Losing weight, losing money on wardrobe

Options

Replies

• kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The sale rack, thrift stores and smaller sizes already existing in my wardrobe.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I know I donated my clothes that are too big, to be wear a smaller size which is not too big. Guess I will be wearing them baggy until I know what is my right size!
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Buy a few nice clothes for yourself, you've earned it. Just think how much money you are saving in future medical bills.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My style is fairly simple, so I'm purchasing a few plain tops I really like and can wear often as I lose with scarves, etc. they aren't expensive and I can order down a few more sizes as needed. my skirts are forgiving and working fine through a few size drops. I just purchased two pair of jeans 2 sizes from my start size :) and should be good for a while. I wear skirts more than pants (flat butt = hard pants fit).

I'm big on layers so tanks/camis under shirt or cardi allows for some leeway.

I'll be hitting resale shops when I'm at a size they carry ;)

You can do it!
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've just kept the clothes I had when I was thinner, so I can wear them as I lose the weight. When I gain weight, I wear my husbands shirts so I don't have to suffer the disappointment of buying a bigger size. :X
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Sadly I cannot say I know what you're going through yet. However, this is a worry I have. I have a "skinny clothes" box that has a variety of stuff from when I was smaller that I hope to fit back into one day. I personally wear similar things every day. My favorite outfit is sweat pants and a tee shirt. I will probalby just stock up on enough to fit me for a couple more sizes adn keep using the clothes I have. Maybe buy a couple cute things that fit perfectly in case of an event.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Walmart and thrift stores are the only reasons I have anything.
    Also buy pants with ties...they last about a size longer. :)
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This is no easy cheap task. You're not the only one with this issue. I just bought pants 3 weeks ago that are now bunching up in the front. It's difficult to spend money on nice clothes during a transformation. You may just need to keep a smaller wardrobe during this time, until you get to a maintenance weight. I have never been one for thrift stores, but it may be a cheaper alternative. At the very least, try some outlet malls for price savings on designer clothes.
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I waited until I had dropped two or three sizes before buying a small wardrobe that will see me through for now and when I've dropped a few more sizes. Two pairs of stretch jeans, a few nice shirts, two dresses, and a skirt. I've learned that belts, cardigans, and cheap tanks/long-sleeved t-shirts are my best friends! I've gotten from late summer until now by using elastic and leather belts and by layering. I still have jersey dresses that fit me at my largest, but if I belt them they still look alright. A belt also will do wonders for a large top! Tights are cheap and can see you from season to season. I've learned to dart my jeans, and with the long cardigans no one but me knows!

Think ahead while purchasing things now, and invest in accessories that will suit a changing shape. Other than that, charity shops, boot/garage sales, and online swaps are amazing!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Most good dry cleaners do alterations. I typically costs me $18 to take in the waist/hips and shorten slacks.
  • knittiki
    knittiki Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar problem because I am now smaller then any of my skinny clothes. What is really killing me is bras. I have spent probably 200 bucks on bras this last year and none of them fit me anymore. I asked for a bra and running shoes for xmas. I am officially a grown up I guess.

I love a good thrift store but can't really buy bras and underwear there.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar problem because I am now smaller then any of my skinny clothes. What is really killing me is bras. I have spent probably 200 bucks on bras this last year and none of them fit me anymore. I asked for a bra and running shoes for xmas. I am officially a grown up I guess.

I spent an hour fitting myself with bras at Walmart and then ordered two awesome, perfectly fitting ones on Amazon for excellent prices. You wear them all the time. You don't need a lot if you wash them out. They change how everything else you wear fits. It was only $28.
  • knittiki
    knittiki Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was a 38H not something you could find at any regular store. I tried! The last bra I got was a 34E/F. Now I think I may be able to fit in a 34 d? I am more excited to get into "normal" sized bra then I was when I fit into a size 10 jean.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Truly, this is the bane of my existence. I'm dropping rapidly so even when I buy new stuff pretty soon I look like a little boy playing dress up in his dad's clothes.

