Losing weight, losing money on wardrobe

Options
acogg
acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
How will I know when I have reached my sustainable end weight? I partially went through my clothes closet and I had new clothes that I bought months ago, still with tags, that I will have to give away. I have almost nothing that fits me, but then I go shopping and then lose more weight. I can't imagine losing more than one size, but that's obvioulsy what I thought when I bought size twelve. I have wasted a tremendous amount of money on clothes while trying to have a decent wardrobe. I don't want to do it again.

My hairdresser is getting my 12-14's, but that's not the point. How does everyone do/afford this life change?

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problem. I bought a few new things when I got to size 16 and they are now falling off. I have been trying to stick to Goodwill for the time being. The clothes are cheap and it's a good way to figure out what size you are in different brands. I don't know when I'll decide that I can really shop again though. Maybe after I've maintained one weight for six months?
  • chio_04
    chio_04 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

What i tend to do is get shirts that might fit just right when I buy them, but will still look great loose. Also use belts around your waist. You can also buy smaller spaghetti strap shirts, which aren't expensive, and keep using your cardigans and use belts with them. When it comes to pants, I suggest buying just a couple blue jeans with no special designs, that way you can use them very often and no one will know but you.

Hope this help!
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also shop at thrift stores for the moment, just bought 3 pair of jeans for $10 last week!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have almost the same problem. I used to be thinner, so I have a closet full of things that will fit me in about 20 pounds, and things that fit me 30 lbs ago...but nothing for the time being. Thankfully I hit some black friday sales that allowed me to get a few pair of pants pretty cheap. There needs to be a group dedicated to the exchange of clothing so that people can attempt to do it cheaply!
  • Josh_H
    Josh_H Posts: 1,151
    Options
    I had the same prob, Rather than buy every size of clothes I went through. I just waited until I lost almost all of the weight and bought clothes then. I knew I wouldn't be in the transition clothes long.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting till I'm at goal
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    When I go shopping - I try stuff on, but always buy it in a size or 2 smaller than what fits me. As I am losing weight, I fit into those clothes and I just keep going down like that.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Get the clothes tailored. It isn't as expensive as giving the clothes away for free.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought a lot of new clothes when I first started losing. I don't think I really believed I'd come as far as I have, 102 lbs lost so far. Unfortunately that was a huge waste because I didn't get much use out of them. I'm thinking of taking them to a resale shop hoping to get a little money for them. I've been lucky that I had quite a few smaller clothes, but I have had to buy new jeans. I make sure they're stretchy so they'll fit through a couple sizes. I still have about 50 lbs to go before I reassess my goal, so until then I'll just buy clothes that are as cheap as possible. I love the idea of a clothing swap that was mentioned above. Great idea!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will use every suggestion. Keep the tips coming because it is an expense that every weight loss experiences.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Win some - lose some- I have winter clothes I bought last year that were too small to button up but fit now - with some spare room - so I'll get more wear out of them. I was about to go out tonight to get some new casual pants - there was a 20% sale at the store I buy from - luckily I checked the very back of my closet and found a brand new pair that I must have bought at the wrong size and fits perfect now (would have been too small 2 weeks ago) so I didn't have to buy any tonight. Sadly (or maybe not) I found 2 pairs of pants that are now too big and were never worn.

I bought one light weight winter top a month ago that was on sale- and its the next size down - I'm hoping I can get into it before next year. I had a chance to buy some nice coats 40% off on Friday, but restrained - I have no idea what my final right size will be.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Buy belts and just deal with baggie cloths for a while. I don't buy pants until I go down two sizes, and I always buy a little tight so it will last longer. Its just to expensive to get new cloths each time you go down a size.
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Shopping at thrift stores, combing through sale racks.
    I generally only wear two pairs of pants (jeans, because my job is casual) in a skinny fit: black and dark navy wash.
    I like the look of oversized shirts regardless, and try to go for men's v-necks, button ups, etc. Same goes for coats- although this season will probably be the last season I can wear my large winter ones! Basically I try to be flexible and forego really good finds because I know that later down the road I'll look fantastic, but won't be able to wear it.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I am ever the optomist. I kept my clothes on the way up, so that I can wear them on the way down. Lol
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    eBay, buy new smaller clothes and sell your old clothes!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I buy one pair of jeans, one pair of dress pants, a few inexpensive workout clothes, and a few inexpensive tops, and maybe a skirt or dress in each size. My mother in law finds a lot of the tops at thrift stores and I get the rest at Costco or JC Penney and get great deals. This way I don't feel bad donating it when it no longer fits.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    i sold all of my too big clothes on ebay and used the cash to buy smaller things. Like you i had lots of things with tags on and no way was i giving them away. I was lucky though as i also had a wardrobe full of things that were too small since i refused to see my true size and bought things i told myself would fit or i imagined i would diet into them
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of second hand clothes, especially when I know I won't be wearing them for long. I'm not a tall person and for me size change can happen in as little as 15 lbs.

If you are buying transitional clothes that you know you will wear for only 3 months then shop at the clearance racks, whether you shop at Macy's or Target or Walmart you can find things ridiculously cheap that way. I bought a $10 dress that used to be $120. I can wear it with a long sleeve t-shirt to get it through the season and in the spring it's simple cut will allow it to be taken in if I want to do it.

Jean waistbands can be sucked in a bit. I don't wear a ton of jeans so I'm only replacing them every other size as I change. This tip helps with a pair that is getting too big: http://tipnut.com/customize-jeans/
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I was lucky though as i also had a wardrobe full of things that were too small since i refused to see my true size and bought things i told myself would fit or i imagined i would diet into them

This! I have a pair of new pants I bought maybe 4 years ago that won't fit me till February, and the last time I would have fit into them was over 30 years ago.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    For work clothes, I tend to stick with more affordable basics, and have one week's worth of outfits. I feel better and perform better when I'm in clothes that fit properly, rather than loose and baggy. When I feel like I have stabilized at my final size, I will start investing in some higher end clothes - because at that point tailoring will be worth it for a wardrobe that fits perfectly.