use Hood Calorie Countdown 0% milk or fat-free 1/2 & 1/2 if the Calorie Countdown isn't available. I keep trying to give up the creamer but just can't do it yet. For now, this gives me way fewer calories for the taste I like.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you would like to cut back on the creamer, because I understand how delicious coffee is and refuse to give it up, try slowing switching down from heavy creamer to another milk (or no milk). Start from creamer, then switch to half and half, then to whole milk then to no milk (or fat free/almond/soy whatever floats your boat). Eventually you will adjust your taste. A good roast of coffee is amazing on its own and too many additives mask its glory.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Fit the coffees into your calories and macros and I see no problem losing weight.
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee on a daily basis, but sometimes I like to grab a cup from Starbucks on my way to work. Yes, they have a lot of calories, especially sugar, but what I noticed is that it curbs my appetite. Now, I don't know if it is the coffee or the other stuff that makes me less hungry.
  • rstandrew
    rstandrew Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    try cutting back on the cream and sugar. if anything coffee should help you lose weight because caffeine is an appetite suppressant and coffee is a natural diuretic and laxative.
  • littlemeowmaid
    littlemeowmaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know poeple who've lost weight by quiting energy drinks, but they're much higher in calories,
    just log your coffee as anything else and stay under your calories. I've found whenever I try and give up something I end up replacing it with something else. I love jasmine green tea, but I couldn't give up coffee for it! :P
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Mayo clinic says that caffeine may stimulate thermogenesis which burns calories. Drink up.

BTW I also drink green tea (no sweetener) and have found that it is beneficial. Google the benefits of green tea.
  • ak_honda
    ak_honda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking caffeine in general (I typically only drink water or juices now); I found that I am much happier, active, alert and my skin improved greatly once i was able to cut out all the caffeine. I get headaches now when I do have that occasional drink so have to offset it with an Advil before i start drinking it.

i also have more money each pay period since cutting it out. :-)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    At least switch to a sugar free or fat free creamer to save on calories...and log the calories from it. The coffee itself doesnt have the calories..its the stuff you add to it that does.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee black sometimes, but it is nice to have sweeter coffee occasionally. I use a little bit of Silk unsweetened almond milk and stevia... adds up to a whole 8 calories. There are also lots of delicious teas that don't need anything added to them if you MUST have sugar and creamer in coffee. Some of my favorites are mint green tea and pomegranate-acai.