I've never really been in a thrift store, but recently I've decided that I have no choice in the matter. I'm finally getting to a point where I can buy normal human clothes and have some options instead of "I'm gonna buy this because it's the only thing they have in my size.". So I'm looking forward to trying to find some nice things and perhaps some slacks and dress shirts.

I've been doing a lot of reading on men's fashions and I'm pretty stoked to be able to dress like a real grownup as soon as I can make time to get to the store :P
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yep - I hear ya. I've lost 3 full sizes since I started my weight loss, and I'm almost through my "not-yet bin".

For me, I've purchased some basic mix and match clothes. I have 3 pairs of pants in black, blue and khaki, and 1 pair of jeans. Tops last a bit longer since they can be worn a bit baggy without too much problem so I have more of them, but I'm getting to the point where I'll have to buy more tops too. This weekend my task is to take in a bunch of my tops, but you can only do that so much before it just looks weird. I have a lot of T-shirts that went from being able to wear them out, to only wearing for working out, to only wearing for pajamas, and now there are some that feel even too big for pajamas.

But I will say that I just really enjoyed buying a top in a 1X when I used to wonder if a 5X would fit!
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am a self admitted shopaholic - I can't stay away from a good deal! I've been buying clothes as "goals" since the day I started! To afford it, I take advantage of sales, sales, sales. Even today I came away with a ton of clothes for good prices (gotta love cyber monday)

Levi's jeans are one of the few that fit me *perfectly* even without a belt, so when they had their black friday sale this weekend, I stocked up - grabbing a pair of 28" and 27" (my goal waistline).
    Aeropostale also had an amazing sale - I got 2 pairs of black curvy skinny jeans for $10.50/pair.
    Even at Tilly's I basically purchased 50% of my summer wardrobe in one go. Shirts AND shorts for less than $5 each.

If money is tight and you aren't able to take advantage of sales when they come around, I also recommend what others have said - buying (when you can) leggings and looser fit tops (dolman style is my favorite).. These don't look bizarre when you wear them oversized, so you can get much more wear out of your size Large even if you're now a Small.

Of sizes I no longer wear, I sell what I can on ebay, and give away whatever doesn't. This method has gotten me through 5 sizes (and counting!)
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Do you live near a nordstrom rack? they have a lot of clearance bras for women with larger busts, and at very good prices compared to retail. A friend of mine who is an H cup was able to find bras from Freya & Fantasie there for (not cheap, but much more reasonable haha)

I am a fan of Wacoal/Natori, and I regularly pick up bras there for 50%+ off from retail.
  • morgaine108
    Options
    I did this once before and then had babies and gained it all back. Thrift stores and clearance, and always buy things that tend to run a little on the small side so that they will last a little longer. Only buy what you absolutely have to have, every other size usually works well. Also I have had some success on freecycle....found another woman who is also losing weight and is a little smaller than me so when the clothes are too big for her, she gives them to me. I am lucky this time around I kept some of the old skinny clothes so every once in a while I also just go digging through a storage bin in my closet and come out with some "new" clothes.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    As everyone else mentioned to to your local Salvation Army.. I'm obsessed with the deals just today I got two pairs of jeans and a romper for 6$ yea win win lol
  • 2KMILLER
    2KMILLER Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've always had "yo-yo weight issues" so I have wardrobes for all sizes 6 through 14. It takes an awful lot of storage but it's like shopping in your closet when you drop a size! I also have a friend network with ladies of all sizes. We swap clothes depending on our weight loss progress (or regression). My biggest and best secret has been to load up on dresses and skirts and to quit wearing (and buying) pants. I can wear size 8 dress even if I'm in size 12 pants. Skirts are the same. I guess that's because my extra weight is in my hips and butt. No need to buy extras for summer and during the winter, all I need to buy are the proper sized hosiery/tights/leggings. Stretchy jeans are also good but you have to dry them at high heat for them to regain their fit and they're just too droopy at the end of the day. Also, I cannot be without a proper pair of jeans so I'll hit up Old Navy whenever I drop some pounds: super cheap jeans that just might fall apart at about the same time you drop another size! I find that it's demoralizing to wear clothes that are too big. I need to show off my progress with a few choice and flexible (and cheapie) pieces!