Question about Medifast - anyone tried it?

pressica
pressica Posts: 361
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
My friend was telling me about the benefits of meal delivery from medi-fast but I don't know very much about it. I am a very busy college student who finds the idea of meals planned in advance to be convenient. Has anyone on MFP used Medifast to help lose weight? I don't see this as a long term solution, but something to help me out until the end of this semester when I have more time to cook. I am not looking for an easy way out, but merely to help until I can do more.

If you have tried medifast, were you able to maintain the weight loss? Did you have any problems eating the medifast meals? Would you recommend it to me? I would really appreciate any input that you all can give me.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    I haven't but a friend of mine is doing it right now. She has lost almost 20 pounds in a month. Gone from close to 190 down in the high 160's. She loves it - says it's the only thing she's been able to stick to. She said there is a really great board for support and that helps her. Definitely not a long term solution and it isn't cheap. She said the food has been fine. I think she was going to do it for 6 weeks and is now adding another 6 weeks because of her results. Hope that helps! Sorry I don't have any personal experience.

My opinion though is that you are far better off trying to set aside a day to make and freeze meals for the upcoming weeks/month and eat those. The easiest thing for me is that I buy chicken breast in bulk and immediately trim it, put it in a ziplock and put some kind of FF salad dressing to marinate it. Some go in the fridge for the week, rest go in the freezer. Easiest meal - pop it into a dish to bake and steam veggies while it's cooking.
  • Tried Medifast, but really didn't like the food. I didn't stick to it very well and it was expensive.
  • you will gain any weight lost back as soon as you go back to a regular way of eating. Look, there is no "easy pill" way of losing weight and keeping it off. Learn how to eat healthy, using MFP as a tool to see the reality of what you are putting in your mouth, and exercise. That's the only way and that's the truth. Trust me, I've tried many things to lose weight. If you have a busy schedule, learn how to accomodate your health around it. Your life will always be busy- no matter what season you are in. Just teach yourself how to do it!
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    I also have a friend who is doing it, but haven't done it myself. She has not kept off the weight she lost originally, because as soon as she stopped eating the "plan" food, and tried to eat just normal healthy meals, she gained her weight back, and now has been trying for nearly a month to lose weight and has lost 7 pounds so far, but she is constantly hungry, and frustrated, and I think she has now managed to throw her body into starvation mode as she refuses to eat even 1000 calories a day and only eating that medifast stuff and cabbage soup. Plus, as was said before me, it's expensive!

I also agree you should just make a few things ahead and freeze if you can, or just be somewhat simple in what you eat for awhile, not alot of changes so you can prepare something quick and simple for yourself. Oatmeal, fruits and veggies, salads, lean proteins, soups (just make sure you get LOW sodium) etc would probably still be better options if you can make the time.

Good luck with what you decide! :flowerforyou:
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    I did it as a jump start kind of then eased into eating regular foods back 5 years ago. All in all I lost 60 lbs in a matter of months and kept it off for about 4 years.

I love it, I would do it again in an instant, I just can't afford it these days. Its just a way of caloric restriction with super high protein and low carbs, so if you just cut your calories to under 1,000 a day and cut carbs then its the same thing. me I have issue with carbs so thats why i loved the Medifast.
This discussion has been closed.