Hey Greek Yogurt Lovers!!

Options
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE greek yogurt. I eat it for breakfast a ton. However, I always get the vanilla flavor which has quite a bit of sugar. I am trying to keep my sugar to a moderate daily amount so I started getting the plain greek yogurt. However, Its just not as sweet obviously as the vanilla. Besides adding fruit any ideas on how to sweeten (or spice lol) the plain yogurt up? :p

Replies

• rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Learn to love it without sweeteners? I love it with some Kashi cereal thrown in and a bit of powdered cinnamon
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Do you like honey? That is the way most Greeks eat everything! Everything sweetened with honey!:smile:
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I hear some people are adding protein powder to their yogurt, never tried it myself though!
  • baker150
    baker150 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like to add maple syrup to my plain yogurt! Or honey as someone else mentioned.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat plain Greek yogurt daily with strawberries and blueberries. Sometimes raspberries and blackberries.

I'd also recommend using the Greek yogurt to coat chicken for dinner. Google some recipes. It makes the chicken very juicy and delicious.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Do you like honey? That is the way most Greeks eat everything! Everything sweetened with honey!:smile:

Hmm actually, I really have never given honey a try with or on anything lol I will have to.
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat plain Greek yogurt daily with strawberries and blueberries. Sometimes raspberries and blackberries.

I'd also recommend using the Greek yogurt to coat chicken for dinner. Google some recipes. It makes the chicken very juicy and delicious.

This sounds interesting! :)
  • Amanda82691
    Options

I would never of thought to use it with chicken, but I guess now that I think about it would make a great substitue for sour cream :p
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My favorite is from a blog called Life of Meg, Skinny Greek Yogurt Chicken. I copied and pasted this:

Ingredients:

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup plain greek yogurt (I used Oikos)
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese - grated
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2) Combine greek yogurt, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper in a bowl.

3) Line baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.

4) Coat each chicken breast in greek yogurt mixture and place on foiled baking sheet.

5) Bake for 45 minutes.

Yes, I told you, the world's easiest meal, and clean-up is even easier!
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome recipe! I usually have grilled garlic seasoned chicken breast mixed in with cucumber salad- with a dressing made of :

fage yogurt, olive oil, minced garlic, avocado, cilantro, lemon, salt & pepper :) sooo good

Fage yogurt is the best I've found with 23 g protein for every 9 carbs! & to make it sweet i just put splenda with vanilla extract
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would have the plain nonfat greek yogurt with berries and drizzle 1 tsp of honey on it for a natural sugar source---or blend it up into a smoothie with some fruit!!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My favorite is from a blog called Life of Meg, Skinny Greek Yogurt Chicken. I copied and pasted this:

Ingredients:

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup plain greek yogurt (I used Oikos)
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese - grated
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2) Combine greek yogurt, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper in a bowl.

3) Line baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.

4) Coat each chicken breast in greek yogurt mixture and place on foiled baking sheet.

5) Bake for 45 minutes.

Yes, I told you, the world's easiest meal, and clean-up is even easier!

I don't eat fowl but this sounds great. I wonder what it would taste like with fish?
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome recipe! I usually have grilled garlic seasoned chicken breast mixed in with cucumber salad- with a dressing made of :

fage yogurt, olive oil, minced garlic, avocado, cilantro, lemon, salt & pepper :) sooo good

Fage yogurt is the best I've found with 23 g protein for every 9 carbs! & to make it sweet i just put splenda with vanilla extract

How much vanilla per cup of yogurt do you use??
  • millicent108
    millicent108 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe just try adding your own 1/4; 1/2 tsp of vanilla flavouring. I like to add a tablespoon of bran buds on top, along with berries.
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Options
    I honestly Love Greek Yogurt A lot :flowerforyou:
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I add sugar free jello crystals - yum!
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Hmm actually, I really have never given honey a try with or on anything lol I will have to.

Don't forget, though, that honey has a lot of sugar, too! I put honey in mine, but it doesn't take much honey to send the sugar back up to where you were in the first place!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I love Fage. I eat it a lot for breakfast. My favorite right now is to top it with diced apple, a little bit of banana, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of Nature's Path Peanut Butter Granola. It tastes like you are eating a caramel apple. Yummo! I don't know if this is low enough in sugar for you but I don't mind sugar that comes from natural sources like fruit or honey. I buy locally harvested honey. There are lots of health benefits to locally harvested honey. It has actually helped my husbands terrible seasonal allergies.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If you eat it with granola/trailmix/crunchy cereal it tastes amazing. If it's plain greek just use a tablespoon as sour cream and it tastes very similar (obviously thicker), also, I use plain greek yogurt to replace mayonnaise, egg salad, thin layer seasoned with paprika and garlic powder on a burger/sandwich.. etc. I love plain greek yogurt :)
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I add a little bit of agave nectar - gives it a yummy caramel flavor!